Any Loyalty? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Does loyalty matter?

Strong Yes, they taught and trained you and got you where you are
3%
Yes
3%
Not at all, this is business, you have every right to do the best you can
30%
No
6%
Absolutely not you owe them nothing
57%

Total votes: 63

moonman157

Silver

Re: Any Loyalty?

Post by moonman157 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:45 am

As an ohio state undergrad considering michigan law, loyalty does not matter.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:48 am

johansantana21 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
curiousnole wrote:By the way, I've been wondering this, obviously you go to a t14 mr. lulz, but which one? what year? While I've been waiting for my cycle to pan out I've been reading this forum an unhealthy amount and I've seen your name like 1000s times haha
Not a T14 actually. Stick around enough and it's pretty obvious where I go.
He goes to the Harvard of the south. So better than most of the T14.
UVa?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:51 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 am

My UG has a TTT law school. Felt no desire to stay. Spread your wings man.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:55 am

moonman157 wrote:As an ohio state undergrad considering michigan law, loyalty does not matter.
:twisted:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:28 am

buckilaw wrote:
moonman157 wrote:As an ohio state undergrad considering michigan law, loyalty does not matter.
Just kind of an interesting side note on the loyalty thing: In England, prospective students can't even apply to both Cambridge and Oxford. They have to pick their loyalties when they are still in high school. I thought that was really cool. So there was no, oh you're only here because you didn't get into Oxford and hedged your bets by applying to both. It'd be interesting to see how a system like that would affect undergrad admissions in the US (say, only being able to apply to one Ivy, or even just one of HYP).

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 am

curiousnole wrote:I went to undergrad at FSU and I got into UF Law and FSU Law as well. They are almost the same only UF is slightly better in almost every area, but only slightly. Am I being stupid for feeling a bit sentimental and feeling like I almost owe it to FSU to stay here since they taught me (in my opinion very well) for undergrad?
Not sure I understand the distinction between some of the options in your poll, but the answer to your question is NO, with varying degrees of definitiveness depending on the person and depending on your options (as people have pointed out).

In your case, Florida is marginally better than FSU. There is a wider gap with regard to the undergraduate program than there is in the law program. They're certainly the best two law schools in Florida and I'd BET that each school has cross-admits from the other. If you want to go to FSU and are looking for an excuse to do so, just do it. Again, the difference in prestige is not really that significant. If all else were equal, I'd advise Florida over FSU. You have to decide whether or not all else is equal here. You are being stupid for letting some sense of sentimentality and guilt keep you from going to Florida over FSU. That said, if you have a legitimate preference for FSU (that maybe is somehow triggered by underlying feelings of loyalty), then that's a different story and you wouldn't be crazy for taking FSU.

Honestly, I think I'd try to get some money from FSU if you haven't already. I'm not sure they're likely to give you any simply to sway you from Florida, but it's certainly worth a shot and might make your decision easier.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:10 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
Just kind of an interesting side note on the loyalty thing: In England, prospective students can't even apply to both Cambridge and Oxford. They have to pick their loyalties when they are still in high school. I thought that was really cool. So there was no, oh you're only here because you didn't get into Oxford and hedged your bets by applying to both. It'd be interesting to see how a system like that would affect undergrad admissions in the US (say, only being able to apply to one Ivy, or even just one of HYP).
University applications work differently there.
There's one application form and you get to pick up to 6 colleges (you aren't allowed to apply to more). The reason you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge is that a large number of people would apply to both (in the hopes that one would say yes). This would both decrease the number of schools one could apply to and overload those two schools. Plus, both schools are considered peers, so the assumption is that if you can't get into one, you can't get into the other.

Note: typically, you apply to four schools at your level of ability, plus one reach and one safety. Oxford/Cambridge is always a reach, hence, only one
Also, you don't have a bachelor/master system; you start studying law, or medicine, anthropology, or whathaveyou right after high school

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
curiousnole wrote:I went to undergrad at FSU and I got into UF Law and FSU Law as well. They are almost the same only UF is slightly better in almost every area, but only slightly. Am I being stupid for feeling a bit sentimental and feeling like I almost owe it to FSU to stay here since they taught me (in my opinion very well) for undergrad?
I would generally caution that Tallanasty is in fact, quite awful. Seminole fans are awful and wear jorts with unfortunate regularity. I'd also like to point out that UF went farther in the NCAA tournament and more to the point... GO Gators. Hope this helps. :)
significantly more jorts in gainesville than tally

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:00 pm

There is absolutely no reason to go to UF as a FSU student/fan for Law, considering they're both essentially identical.

Now if it were for an MBA or MD, I'd choose UF all day every day.

curiousnole

New

Post by curiousnole » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:21 pm

The problem mr nole knight (i'm guessing you are also the one person who clicked yes thus far haha) is that UF, even though it's only slightly better for law is much better in every other area except location and athletics (right now), and people in Florida act like UF is an ivy league school, so it just looks like you've gone to a worse school even if they are actually nearly identical for the law school rankings. Of course, this is probably not going to factor in for job opportunities, but it does have an influence over all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”