Page 1 of 1
Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 pm
by 76Trombones
I have a situation that I know is far from unique, but I haven't found any other threads about it. In a nutshell, this is what I'm wrestling with: I've been accepted at two law schools, School A and School B. I am still weighing the merits of both, and haven't decided which one I should attend. However, School A requires me to notify them in a few days about whether I will enroll, and School B doesn't require a decision until a couple of weeks later. So my question is: Could I accept the offer of admission at School A, but still potenitally decide within the next couple of weeks to attend School B? School A doesn't have any requirement to withdraw from all other received admission offers, but I am concerned that once I say yes to School A, then School B will somehow know -- is this information conveyed by LSAC, maybe? Also, a nagging concern is that saying yes to one place while keeping my options open somewhere else is unethical and underhanded. Any thoughts?
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:13 pm
by jdamele76
I'm doing it. I would if your truly undecided.
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:21 pm
by 76Trombones
Thanks, at least someone is in the same boat. I really just need a little more time to weight my options. I just have this -- maybe irrational? -- concern that if I accept the offer from School A, then somehow School B will know about it, and if I ultimately decide to go to School B, they will say, "Sorry but we withdrew our offer when when we learned you had accepted the offer from School A."
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:35 pm
by jdamele76
76Trombones wrote:Thanks, at least someone is in the same boat. I really just need a little more time to weight my options. I just have this -- maybe irrational? -- concern that if I accept the offer from School A, then somehow School B will know about it, and if I ultimately decide to go to School B, they will say, "Sorry but we withdrew our offer when when we learned you had accepted the offer from School A."
I told mine straight up that I am stuck between 3 and I need more time. They all said they understood. Personally I think they just know at the very least they are getting considered and the $300.
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:43 pm
by 76Trombones
Yeah, I was actually thinking of asking for an "extension" to the deadline for replying to their offer of admission. Fortunately, the school with the earlier deadline doesn't require a deposit, so I wouldn't lose any money if I decided not to enroll. I just don't want to do anything unethical, since I feel like it's kind of sneaky to accept one offer and not inform the other schools that have accepted me, so that I can still keep the door open....
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 pm
by jdamele76
76Trombones wrote:Yeah, I was actually thinking of asking for an "extension" to the deadline for replying to their offer of admission. Fortunately, the school with the earlier deadline doesn't require a deposit, so I wouldn't lose any money if I decided not to enroll. I just don't want to do anything unethical, since I feel like it's kind of sneaky to accept one offer and not inform the other schools that have accepted me, so that I can still keep the door open....
I wouldn't worry about it. Just when you finally figure out what you want to do withdraw immediately. I do not know what schools these are but I am sure there are plenty of wait listed people interested in your spot.
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:57 pm
by 76Trombones
Oh, I will. I know that I can't keep my options open indefinitely, and I don't want to be sitting on a spot in the law school that someone on a waitlist would like to have. I guess that I am mainly concerned that once I accept one offer of admission, the other schools that have accepted me will somehow know that I did that, regardless of whether I tell them, and will instantly close their doors to me, precluding the possibility of changing my mind a week later.
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:59 pm
by jdamele76
76Trombones wrote:Oh, I will. I know that I can't keep my options open indefinitely, and I don't want to be sitting on a spot in the law school that someone on a waitlist would like to have. I guess that I am mainly concerned that once I accept one offer of admission, the other schools that have accepted me will somehow know that I did that, regardless of whether I tell them, and will instantly close their doors to me, precluding the possibility of changing my mind a week later.
I hope not or I am screwed too haha Seriously though, if they do that then I think you would have found you made a good choice in the one you did pick...
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:09 pm
by 76Trombones
Good point. I like how you think. I guess I am being paranoid...I am sure that law schools are not actually communicating with each other, and I am sure that accepting one offer doesn't automatically trigger some kind of notification to every other school that has accepted you. I hope not, anyway.....
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:29 pm
by jdamele76
76Trombones wrote:Good point. I like how you think. I guess I am being paranoid...I am sure that law schools are not actually communicating with each other, and I am sure that accepting one offer doesn't automatically trigger some kind of notification to every other school that has accepted you. I hope not, anyway.....
If it did then why would they need you to withdraw :/ unless its a formality ha
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:42 pm
by 76Trombones
That's a good point. For me, the school with the earlier deadline doesn't explicitly say I need to withdraw from any other schools...I just have to send them an e-mail with my decision. And no deposit is required, either. I think that's pretty informal and unusual.
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 am
by jdamele76
76Trombones wrote:That's a good point. For me, the school with the earlier deadline doesn't explicitly say I need to withdraw from any other schools...I just have to send them an e-mail with my decision. And no deposit is required, either. I think that's pretty informal and unusual.
If you don't mind me asking what schools are these?
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:09 am
by 76Trombones
Eh, I'd kinda rather not say....I just feel like I shouldn't give too much identifying information, especially when I'm still not 100% sure that it's totally ethical to do this. But I think a lot of people must be in a similar situation...there are many threads about whether it's ok to accept an offer while remaining on the waitlist somewhere else (the consensus is that it is) but nothing on the situation I described, which seems odd, since I'd think it's a pretty common problem.
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:16 am
by jdamele76
76Trombones wrote:Eh, I'd kinda rather not say....I just feel like I shouldn't give too much identifying information, especially when I'm still not 100% sure that it's totally ethical to do this. But I think a lot of people must be in a similar situation...there are many threads about whether it's ok to accept an offer while remaining on the waitlist somewhere else (the consensus is that it is) but nothing on the situation I described, which seems odd, since I'd think it's a pretty common problem.
Possibly people have asked for extensions for the deadline, then finally accepted one.
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:18 am
by 76Trombones
True, I think I will definitely ask for an extension, and the worst scenario is that the school says no.
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:34 am
by jdamele76
76Trombones wrote:True, I think I will definitely ask for an extension, and the worst scenario is that the school says no.
Best course of action, one of my schools already said they would not at ASW sadly
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:38 am
by 76Trombones
I guess that makes sense.....if they extend for one person, they'd have to do it for everyone, and then they might as well just push back the deadline for everybody. I just wish I didn't have to make a decision so soon...some of the places I applied to still haven't given me any sort of answer. It's frustrating to have to make a major life decision with incomplete information...
Re: Two Schools, Two Deadlines, and Not Sure What To Do
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:55 am
by jdamele76
76Trombones wrote:I guess that makes sense.....if they extend for one person, they'd have to do it for everyone, and then they might as well just push back the deadline for everybody. I just wish I didn't have to make a decision so soon...some of the places I applied to still haven't given me any sort of answer. It's frustrating to have to make a major life decision with incomplete information...
Bama and ASU doing that to me too