UNC ~125k vs. Richmond ~60k Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one

UNC ~125k COA
39%
Richmond ~60k COA
61%

Total votes: 36

GSCgold

New

UNC ~125k vs. Richmond ~60k

Post by GSCgold » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Alright, so I applied to a ton of schools up front, but have now narrowed it down to these two. Numbers listed are total cost of attendance. I'm from Virginia and went to school in North Carolina so I have significant ties to both areas, but I'd say the scale tips in favor of UNC if I had to pick. I would be happy living in NC or VA, but I think I like the idea of living in Richmond more. After having visited the area a couple of times the city of Richmond is a LOT more appealing than Chapel Hill/Durham.

My gut now is telling me to go with Richmond because the scholarship I am receiving also includes a class/mentorship program with a VA Supreme Court Justice and the amount of debt I'd end up with is roughly half of UNC. I don't really want Big Law and am much more non-profit/public service-prone. Does the UNC name have enough of an advantage over Richmond to justify double the cost? My connections to NC are strong enough that I could definitely go back after Richmond if I misjudged how much I would like the area. Not sure if I could get back to VA from UNC based solely on ties though.

Please vote and leave your opinion, thanks!

Edit: I need to make a decision on the Richmond scholarship this coming Tuesday and it's binding, so I'll have to withdraw from UNC.
Last edited by GSCgold on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: UNC ~125k vs. Richmond ~60k

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:13 pm

The mentorship is a significant benefit. For you, Richmond is the better choice because of the mentorship connection (should lead to gainful legal employment), the lower COA & the fact that you prefer Richmond as a location.

milljp02

Bronze

Post by milljp02 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:40 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The mentorship is a significant benefit. For you, Richmond is the better choice because of the mentorship connection (should lead to gainful legal employment), the lower COA & the fact that you prefer Richmond as a location.
I 2nd this notion.

Tadatsune

Bronze

Post by Tadatsune » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:13 am

I'm not seeing why you wouldn't choose Richmond here.

mh2015

New

Post by mh2015 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:12 am

Initially I had voted for UNC, but then I read what you wrote and I amend my vote to Richmond instead. I am from NC, so naturally I have a bias toward NC schools, but for what you are looking for, and the opportunities presented to you, Richmond would be a better way to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GSCgold

New

Post by GSCgold » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Bump.

Sorry, normally I wouldn't, but the poll is pretty split and I have to make the decision by noon on Tuesday.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:31 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The mentorship is a significant benefit. For you, Richmond is the better choice because of the mentorship connection (should lead to gainful legal employment), the lower COA & the fact that you prefer Richmond as a location.
I completely agree. That's not a bad amount of debt for a strong regional school. I think considering your ties and the mentor program, it's a pretty easy call. 60k less means around 700 dollars a month you don't have to pay back when interest is considered.

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm a bit biased, but I think Richmond is the winner in your scenario as long as you want to end up in RVA. I've seen pretty decent placement and you're coming out with a very reasonable amount of debt.

Tadatsune

Bronze

Post by Tadatsune » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:31 am

GSCgold wrote:Bump.

Sorry, normally I wouldn't, but the poll is pretty split and I have to make the decision by noon on Tuesday.
Regardless of what the poll says, neither yourself or anyone else has posted a single reason for you to pick UNC over Richmond. From where I'm sitting, this looks like an easy decision. What is holding you back?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 am

You want to be in Richmond. Richmond costs much less. You have a great opportunity with the program. No brainer...Richmond. If you wanted to end up in NC I may say go UNC but you don't even want to end up there.

GSCgold

New

Post by GSCgold » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:46 am

Tadatsune wrote:
GSCgold wrote:Bump.

Regardless of what the poll says, neither yourself or anyone else has posted a single reason for you to pick UNC over Richmond. From where I'm sitting, this looks like an easy decision. What is holding you back?

You're completely right... I guess I just wanted some outside affirmation that I wasn't missing/overlooking something. Still, like you noted, it's kind of odd that the poll is nearly split even though no comments have been in favor of UNC. Thanks for all the help!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:47 pm

U of R is the real winner here. Almost everyone practicing in RVA is a U of R grad and they really try to help students with connections, job postings, etc. That and with a healthy scholarship, it's definitely the best idea.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:03 pm

These polls are almost always skewed by drive-by voters who just choose the highest-ranked school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”