Tulane vs. UC-Boulder Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Tulane or CO?

UC-Boulder
93%
Tulane
7%

Total votes: 27

UMatti

New

Tulane vs. UC-Boulder

Post by UMatti » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm on on the edge. It's come down to Tulane and Colorado and it's decision time as Tulane's 1st deposit deadline is Monday. Granted I don't receive any good news (very unlikely) from Michigan before that, I want to know what the TLS community has to say.

Some info;
I am going into 1L thinking about environmental law, but am keeping an open mind. I love to snowboard and the outdoors in CO would be awesome. I could see myself living in CO long-term, but probably not NOLA at this point. That said, I'm curious about Tulane's placement outside LA. I'm also quite interested in politics and have worked on the Hill a couple times, so ending up on the east coast would be a viable option. I'm pretty flexible all said and done.

Scholarships...
Tulane: $25k/yr
CO: 1st year tuition free, $10k per year after

(for those curious/applying soon)
LSAT: 167
GPA: 3.33

Thanks!

noleknight16

Silver

Re: Tulane vs. UC-Boulder

Post by noleknight16 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:15 pm

UMatti wrote:I could see myself living in CO long-term, but probably not NOLA at this point.
There's your answer. Enjoy Colorado!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm

CU-Boulder is much safer for you because you could see yourself living in CO long-term. The law school in Boulder would provide you with a terrific chance at having a great career in Colorado, whether that career be in law or politics.

Tulane may send more people to the east coast, but I'm not sure how that you would help you get into politics. Politics is who you know, not if you went to Tulane (unless of course, you are trying to have a political career in NOLA/Louisiana).

Furthermore, you need top 10% grades from Tulane to get that first job out east. Frankly, people with top 10% grades from CU-Boulder could probably hustle and land a job on the east coast as well. Anecdotally, I know two non-diverse 1Ls with paid summer work in D.C. in our 1L class.

CU.

UMatti

New

Post by UMatti » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for the great replies and information. I'll will gladly and excitedly be attending Colorado in the fall!

See you there!

NoleMatt

New

Post by NoleMatt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:CU-Boulder is much safer for you because you could see yourself living in CO long-term. The law school in Boulder would provide you with a terrific chance at having a great career in Colorado, whether that career be in law or politics.
What political job could he get that requires a JD? Not trolling, just curious .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:12 pm

UMatti wrote:I'm also quite interested in politics and have worked on the Hill a couple times, so ending up on the east coast would be a viable option. I'm pretty flexible all said and done.
So why go to law school?

Edit: Neither option, but most certainly not CU, will get you back to the east coast.

UMatti

New

Post by UMatti » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:13 pm

From an internship I did in a Congressman's office, I found that the House and Senate send out a weekly job postings bulletin. I've seen a few that require JD's; working on committees drafting legislation or as counsel.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm just saying I would not mind working on the east coast. I'm not saying I definitely want to end up there, which you seem to have thought.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:22 pm

UMatti wrote:From an internship I did in a Congressman's office, I found that the House and Senate send out a weekly job postings bulletin. I've seen a few that require JD's; working on committees drafting legislation or as counsel.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm just saying I would not mind working on the east coast. I'm not saying I definitely want to end up there, which you seem to have thought.

Sent you a PM

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Colorado is the better option for you, given your goals (cheaper, ties, and you like outdoors). However, if you are concerned about attempting to pursue a job on the east coast, Tulane would easily be the better option of the two.

Also, I think someone in this thread mentioned you needed to be top 10% to get a job on the east coast from Tulane, and that's just simply not true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UMatti

New

Post by UMatti » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:46 pm

In HS I worked in the House as a Page and in undergrad as a intern in an Congressman's office. My interest in DC, I think, comes from having liked the area and have a slightly better idea of what a career on the Hill would look like than say state politics. So DC isn't so much about location as it is politics/policy-making... which I could get involved in, given the opportunity, on the state level?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:53 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Colorado is the better option for you, given your goals (cheaper, ties, and you like outdoors). However, if you are concerned about attempting to pursue a job on the east coast, Tulane would easily be the better option of the two.

Also, I think someone in this thread mentioned you needed to be top 10% to get a job on the east coast from Tulane, and that's just simply not true.
I said 10% because I assumed people take their Tulane degree and go home with it, wherever home is.

From Tulane's most recent numbers, looks like about 1/4 the class worked in the "east," depending on how you defined that. However, most students are Tulane are from out of state. Wouldn't most of the employment outside of Louisiana be explained by students returning to where they have ties? 9% of the class was in New York-- this is where I pulled my top 10% from.

FWIW, I considered Tulane but was told by the admissions people I'd have options in Oklahoma, where I'm from, Louisiana, and New York with exceptional grades.

I chose CU so I could have Colorado or Oklahoma, although I really liked Tulane when I was there.

Feel free to explain Tulane's placement more accurately. Also, where are you from and do you hope to return home with your Tulane degree?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:56 pm

NoleMatt wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:CU-Boulder is much safer for you because you could see yourself living in CO long-term. The law school in Boulder would provide you with a terrific chance at having a great career in Colorado, whether that career be in law or politics.
What political job could he get that requires a JD? Not trolling, just curious .
For starters, usually 40% - 50% of congress has a law degree. There is a connection there that is impossible to ignore.

While having a JD is only "required" for a few political positions, going to U of State Law is the best way to meet and mingle with everyone who will run for office one day. Politics is who you know, and a JD from the local school is the best place to meet the right people.

In Colorado, I go to school with Ritter's son, who is following his fathers footsteps at CU Law.

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
FWIW, I considered Tulane but was told by the admissions people I'd have options in Oklahoma, where I'm from, Louisiana, and New York with exceptional grades.
Also, saying Tulane would help you in Oklahoma is horrendous advice. Tulane would not help you over any state school for employment in any state, with the exception of LSU and Louisiana.
which one is it bro

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UMatti

New

Post by UMatti » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Seems like "exceptional" grades at a t50 would place you pretty well over most state schools.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:30 pm

imbored25 wrote:
Also, saying Tulane would help you in Oklahoma is horrendous advice. Tulane would not help you over any state school for employment in any state, with the exception of LSU and Louisiana.
which one is it bro
Both. In the first quote I'm talking about myself, and I have ties to Oklahoma. In the 2nd, I'm talking about a person who is trying to choose Tulane over OU Law for employment in Oklahoma. That is idiotic, bro.

Tulane for Louisiana plus where you have ties is doable. That is different than saying Tulane will "help you" get Oklahoma if you are from Oklahoma. It will make it possible, but the correct choice is OU Law for Oklahoma.
Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 pm

UMatti wrote:Seems like "exceptional" grades at a t50 would place you pretty well over most state schools.
Confused by this. You mean getting exceptional grades at say, CU - Boulder or Tulane, would place you over Mizzou grads for Missouri? If so, that is a horrendous fallacy brought to you by the good people at USNEWS. If not, feel free to explain.

UMatti

New

Post by UMatti » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:43 pm

I have no idea about Missouri. I just imagine that if you're in the top 10% of your class you have more flexibility across state lines, especially if your school has some regional recognition. I'm not saying a top 10% CU grad is going to dominate over a Michigan State grad (in Michigan), or a Missouri grad (in Missouri)... just that if anyone is going to have a shot at competing with these state schools it'll be the top 10% and that this is in fact possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:14 pm

UMatti wrote:I have no idea about Missouri. I just imagine that if you're in the top 10% of your class you have more flexibility across state lines, especially if your school has some regional recognition. I'm not saying a top 10% CU grad is going to dominate over a Michigan State grad (in Michigan), or a Missouri grad (in Missouri)... just that if anyone is going to have a shot at competing with these state schools it'll be the top 10% and that this is in fact possible.
I think you might be technically right, but in a way that is similar to the admission dean for Mich saying 8 people were enrolled in the law school fellowship program when the nine month reporting date rolled around, instead of saying that 20% of the class had participated in the program.

You may be missing the point. I mean, it is hard to explain because hiring is so contextual. Yes, If you get top 10% from Tulane and have a real desire and reason to live in Michigan, maybe you can get a job there. Think something along the lines of "my fiancee is born and raised in Michigan and wants to live near her family." But even here, you are not at the front of the line over someone from MSU, and really someone in the top 10% from MSU with a similar story could (nearly) as easily convince an employer in NOLA to take a chance on them. It all depends on a lot of variables.

However, no matter what, to go from Tulane to Michigan without ties you would have to get really lucky. The far better bet for employment in Michigan would be to go to school at Michigan State, even though it is a "TTT." Even though MSU sucks, you could spend three years networking building and building/growing ties. You will have worked, even if for free, at a few PI places and maybe scored a hourly wage shitlaw job while in law school. This person would have a real network; if they continued to hustle, they would probably be able to find something legal/quasi legal. What would the Tulane grad to? I mean, even if he was marrying someone in the state, how big is her/their legal network in the state of Michigan? Any law school buddies that can get you on part-time at shitfirm on a project basis to pay the rent? I guess the Tulane guy could work really hard to spend his summers in Michigan, but then he would probably should just transfer to a school in Michigan.

Some people are more portable than others, but the basic rule is " go to law school where you want to practice. " Think about it-- even the portable Tulane grad who was lucky enough to score a jerb in Michigan probably could have gotten a better start on their legal career in NOLA.

I know a top 20% guy from UW who moved to Colorado for his wife job. He is a nice, normal looking dude who could have definitely had some good options in Seattle. In Colorado, he passed the bar and then sacked groceries at safeway for one year. He could never get a firm gig no matter what size, and eventually he went solo in real estate law. It has taken him ten years to become successful because he didn't know anyone, and of course he would have starved to death directly after quitting safeway had he not had money from his wife. Point is great grades prove that you are "smart enough" and likely a grinder, which is great but if you don't know anyone who could hire you aren't likely to get a job. Things would be different if there were more jobs, but we all know that's a laugh.

UMatti

New

Post by UMatti » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:09 pm

I should have added that I no desire to return to Michigan.
Can I see myself living in CO long term? yes. Nola? no.

I like the idea of spending 3 years in NOLA and moving to CO, but if this is going to significantly affect my job prospects it is in no way worth it. Also, as I imagine most people would, I'd like to keep as many options open as possible (i.e. DC?). It seems Tulane is better than CO for this, but that neither is especially good so...

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:44 pm

UMatti wrote:
Also, as I imagine most people would, I'd like to keep as many options open as possible (i.e. DC?). It seems Tulane is better than CO for this, but that neither is especially good so...
D.C. for big law is the most competitive. Big Fed is crazy competitive. I think Tulane would be better for a small shot at NYC big law, but I'm not sure about D.C.. Maybe Aberzombie can pipe in here. But yeah I think both schools would be a horrible idea for D.C.

Good luck with your choice and if you decide on CO feel free to PM with any logistical questions you may have.

pugilistjd

Bronze

Post by pugilistjd » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote: D.C. for big law is the most competitive. Big Fed is crazy competitive. I think Tulane would be better for a small shot at NYC big law, but I'm not sure about D.C.
Just some anecdotal evidence: I know a guy who was top 10% at Tulane class of 2010 and got DC big law. He's from Pittsburgh originally.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UMatti

New

Post by UMatti » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 pm

Just found out I got into UC-Davis (sticker), this might complicate things.. Still in research mode, so any input would be great!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue May 01, 2012 9:26 am

UMatti wrote:Just found out I got into UC-Davis (sticker), this might complicate things.. Still in research mode, so any input would be great!
Davis at sticker is not worth it.

If you want to be in CO long term, go to CU. Boulder is the shit.

petite chouette

New

Post by petite chouette » Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 am

UMatti wrote:Just found out I got into UC-Davis (sticker), this might complicate things.. Still in research mode, so any input would be great!
Congrats! Did you get in off the waitlist?

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:38 am

250k for a middling T30 like Davis sounds brilliant

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”