Need Help Deciding Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Need Help Deciding

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Need help deciding between three schools:

Washington and Lee, Howard, or Notre Dame

I visited both Howard and W&L liked both of them could easily see myself going to either three schools...mostly its going to come down to job prospects...I want to end up in either NYC or DC biglaw...I know what the numbers say for all three but numbers dont always paint a true picture..so anyone with first hand knowledge or that knows someone or just actually knows what their talking about and not relying completely on numbers I would love to hear your thoughs.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Need Help Deciding

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:15 pm

If you truly want biglaw I probably wouldn't go to any of those schools.

If you're okay without biglaw then cost is important.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:17 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Need help deciding between three schools:

I visited both Howard and W&L liked both of them could easily see myself going to either three schools...mostly its going to come down to job prospects...I want to end up in either NYC or DC biglaw...I know what the numbers say for all three but numbers dont always paint a true picture..so anyone with first hand knowledge or that knows someone or just actually knows what their talking about and not relying completely on numbers I would love to hear your thoughs.

Any scholarships? If so, stipulations?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:18 pm

bk187 wrote:If you truly want biglaw I probably wouldn't go to any of those schools.

What about Howard... don't they place like the top 20% in biglaw when firms go looking for diversity? I thought I heard that...

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:25 pm

bk187 wrote:If you truly want biglaw I probably wouldn't go to any of those schools.

of the four 2ls I talked to at Howard very briefly 3 of them had biglaw SA lined up...and of the about 25-30 2l and 3ls I spoke to about 10 or 12 of them had biglaw jobs lined up

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:30 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:of the four 2ls I talked to at Howard very briefly 3 of them had biglaw SA lined up...and of the about 25-30 2l and 3ls I spoke to about 10 or 12 of them had biglaw jobs lined up
Howard even at the best of times only seemed to place about 20% of its class into biglaw (NLJ250 data: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=181578). I wouldn't recommend going somewhere where your goal has an 80% chance of not happening (it's likely closer to 90% due to the economy). Especially when you consider the fact that schools exist where your goals actually have a >50% chance of happening.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 pm

spleenworship wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:Need help deciding between three schools:

Any scholarships? If so, stipulations?
12,500 at Howard they havent released their stips yet......and 13,500 at W&L with a 3.25 stip but the Dean sai that over the past 4 classes only 18 people have had their schollys reduced and only 1 has lost it completly he said that not meeing the stips isnt automatic that you lose it

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Retake.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 pm

JasonR wrote:Retake.
Retake is 100% not an option im happy with my options..just need to make the right choice about which option to attend....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Howard is going to be cheaper... but I think they place less in biglaw than W&L.... somebody who knows their numbers on W&L want to chime in?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:31 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
Retake is 100% not an option im happy with my options..just need to make the right choice about which option to attend....
There is no right choice.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Dany wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:
There is no right choice.
Should have said make the right choice for me...somewhere in these three choices plus a waitlist at Fordham there is a right choice FOR ME

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm not retaking these are the three or four options I'm going with so if anyone else has any thing to say besides retake or don't go or anything of the like I would love to hear responses

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Howard, I guess.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:01 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:I'm not retaking these are the three or four options I'm going with so if anyone else has any thing to say besides retake or don't go or anything of the like I would love to hear responses
If you want to make a bad decision, that's on you. I (and I suspect many other members of TLS) just can't in good conscience tell you that any of these schools are a good financial or life decision for your goal of biglaw.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:05 pm

You stand something like 92% chance of not getting biglaw by attending these schools. If you want to do biglaw you need to go to a top 14 school to have realistic odds, top 6 to have good odds or odds in your favor.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Whichever you go to you're going to have to bust your balls, so choose the school/location that appeals most.
If you can get in off the waitlist, go to Fordham - it'll give you a better shot at biglaw (although, at sticker it is a risky proposition; they have been known to give schollys off the waitlist, so good luck)

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Dany wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:I'm not retaking these are the three or four options I'm going with so if anyone else has any thing to say besides retake or don't go or anything of the like I would love to hear responses
If you want to make a bad decision, that's on you. I (and I suspect many other members of TLS) just can't in good conscience tell you that any of these schools are a good financial or life decision for your goal of biglaw.
Credited.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:

of the four 2ls I talked to at Howard very briefly 3 of them had biglaw SA lined up...and of the about 25-30 2l and 3ls I spoke to about 10 or 12 of them had biglaw jobs lined up
You randomly went up to people at the school or these are people the school presented to you in some kind of session?

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:
Dany wrote: There is no right choice.
Should have said make the right choice for me...somewhere in these three choices plus a waitlist at Fordham there is a right choice FOR ME
Given that your desire is for NYC or DC biglaw, there is no right choice, especially given those prices.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 pm

MrAnon wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:

You randomly went up to people at the school or these are people the school presented to you in some kind of session?
At Howard just randomly I was only in dc for about 5 or 6 hours so I sat in on a class and talked to students and went up to people that were in the library and around campus....w&l I talked to many people out on the town and around campus during asw nobody was hand picked to talk to me Or presented cause they had good jobs or anything like that

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:46 pm

If your goal is NYC or DC biglaw, none of the above. It's pretty clear cut.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:59 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:

At Howard just randomly I was only in dc for about 5 or 6 hours so I sat in on a class and talked to students and went up to people that were in the library and around campus....w&l I talked to many people out on the town and around campus during asw nobody was hand picked to talk to me Or presented cause they had good jobs or anything like that
How do you know the firms they mentioned were biglaw? Are you that familiar with law firm names that you would recognize them? did they say "I got biglaw" or "I got a nice firm job"?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:04 am

Wherever is cheapest because your odds of biglaw are about 15-20% at the most.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”