Your poll will help me decide where I go to school! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go to school?

FSU (Sticker)
2%
UF (Sticker)
21%
Nova Southeastern (22K w/ 2.8 Stip, could live at home)
2%
UM (25K/year w/ 3.2 stip)
5%
Tulane (25K/year w/ 2.75 stip)
8%
American (sticker)
2%
Re-Take/Re-Apply/ ED-UVA
59%

Total votes: 127

flem

Diamond

Re: Your poll will help me decide where I go to school!

Post by flem » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:47 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I am aware of the bias against lower-ranked/unranked schools, but no one thinks going to Nova with 22K/year is a good idea? Is it at least better than UF at sticker? I would be able to live at home if I went there.
Nope. At least with a UF degree and some manageable debt you're employable. A Nova JD is a black mark on your resume forever.

Remember, it's only a good deal if you can get a job as a lawyer afterwards.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:47 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I am aware of the bias against lower-ranked/unranked schools, but no one thinks going to Nova with 22K/year is a good idea? Is it at least better than UF at sticker? I would be able to live at home if I went there.
Neither are good options IMO, with Nova being the worse option. I'm retaking rather than paying UF at sticker so I can't advise you to do that, but UF's recent employment numbers are encouraging.
Nova is just one of the worst schools evar and should not be considered. Your prospects will be shit and 22k/year is absurd since they should be paying you.

UF employment stats for 2011: --LinkRemoved--

Edit: WOAH total miscalculation on my part. 75% of employed grads are working in FT BR work. Only 60% of the class are working in FT Bar Req positions 9 months out. That sucks IMO. Definite retake.
Last edited by seancris on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:53 pm

No don't go to Nova. UF is your best option at the moment. Go there if you don't want to reapply.

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:27 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Nope. At least with a UF degree and some manageable debt you're employable. A Nova JD is a black mark on your resume forever.

...How can educational attainment be what you refer to as a "black mark" on your resume?

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:

...How can educational attainment be what you refer to as a "black mark" on your resume?

Obv. Having a JD doesn't make you unique when applying for a legal job. Going to one of the worst schools in the country indicates that you were A- one of the worst applicants in the country B- lacked the judgement to go to a decent school and C- were taught by the worst professors in the country.

There are literally 10+ law schools in Florida and Nova is bottom of the barrel. Do you really think it's a good idea to pay to go to a school whose peers are Barry, St. Thomas, and FAMU? When there are T14, Vandy, Emory, UF, FSU, Miami, and Stetson grads competing in the same (already saturated) market? When a Nova grad lines up against any of the above, yes, the Nova JD is a black mark.
Last edited by seancris on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Florida or retake & reapply.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:

a) You cannot get a job in the field you are training for because employers do not want to hire Nova JDs when they can hire people from UF, FSU, Miami, on down and the market is already very saturated.
b) You cannot get a job in another unrelated field because employers wonder why you spent 3 years of your life and six figures of $ and suddenly do not want to be a lawyer. They will assume you will jump ship for a higher salaried law job if the market turns around.
c) You cannot leave it off your resume as people will wonder wtf you have been doing for 3 years.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 am

timbs4339 wrote:
a) You cannot get a job in the field you are training for because employers do not want to hire Nova JDs when they can hire people from UF, FSU, Miami, on down and the market is already very saturated.
b) You cannot get a job in another unrelated field because employers wonder why you spent 3 years of your life and six figures of $ and suddenly do not want to be a lawyer. They will assume you will jump ship for a higher salaried law job if the market turns around.
c) You cannot leave it off your resume as people will wonder wtf you have been doing for 3 years.
Yup.

In a market that's saturated with like 15 law schools, you need to separate yourself from the pack and go to one of the top three. Even though you're obviously smarter than many who only have Nova Southeastern as their only option, employers won't know that.

Go to UF or retake brah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”