W&M (10k/yr) Chicago Kent (22k/yr) MSU (Full-ride) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Kent
14%
W&M
43%
MSU
43%

Total votes: 14

Rdubs

New

W&M (10k/yr) Chicago Kent (22k/yr) MSU (Full-ride)

Post by Rdubs » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Those are my options. I would like to live in a large city for at least a few years of my life (the obvious draw to Kent), I would love to work in constitutional litigation in D.C.(the draw to W & M), and I have strong family ties to Michigan (the draw to MSU). I am also very interested in the competitive speaking events (moot court, trial teams, etc.) Thoughts?

dap2

New

Re: W&M (10k/yr) Chicago Kent (22k/yr) MSU (Full-ride)

Post by dap2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:35 pm

I'd take MSU. 22K per year is too much for Chicago Kent in my opinion. I understand the draw of a large city, but you could run up a lot of debt once you factor in an additional $20K for living expenses. Perhaps after school when you are (hopefully) drawing a salary is a better time to live in a big metro area.

If you won't be happy unless you work in D.C., you should choose W&M. However, keep in mind that even W&M does not place a large percentage of graduates in D.C. It would be quite a gamble, especially since you'll lose a full-ride in the bargain.

timbs4339

Gold

Re: W&M (10k/yr) Chicago Kent (22k/yr) MSU (Full-ride)

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Rdubs wrote:I would love to work in constitutional litigation in D.C.(the draw to W & M)

"Listen, there are like three lawyers in America who argue constitutional issues. They all went to Harvard and graduated in the 1970s. Did you go to Harvard?...Do you have a time machine that you can use to go back to the 1970s and graduate with those guys?"

Iconic video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

Return to “Choosing a Law School”