Chance at money? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rickgrimes69

Silver

Chance at money?

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:55 am

Last edited by rickgrimes69 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Chance at money?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote: My top choice at the moment is Northwestern and I’m honestly overjoyed to have gotten in (I do not have 2 years of work experience), but at the same time I am terrified of sticker. I feel similarly about Cornell and Georgetown, that I could only do either of them with at least a small, but not insubstantial scholarship, maybe 45K or 60K at those schools.
I think you need to give these schools this information. Let all three know your other options, and see if one will bite with some money. If not I think it's between Northwestern and Minnesota given your goals.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:26 pm

If you are coming straight from UG, which it sounds like you are, you might consider asking Northwestern if they would consider extending a scholarship offer for you for next cycle so that you can take a year to get work experience.

I know they have given money that way in the past.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:41 pm

You can try to leverage the UCLA and USC money with Cornell, GULC, and NU. Have you done this?

Because you have ties to Minnesota, it's not really necessary to go to UMinn to get a job there. I personally know people that have gone back to Minnesota from Cornell and I can only assume that you can just as easily get back there from GULC or NU.

For Chicago biglaw (without ties): NU > Michigan/NYU > Cornell/Duke > GULC > UCLA/USC/Minn

For NYC biglaw (without ties): NYU > Cornell > Michigan/NU/Duke > GULC > UCLA/USC > Minn

For Cali biglaw (without ties): UCLA/USC > NYU > Michigan > Cornell/NU/Duke > GULC > Minn

EDIT: If it were me with your goals, I'd go to Cornell or NU, depending on (i) which you like more and (ii) which gives you any money after seeing your UCLA/USC offers. If neither give you money, it's a bit of a tough call. I think I'd probably still do Cornell or NU at sticker, but I think most TLSers might say either USC or UCLA.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:04 pm

2014 wrote:If you are coming straight from UG, which it sounds like you are, you might consider asking Northwestern if they would consider extending a scholarship offer for you for next cycle so that you can take a year to get work experience.

I know they have given money that way in the past.
I'm a year out of UG, spent working in NYC Biglaw as a paralegal.
I think you need to give these schools this information. Let all three know your other options, and see if one will bite with some money.
Can I send them this info in an E-mail? Normally I'd do it by regular mail, but given the time constraints I'd like to get a response ASAP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”