Berkeley vs. UT $$ vs. Michigan $ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School??

Texas
61%
Michigan
9%
Berkeley
30%

Total votes: 23

me!0712

New

Berkeley vs. UT $$ vs. Michigan $

Post by me!0712 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi guys, so any advice would be greatly helpful to me. I am currently split three ways. I am a Texas resident and I would get $36,000 total from Texas and I would get $30 k from Michigan but nothing from Berkeley. I am unsure of what type of law I want to practice or where. I am leaning towards a clerkship immediately after law school but ultimately I think I want to stay in Texas to practice but I am not %100 sure on this. I am really liking Texas because it would be much less expensive and because it has great opportunities. The only thing that is holding me back is its national prestige. Berkeley and Michigan have a more national reputation than Texas but they don't have a Supreme Court Law clinic (that I know of) like Texas does and that is an opportunity that I would like to take advantage of. But, like I said before, if I end up changing my mind and want to practice elsewhere I am afraid it will be difficult because Texas is not really a school with a national reputation.

de5igual

Silver

Re: Berkeley vs. UT $$ vs. Michigan $

Post by de5igual » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:03 pm

What's your total COA at each? Regardless, Berkeley should be out unless you have some preference for the west coast. This should come down to UT @ instate + $ vs UMich + $

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Clerkship is irrelevant since your chance of clerking out of any of these schools is quite small. SCOTUS clinic is also irrelevant, imo.

Do some soulsearching. If you are fairly sure you want TX, take UT. If you are fairly sure you want not-TX, take UMich.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:05 pm

If you want to practice in Texas the obvious answer is UT.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

I think you can eliminate Berkeley from this discussion.

I'd take Texas at that low price.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

me!0712

New

Post by me!0712 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:09 pm

it would be around $120,000 for all three years tuition at Michigan after the scholarship is applied and around $60,000 for all three years tuition after the scholarship has been applied at Texas. And yeah thats true I think I might be leaning towards UT

me!0712

New

Post by me!0712 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:11 pm

bk187 wrote:Clerkship is irrelevant since your chance of clerking out of any of these schools is quite small. SCOTUS clinic is also irrelevant, imo.

Do some soulsearching. If you are fairly sure you want TX, take UT. If you are fairly sure you want not-TX, take UMich.
Well I don't think clerkship is entirely irrelevant. I was researching UT's clerkship program and it seems like if they have some pretty good services.

And thanks for the advice!

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:13 pm

me!0712 wrote:Hi guys, so any advice would be greatly helpful to me. I am currently split three ways. I am a Texas resident and I would get $36,000 total from Texas and I would get $30 k from Michigan but nothing from Berkeley.
As a Texas resident, wouldn't your total cost of attendance at UT be significantly cheaper than at Berkeley and Michigan? Instead of focusing on scholarship amounts, I'd focus on total COA.

I am unsure of what type of law I want to practice or where. I am leaning towards a clerkship immediately after law school but ultimately I think I want to stay in Texas to practice but I am not %100 sure on this.
You're a little all over the place here. If you are truly unsure of where you want to practice, then Michigan and Berkeley will give you more options in more markets. But if, as you suggest one sentence later, you are inclined to stay in Texas, then UT is probably the better choice, especially if you factor in the lower cost of attendance. I wouldn't put much weight on clerkship considerations. Berkeley and Michigan will give you slightly better clerkship opportunities overall, but you're going to have to do very well at either school to have a realistic shot at an A3 clerkship. And, if you want to stay in Texas anyway, UT might give you a better shot at a clerkship in Texas.
The only thing that is holding me back is its national prestige. Berkeley and Michigan have a more national reputation than Texas but they don't have a Supreme Court Law clinic (that I know of) like Texas does and that is an opportunity that I would like to take advantage of. But, like I said before, if I end up changing my mind and want to practice elsewhere I am afraid it will be difficult because Texas is not really a school with a national reputation.
You're right that Berkeley and Michigan "have a more national reputation" than UT. But it's not like we're talking about the difference between Harvard and Texas Tech. UT has some reach outside the state of Texas.

Look, if you visit Michigan and Berkeley and fall in love with either one, then go to one of those schools. You'll still be able to return to Texas to work (if you want) and you'll have more options nationally. But if you really like the state of Texas and the university of Texas, then go to UT and enjoy your (relatively) affordable tuition and cost of living.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:17 pm

bk187 wrote: Do some soulsearching. If you are fairly sure you want TX, take UT. If you are fairly sure you want not-TX, take UMich.
^This.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:20 pm

me!0712 wrote:I was researching UT's clerkship program and it seems like if they have some pretty good services.
UT places around 10% of its class into clerkships and that number has been declining in recent years as clerkship apps have gotten more competitive. You need great grades for clerkships and you can't guarantee you'll be top 10% or even top 50%. UMich and Boalt's clerkship numbers are comparable to UT's if a bit higher.

me!0712

New

Post by me!0712 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:54 pm

Thank you all for your advice! Dignan, everything you said is very true. Thanks! I think I am leaning towards Texas at this pt. unless I get a miraculous acceptance from Harvard (currently held) or Stanford

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”