Which Florida law school for Fall 2012? (2) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which Florida Law School?

FSU: $45k ladder scholarship ($7500 per semester) 2.8 GPA stipulation
34%
UF: $21k, ($3500 per semester) 2.8 GPA stipulation
57%
Stetson: Full Ride + $2000 per semester stipend (top 50% of class stipulation)
9%

Total votes: 47

allbluemagic

New

Which Florida law school for Fall 2012? (2)

Post by allbluemagic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Hello again, I posted awhile back about the law school options and they have since changed due to new offers from my top choices.I am currently in the process of making my final decision on where I am going to attend next year, and I have to decided within the next day or two.

After all is said and done, I want to go to the school which will give me the best job prospects in the State of Florida after graduating, but I have not yet decided on a city that I would want to live in after graduation. (most likely orlando or in the st. pete/tampa area). I am in commercial real estate in orlando now, and may one day want to get into development law. I am also interested in entrepreneurship and may want to land in the realm of IP or patent law. I also may want to pursue a dual degree while in school as well..a JD/MBA is a possibility. That being said here are my options:

Background (BS in Finance/Real Estate from FSU, 3.6 GPA, 164 LSAT)

FSU: $45k ladder scholarship ($7500 per semester) 2.8 GPA stipulation

UF: $21k, 2.8 GPA stipulation

Stetson: Full Ride + $4k/yr stipend (top 50% of class stip)

Also, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I AM IN A POSITION TO NEGOTIATE BETTER OFFERS FOR MYSELF WITH THE NOTION THAT PEOPLE WITH SIMILAR NUMBERS TO MINE ARE GETTING BETTER OFFERS. From what I read, the offers I have received are pretty fair in terms of what others are getting. I am going to ask UF for money this week because I just received FSU's revised offer this evening Thank you all!

SilverE2

Silver

Re: Which Florida law school for Fall 2012? (2)

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Stetson is a piece of shit.

UF/FSU are virtually identically in job prospects. However, with your MBA aspirations (though a JD/MBA is generally an awful idea), UF has a much better b-school than FSU.

But the FSU scholly is nicer. I would probably choose FSU.

SunshineMagic

Bronze

Post by SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:52 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Stetson is a piece of shit.

UF/FSU are virtually identically in job prospects. However, with your MBA aspirations (though a JD/MBA is generally an awful idea), UF has a much better b-school than FSU.

Stetson is not a piece of shit and if all the other retarded schools in Florida would have never opened after stetson the market down there would not be so shitty...... Also just to piss on you parade an MBA from FSU is like shitting in the wind. FSU licks balls. Go there if you want to live with white trash panhandle retards who love Velveeta.

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Negotiate for no stipulation at FSU, otherwise you may be surprised how very tight the curve is.... you probably would be fine but take the pressure off anyway thats unnecessary pressure. Rather not have that hanging over your head, and they have done no stipulations before.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:10 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:

Stetson is not a piece of shit and if all the other retarded schools in Florida would have never opened after stetson the market down there would not be so shitty...... Also just to piss on you parade an MBA from FSU is like shitting in the wind. FSU licks balls. Go there if you want to live with white trash panhandle retards who love Velveeta.
Did I say FSU has a good MBA program? Learn to read.

And what exactly is your definition of "not a piece of shit." They have a $55,000 median salary with with 26.3% reporting. I mean holy fuck, if you wanted a definition of "scam law school," Stetson is it.

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by SilverE2 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:11 pm

UF is better, but not 24K better
Pick FSU

SunshineMagic

Bronze

Post by SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

And what exactly is your definition of "not a piece of shit." They have a $55,000 median salary with with 26.3% reporting. I mean holy fuck, if you wanted a definition of "scam law school," Stetson is it.

--LinkRemoved--
They are a scam because 26.3% are reporting a salary? Did you take statistics? Yes I know they do not do as well as a couple other schools in the state but they are not a scam they were there before all the other schools opened. Also 55k in Tampa is not that bad the only 2 or 3 NLJ firms in town only pay like 95.... Also please look across the I-4 corridor at ever state attorneys(DAs) office and PDs office and all the benches in that area and the supreme court of florida and tell me its a piece of shit...

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
They are a scam because 26.3% are reporting a salary? Did you take statistics? Yes I know they do not do as well as a couple other schools in the state but they are not a scam they were there before all the other schools opened. Also 55k in Tampa is not that bad the only 2 or 3 NLJ firms in town only pay like 95.... Also please look across the I-4 corridor at ever state attorneys(DAs) office and PDs office and all the benches in that area and the supreme court of florida and tell me its a piece of shit...
Oh my God, you're brand new aren't you. Well let me blow your fucking mind, usually when a school reports only 25% of their class, it's because the rest of the class is unemployed. At this point, I'm fairly certain you're defending Stetson with such vigor because you're likely considering attending there. Don't. Tuition only is $110k, and factoring in another $20k a year in cost of living expenses you're looking at $170k in debt. For a school that you have NO IDEA how 75% of the class is doing. Sure, they could all be living the life on yachts popping bottles with models, but more than likely if the school did not hunt them down to find out their employment status, they're unemployed or severely underemployed (think barista at Starbucks).

As to the apparent makeup of the Florida Supreme Court...the Stetson grads there likely graduated very very long time ago and graduated at the top of their class. Additionally, with a graduating class of OVER 1000 (HOLY FUCK, DOES THIS NUMBER NOT BLOW YOUR MIND??), the Cooley factor is strong. Graduate enough people and two or three of them are likely to make it.

SunshineMagic

Bronze

Post by SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:10 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

Oh my God, you're brand new aren't you. Well let me blow your fucking mind, usually when a school reports only 25% of their class, it's because the rest of the class is unemployed. At this point, I'm fairly certain you're defending Stetson with such vigor because you're likely considering attending there. Don't. Tuition only is $110k, and factoring in another $20k a year in cost of living expenses you're looking at $170k in debt. For a school that you have NO IDEA how 75% of the class is doing. Sure, they could all be living the life on yachts popping bottles with models, but more than likely if the school did not hunt them down to find out their employment status, they're unemployed or severely underemployed (think barista at Starbucks).

As to the apparent makeup of the Florida Supreme Court...the Stetson grads there likely graduated very very long time ago and graduated at the top of their class. Additionally, with a graduating class of OVER 1000 (HOLY FUCK, DOES THIS NUMBER NOT BLOW YOUR MIND??), the Cooley factor is strong. Graduate enough people and two or three of them are likely to make it.
Let me blow your mother fucking mind cock breath just because only 25% of surveyors respond does not mean the other 75% percent are unemployed some people don't give a fuck about surveys....
What about "as to the apparent make up" at the State Attorneys and PD offices from st pete beach through orlando to Daytona beach?????? What about the 2010-11 graduates at every major firm in Tampa and orlando including Fowler, Butler Pappas, Morgan and Morgan Bush Ross, Banker fucking etc. trash....

Also the class in not 1000 that is the entire school 350 is the class size cock.
Last edited by SunshineMagic on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:15 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

Let me blow your mother fucking mind cock breath just because only 25% of surveyors respond does not mean the other 75% percent are unemployed some people don't give a fuck about surveys....
I am attending stetson with a very substantial scholarship that is "gasp" only stipulated on good academic standing at this school that is a piece of shit scam? I thought scam schools gave out teaser schollys?
What about "as to the apparent make up" at the State Attorneys and PD offices from st pete beach through orlando to Daytona beach?????? What about the 2010-11 graduates at every major firm in Tampa and orlando including Fowler, Butler Pappas, Morgan and Morgan Bush Ross, Banker fucking etc. trash....

Oh my..............

SunshineMagic

Bronze

Post by SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

I am attending stetson with a very substantial scholarship that is "gasp" only stipulated on good academic standing at this school that is a piece of shit scam? I thought scam schools gave out teaser schollys?
Also the class in not 1000 that is the entire school 350 is the class size cock.

Oh my..............
had to add the edit

specialsnowflake

New

Post by specialsnowflake » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

inches? that's pretty impressive

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SunshineMagic

Bronze

Post by SunshineMagic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:33 pm

rad lulz wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote: Let me blow your mother fucking mind cock breath just because only 25% of surveyors respond does not mean the other 75% percent are unemployed some people don't give a fuck about surveys....
Research generally supports that if you do better in re employment, you're more likely to respond. Also it doesn't speak well that they don't care to figure out what the other 75% are doing. $55k is solid with no debt, but the school is expensive. And $55k from Stetson would be an awesome outcome.

ITE local govt is hilariously depressed bro.

Also, only the tippity top of the class is in sniffing distance of even local large firms like Bush Ross, Lowndes, etc. Morgan and Morgan (lol) isn't hiring fresh grads. They don't need to. Paralegals churn out the work mainly. It's a mill. There are like 50 SA spots total in both Orlando and Tampa these days.
I agree Florida is in the shitter.... I have been told Florida is about to rebound big time but that is from dumb mortgage bankers and real estate developers.... Ether way that does not make stetson a scam or a piece of shit. Also M&M did hire a 1st year associate but his last name is morgan haha so I think he had an in.....

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:33 pm

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:34 pm

SunshineMagic wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:38 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoleMatt

New

Post by NoleMatt » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:19 am

rad lulz wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:I agree Florida is in the shitter.... I have been told Florida is about to rebound big time but that is from dumb mortgage bankers and real estate developers.... Ether way that does not make stetson a scam or a piece of shit. Also M&M did hire a 1st year associate but his last name is morgan haha so I think he had an in.....
I wouldn't go so far as to say "piece of shit," but it's certainly a "scam" in the sense that they graduate way more people than could ever hope to be employed in the I4 corridor as lawyers, much less repay hefty debts. So in that respect, it's a scam just like the vast majority of law schools actually. Their emphasis on "international law" is a joke. It was a mediocre idea when the economy was good, and for most of the grads nowadays, it will have been a bad investment.

Firms definitely are still cautious about hiring, so I guess even if those developers/bankers are right, no one cares.
No bro, don't you get it? Stetson Lawl was around WAY before these other poser law schools, so it must be better. Only reporting employment info for a quarter of your class isn't a bad thing, don't you know anything about statistics?!???!! The other 75% of the class is probably too busy balling all throughout the I4 corridor. Do you have any idea what it's like to make $55k in beautiful Plant City, FL?! If you ignore the high 5, maybe 6 figure debt, it's pretty god damned sweet.

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:29 am

My best guess is that UF is a bit better for Orlando. It's a tough call though, and 24k is a lot of money.

But, seriously, what the actual fuck is going on ITT.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:46 am

I voted FSU, but im a FSU 1L.

The odds are you wont be making the big bucks from either school, so the extra 24k might be helpful.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 am

Based on your background, interests & career goals, the joint JD/MBA degree is a smart move. Many suggest otherwise probably because law firms don't specifically recruit dual degree candidates, but that is of little importance in your situation due to your work experience & career goals.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

allbluemagic

New

Post by allbluemagic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:46 pm

I submitted my offer letters from FSU and Stetson to UF yesterday and they came up to a total of $27k now, which is almost a half scholarship.

I met with a lawyer in Orlando this morning whom went to Stetson in the early 90's and he said go to Stetson hands down (he didn't get in to UF though). He did however concede that the job market and economy is unpredictable and that UF will position me for the best opportunity to land a good job upon graduation (obviously this is dependent on me being on the higher end of my graduating class). He said he doesn't know many FSU lawyers in the Orlando market. He said FSU law can lead to dead-end government or political jobs. I think I am going to rule FSU out because I also DO NOT want to spend another 3 years in Tallahassee after having completed undergrad there. I HATE the city with a passion.

In fact, most of the lawyers I met with this year in Orlando and Tampa from bigger firms (H & K, LDK&R, etc.) were from UF. The lawyer told me that although it would be nice to graduate from Stetson with no debt, UF will give me a better chance to pay off the debt that I will have to take on. Additionally, he told me the grading at Stetson is tougher than UF because UF is harder to get into. He said the average students get C's at Stetson while the average students at UF get B's and some firms do not take that into consideration when they are hiring. Nonetheless, he advised me to choose Stetson for financial reasons.

In reflection of my father's advice though, I think I am going to choose UF. My father is a physician who got into Harvard Medical School but chose Kansas University, an in-state school for him, for financial reasons. He said it is one of his biggest regrets of his life. He advised me to go to the better school, especially if the debt is going to be under $50k.

Any thoughts on this?

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:01 pm

allbluemagic wrote:In fact, most of the lawyers I met with this year in Orlando and Tampa from bigger firms (H & K, LDK&R, etc.) were from UF.
You literally have to be number 1-5 in your class at Stetson to have any shot at these firms.

If your choice is UF v. Stetson it really isn't a decision at all if you want to end up working as a lawyer, especially if you want even an outside chance at a big firm (again, I wouldn't advise going to UF thinking you are going to get that, but it's possible).

NoleMatt

New

Post by NoleMatt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Indifferent wrote:
allbluemagic wrote:In fact, most of the lawyers I met with this year in Orlando and Tampa from bigger firms (H & K, LDK&R, etc.) were from UF.
You literally have to be number 1-5 in your class at Stetson to have any shot at these firms.

If your choice is UF v. Stetson it really isn't a decision at all if you want to end up working as a lawyer, especially if you want even an outside chance at a big firm (again, I wouldn't advise going to UF thinking you are going to get that, but it's possible).
TITCR. I understand a free legal education might be tempting, but if you want a realistic chance at meaningful legal employment at a big firm in Florida, you'd be insane to take Stetson over UF, even if Stetson is free.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:21 pm

allbluemagic wrote:I submitted my offer letters from FSU and Stetson to UF yesterday and they came up to a total of $27k now, which is almost a half scholarship.

I met with a lawyer in Orlando this morning whom went to Stetson in the early 90's and he said go to Stetson hands down (he didn't get in to UF though). He did however concede that the job market and economy is unpredictable and that UF will position me for the best opportunity to land a good job upon graduation (obviously this is dependent on me being on the higher end of my graduating class). He said he doesn't know many FSU lawyers in the Orlando market. He said FSU law can lead to dead-end government or political jobs. I think I am going to rule FSU out because I also DO NOT want to spend another 3 years in Tallahassee after having completed undergrad there. I HATE the city with a passion.

In fact, most of the lawyers I met with this year in Orlando and Tampa from bigger firms (H & K, LDK&R, etc.) were from UF. The lawyer told me that although it would be nice to graduate from Stetson with no debt, UF will give me a better chance to pay off the debt that I will have to take on. Additionally, he told me the grading at Stetson is tougher than UF because UF is harder to get into. He said the average students get C's at Stetson while the average students at UF get B's and some firms do not take that into consideration when they are hiring. Nonetheless, he advised me to choose Stetson for financial reasons.

In reflection of my father's advice though, I think I am going to choose UF. My father is a physician who got into Harvard Medical School but chose Kansas University, an in-state school for him, for financial reasons. He said it is one of his biggest regrets of his life. He advised me to go to the better school, especially if the debt is going to be under $50k.

Any thoughts on this?
Disregard all positive advice this dude gave you, given this qualifying statement.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”