Deciding on a school...? Thoughts please! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I attend?

Baylor
12%
Gonzaga
12%
UNLV
76%

Total votes: 17

sandys627

New

Deciding on a school...? Thoughts please!

Post by sandys627 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:54 pm

I currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada and will be graduating from UNLV in May.

I live with family, making it easier financially. However, my family wants to move away from the Las Vegas area.

Basically, I have narrowed down my law school picks to Baylor, UNLV, and Gonzaga - all of which I have been accepted to. I have not yet recieved a scholarship offer from Baylor or Gonzaga, but Gonzaga is offering 75% of tuition with a 2.75 GPA.

Growing up the desert, I am unsure about the weather/enviornment in Waco, TX and Spokane, WA where Baylor and Gonzaga are located; however, I think a change of scenery would be nice.

Another thing to consider is the private v. public aspects of the schools, although I am not sure that has much of an effect on the qaulity of education.

Does anyone have any thoughts / opinions on the schools or things I shoul think about? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Sandy

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: Deciding on a school...? Thoughts please!

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:01 am

Where do you want to work?

Also, consider retaking the LSAT and getting into some good schools.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 am

sandys627 wrote: I have not yet recieved a scholarship offer from Baylor or Gonzaga, but Gonzaga is offering 75% of tuition with a 2.75 GPA.
Wut? Not sure if you meant Gonzaga or UNLV with 75% of tuition, and if that's a 75% scholly or a 25% scholly.

TCR is retake. If you're not doing that, go to the cheapest place you can in a region where you have ties. You've got strong ties in Nevada. UNLV probably places there, plus lower debt from living with family.

This is what TLS will tell you.

Also, try to negotiate with each school on the scholarships if you haven't already.

sandys627

New

Post by sandys627 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:10 am

Sorry, I meant to say Baylor or UNLV.

Gonzaga is offering to pay 75% of the tuition with a GPA that remains over 2.75.

montanamoose

New

Post by montanamoose » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 am

From what I hear you should go to Thomas Jefferson.

Sorry, I could not help myself.

All good schools you are looking at, especially if UNLV would throw you some $$$ on top of instate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:17 am

I would retake before paying sticker at UNLV. Try to negotiate with them.

But Gonzaga doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO given the location. A change of scenery might be nice but you have no ties to WA so you will look like a flight risk to firms, and you don't seem to know if you'd even want to practice there. Given that, I would say that you should go to the strongest school in your region with the least amount of debt possible.

Niners4Life

New

Post by Niners4Life » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:23 am

I'd look into how difficult it is to maintain a 2.75 at Gonzaga. If it isn't too hard, goiing there may not be a bad option. If you do well it might open up that market for you. If you don't do well it sounds like you could revert back to the NV market (which I'm from as well :)) However, UNLV is essentially guaranteed to kill whatever legal market exists in NV.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:16 am

Retake. You have a good GPA. Don't waste it.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:20 am

Have you ever been to Spokane?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CaptAdams

Bronze

Post by CaptAdams » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:51 am

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, minus Baylor. The wife and I aren't really interested in living in Las Vegas for the rest of our lives, so UNLV might not be my path. That said, I like UNLV's school, but I loved Gonzaga. You should pay them a visit (if you haven't already).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:56 am

Moved to appropriate forum.

sandys627

New

Post by sandys627 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 pm

CaptAdams wrote:I'm kind of in the same boat as you, minus Baylor. The wife and I aren't really interested in living in Las Vegas for the rest of our lives, so UNLV might not be my path. That said, I like UNLV's school, but I loved Gonzaga. You should pay them a visit (if you haven't already).

I know what you mean - not sure I want to remain in Las Vegas. I have not visited Gonzaga, but would like to. Based on reading, however, Gonzaga job prospects do not seem as strong. At the same time, my total debt would be lower, probably graduating with less than 40k.

sandys627

New

Post by sandys627 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Have you ever been to Spokane?

Passed through driving to Canada several times, but that doesn't really count as a visit.

sandys627

New

Post by sandys627 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Niners4Life wrote:I'd look into how difficult it is to maintain a 2.75 at Gonzaga. If it isn't too hard, goiing there may not be a bad option. If you do well it might open up that market for you. If you don't do well it sounds like you could revert back to the NV market (which I'm from as well :)) However, UNLV is essentially guaranteed to kill whatever legal market exists in NV.

I agree with you about the Nevada job market. I worked for an attorney here who has his own practice and can aid me in the job search in Las Vegas, just not sure I want to stay in this area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”