UIUC ($$), UF, American ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pat4redick

New

UIUC ($$), UF, American ($$)

Post by pat4redick » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:28 pm

I don't post much but I have followed the forum on TLS since September and need some input on these three schools: UIUC ($$), UF, American ($$). Ideally I would like to end up in Mid-Atlantic or one of the big markets (DC, Boston, Chicago, NY, etc.) but I realize this is not a likely scenario and money is certainly a factor. I'm looking to give myself the best opportunity. Retake is not really an option for me.

I am waiting to hear back from BC, BU, and Fordham. WL: W&L, GW, and Emory.

As of now, I lean towards UIUC given its strong ties to Chicago and Big Law placement. UF is a close second given the significant money difference (in state) and quality education.

What are your thoughts?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: UIUC ($$), UF, American ($$)

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

pat4redick

New

Post by pat4redick » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:42 pm

UIUC - 110K for the 3 years.
American - 125K
UF - 50K

Estimated, give or take (excluding need based aid but given how late I applied, not likely)

Looking at Civil Litigation or Corporate. Still doing research on Securities but assume one of the two.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:
pat4redick wrote:UIUC - 110K for the 3 years.
American - 125K
UF - 50K

Estimated, give or take (excluding need based aid but given how late I applied, not likely)

Looking at Civil Litigation or Corporate. Still doing research on Securities but assume one of the two.
lol so basically anything but basically criminal work and also possible tax or admin. Though it sounds like you want to work in a large law firm (corporate work and securities). If so, the answer really is none of those, due to low chances of doing large firm work.

Honestly, I'd go to UF. I wouldn't pay $125k for American (it's an also-ran in DC) and I wouldn't pay $110 for UIUC (low shot at biglaw, and if you don't get a job in Chicago, you don't sound like you want to work somewhere else in IL). You probably won't get biglaw from UF, probably won't do siiiiqq corporate transactions or big deal securities shit, but the price is right, and you're from FL, which helps for getting a job.
+1. Florida is TCR here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pat4redick

New

Post by pat4redick » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:
pat4redick wrote:UIUC - 110K for the 3 years.
American - 125K
UF - 50K

lol so basically anything but basically criminal work and also possible tax or admin. Though it sounds like you want to work in a large law firm (corporate work and securities). If so, the answer really is none of those, due to low chances of doing large firm work.

Honestly, I'd go to UF. I wouldn't pay $125k for American (it's an also-ran in DC) and I wouldn't pay $110 for UIUC (low shot at biglaw, and if you don't get a job in Chicago, you don't sound like you want to work somewhere else in IL). You probably won't get biglaw from UF, probably won't do siiiiqq corporate transactions or big deal securities shit, but the price is right, and you're from FL, which helps for getting a job.
Yeah, I had pretty much ruled out American. Thanks for the input! In all honesty, I don't see the other options panning out and the money will eventually scare me off from UIUC. I have ties to FL's legal community which will certainly help, was just hoping to escape lol.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”