3.9+ GPA, 160 LSAT UConn vs. Wake (with retake) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I send my seat deposit

Wake Forest ($120k COA)
30%
UConn ($40k COA)
70%

Total votes: 10

Niners4Life

New

3.9+ GPA, 160 LSAT UConn vs. Wake (with retake)

Post by Niners4Life » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Stats are in the topic title. Before you scream retake, I am currently studying for the June LSAT. However, just to be safe, I plan on sending in a seat deposit to either UConn or Wake. Here is the situation:

Wake has offered me $20k a year as long as I remain in good standing. My estimated 3-year COA is approximately $120k (before interest)

UConn has offered me a renewable full ride scholarship plus $3k in work study for at least my first year as long as I maintain a 3.0 GPA (their curve is supposedly set for a 3.0 median, but an admissions dean has told me 75% of their students earn a 3.0 of better). Additionally, I've been told that UConn won't necessarily revoke the scholarship if a recipient falls below the requirement (I think an intervention-type meeting would be setup first to discuss what went wrong). My estimated 3-year COA would be approximately $40k (before interest).

I have visited both schools and was very drawn to Wake Forest. I honestly loved the school and feel like I'd be very happy there for three years and am willing to pay a little bit of a premium to attend. I honestly was not that drawn to UConn. Based on this thread (http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=150681) Wake has better job prospects (UConn doesn't seem to have great prospects). However, I'm unsure how much Wake's better job prospects are worth. I have some money saved up and, depending on how my three years of school go, may be able to decrease totals for either school by roughly $10k.

I am not from either region, but because I do not plan on practicing in my home market, I will have to move somewhere regardless of where ever I end up attending. I've been thinking this decision over for a while now and am stuck. The fact that I am even considering paying $80k more tells me that I must really like Wake that much more than UConn, and I wonder if I'd be unhappy at UConn (and also wonder if that might negatively impact my studies). Any additional thoughts are much appreciated.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: 3.9+ GPA, 160 LSAT UConn vs. Wake (with retake)

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:56 pm

I'd go UConn if your going this year hands down. Wake isn't worth a maybe 5% cushion in job prospects for that price. Keep your debt down and try to hustle. If you can't see yourself living in Connecticut then maybe consider taking a year off.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:25 am

I don't care what the UConn admissions dean said or what you've been told about the scholly "not necessarily" being revoked. If it's not in writing, don't count on it. It's not reasonable to assume that that scholly will be there for all 3 years. Furthermore, Wake is not worth $120K.

You shouldn't deposit anywhere, because you would be better off not going to law school than taking either of those options. Retake in June, as planned, or in October, if that would allow you to score better. Increase your score 5 points and you would be in good shape for ED to UVA. Increase it 8 points, and you're a virtual lock at Cornell. Increase it 10 points, and you'll have options in the T14, some with money.

Niners4Life

New

Post by Niners4Life » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:16 am

Idk if I'd be better off not going at all given the total COA at UConn ($40k). While that isn't the smallest debt imaginable, it is completely manageable. Worst case scenario in that situation is that I lose the scholarship after one year, drop out, and owe approximately $13k in loans, which I'd have almost enough to pay off immediately.

Granted this isn't the greatest possible outcome, but it's far from the worst I've seen in these forums.

wolverine10

New

Post by wolverine10 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:26 am

Where are you from? And out of curiosity why have you ruled out UIUC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Niners4Life

New

Post by Niners4Life » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:31 am

PM me if you'd like to know exactly where I'm from (I worry I'll out myself if I post it). I was accepted to UIUC with a half-tuition scholarship that I can keep as long as I remain in good standing. However, I won't have a chance to visit the campus.

Niners4Life

New

Post by Niners4Life » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:24 pm

I wish the two Wake Forest votes would explain the reasoning.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Wake is a good school but definitely not worth that much more than uconn.
But yea, retake is the best answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”