Albany vs Widener Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aimo5656

New

Albany vs Widener

Post by aimo5656 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm trying to decide which of these law schools to attend. I recently visited Albany for their ASD and I liked the energy of the school but I wasn't in love with the neighborhood. I haven't visited Widener's DE campus yet because their ASD is in April but I live in DE so I've heard some things about the school. Both of these schools are not that great in rankings (Widener is not even ranked on US News while Albany is 113). I know that rankings at this point don't really matter for these schools but I am concerned about job prospects coming out of them. I know with Albany since it's the state capital for NY and the only law school in the area you are surrounded by federal and state job opportunities, however I am worried that because it's the only law school that the area is already over-saturated. Furthermore, when I went to the ASD I noticed that many of the the alumni went to SUNY Albany for undergrad and just went to Albany Law. It was pretty much the same thing for the students who spoke on ASD. I felt disappointed that there wasn't a lot of geographical variety. I mean I'm not expecting alumni from Alaska or anything but I at least would have liked to hear from people who are currently working in PA/NJ which I don't think is too far out of reach since it is a school located in NY. My plan is to work in PA, DE, or NJ after graduating from law school. Widener is also a mixed bag. I've read that their grading curve is harsh, as a result it's hard to find an internship or a job when you're competing with other law schools such as UPenn, PennState, Temple, Rutgers, etc. However, some people have commented to me that in spite of its perceived reputation there are job opportunities out there for Widener law grads. Anyway, my dilemma is that I don't know which school to attend. Both schools are not offering me any scholarships so I guess it depends on tuition cost which is the same for both because Widener charges the same whether you live in DE or not. I am deeply conflicted about which school to attend so I would really like it for someone who is currently attending or know anyone attending either one of these schools to comment, especially recent grads. Please make any comments about job prospects, internships, classes, profs, lifestyle, etc. about these schools.

bdole2

Bronze

Re: Albany vs Widener

Post by bdole2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 pm

I would only consider either of those schools with significant scholarships. Unfortunately, since you did not receive substantial scholarships I would recommend retaking the LSAT. I know you probably don't want to take a year off, but it will be worth it. With a higher LSAT score you could not only get scholarships at these schools, but you could also get into (and get money at) schools that will have better job prospects.

rinehart27

New

Post by rinehart27 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:46 pm

People are generally going to say retake or don't go. Neither one of these schools have decent employment prospects. However, if you HAD to choose here, I would say Widener, just because you're from the area. I'm not advocating either, but Widener will allow you to at least get to meet some people and make connections in your area.

I've also heard the curve at Widener is rough, as it is with most TTT's. Also, with no scholarship, it's hard to tell you to go to either place. If it were free, maybe, but even then it's a tough call. It's your life, though, so I won't tell you what to do. It's not unheard of to do real well at a TTT and do alright for yourself after graduation. It's just really effin hard, and you are taking a huge risk. As long as you know that, the rest is on you.

How much is tuition at Widener, anyways? A ton, I would imagine?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:52 pm

For fuck's sake don't go to Widener

Read through this

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:04 pm

They've both got issue, but at least Widener is the only law school in Delaware, which should count for something (don't ask me what)
Albany is a different pickle and unless you have significant ties to Albany, I'd be wary

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aimo5656

New

Post by aimo5656 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far. Please keep them coming.

Scottie2Hottie

New

Post by Scottie2Hottie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Yea i got a scholly from widener but it might as well mean shit bc ive heard there curve is around 2.3 and the scholly stip is 3.0<. I know a grad of that school from last years class, who struggled to find work, started his own firm in our neighborhood, and gets cases thrown to him from one of the attorneys he interned for. Kinda rough, but he is making it work. I know another 2L who doesnt have anything lined up after graduation either. Also, was gambling with a guy in AC who went to widener and he is in litigation outside of philly and hates it. That is all of my experience from Widener. Take it as is

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 pm

I am from Albany, NY and i know that Albany law is unique in that it has comand over a large market. Albany is a decent sized city with a lot of goverment and only one law school. In fact the closest law school is in NYC or in Buffalo. Because of this Albany Law tends to do alright compared to T3's I would go to Albany Law, if i couldn't retake :mrgreen:

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 pm

bdole2 wrote:would only consider either of those schools with significant scholarships. Unfortunately, since you did not receive substantial scholarships I would recommend retaking the LSAT. I know you probably don't want to take a year off, but it will be worth it. With a higher LSAT score you could not only get scholarships at these schools, but you could also get into (and get money at) schools that will have better job prospects.
This is the TCR. But if you absolutely have to go to law school next year then Widener because of this:
aimo5656 wrote:My plan is to work in PA, DE, or NJ after graduating from law school.
An Albany degree will not travel well (if at all) outside upstate NY. At least Widener is in DE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sherlock1708

New

Post by Sherlock1708 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:42 pm

I grew up in DE and currently work at the Department of Justice in Wilmington. There are several Widener grads working here. However, I guarantee you they all graduated at the top of their class. I have a friend that is finishing up at Widener right now. She said you need to be ranked #1-5 in order to interview with the top DE firms that start associates at $145,000. If you look at the profiles of the associates at these firms, they all graduated magna or summa. Even for government jobs, you need top grades. There is a NYU grad working in my office as a DAG, so it's not like Widener has a lock on DE jobs. My mom went to Widener in the early 80's when tuition was like $5,000. Tuition, fees, books, COL is now around $51,000. I applied to Widener and even she does not want me to attend, even though my parents would love it if I remained in DE. I do have significant ties to the legal community in Delaware, and I will most likely return to DE after law school, but even with a substantial scholarship from Widener, I don't think it's worth it.

For what it's worth, I know someone that graduated from Widener and passed the bar in DE, PA and NJ and after 2 years still hasn't found a legal job. IMO, it's just not worth attending a school like Widener without a significant scholarship and very strong ties to the legal community... and even under these circumstances, it's a huge gamble. If you must attend one of these schools, ask them for a scholarship. If they won't give you money, it's definitely worth your time to retake the LSAT and try again next year.
Last edited by Sherlock1708 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scottie2Hottie

New

Post by Scottie2Hottie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Scottie2Hottie wrote:Yea i got a scholly from widener but it might as well mean shit bc ive heard there curve is around 2.3 and the scholly stip is 3.0<. I know a grad of that school from last years class, who struggled to find work, started his own firm in our neighborhood, and gets cases thrown to him from one of the attorneys he interned for. Kinda rough, but he is making it work. I know another 2L who doesnt have anything lined up after graduation either. Also, was gambling with a guy in AC who went to widener and he is in litigation outside of philly and hates it. That is all of my experience from Widener. Take it as is
Also, my great aunt is a widener grad who works at a 100+ attorney law firm in princeton doing quite well for herself financially

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 pm

john1990 wrote:I am from Albany, NY and i know that Albany law is unique in that it has comand over a large market. Albany is a decent sized city with a lot of goverment and only one law school. In fact the closest law school is in NYC or in Buffalo. Because of this Albany Law tends to do alright compared to T3's I would go to Albany Law, if i couldn't retake :mrgreen:
Welp that's wrong. Syracuse is the closest and Cornell is about the same as NYC. Albany does do okay compared to other T3s since they essentially have a monopoly over Albany but Widener is the only law school in the state of DE. The prospects are about the same from either of these schools...not good.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:06 pm

quiver wrote:
john1990 wrote:I am from Albany, NY and i know that Albany law is unique in that it has comand over a large market. Albany is a decent sized city with a lot of goverment and only one law school. In fact the closest law school is in NYC or in Buffalo. Because of this Albany Law tends to do alright compared to T3's I would go to Albany Law, if i couldn't retake :mrgreen:
Welp that's wrong. Syracuse is the closest and Cornell is about the same as NYC. Albany does do okay compared to other T3s since they essentially have a monopoly over Albany but Widener is the only law school in the state of DE. The prospects are about the same from either of these schools...not good.
Whatever, Syracuse is 2.5 hours away. The main point of the argument lol was that Albany Law has command over a large market

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 pm

aimo5656 wrote:My plan is to work in PA, DE, or NJ after graduating from law school.

Retake unless offered a very large scholly

aimo5656

New

Post by aimo5656 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:20 pm

tr8877

New

Post by tr8877 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:39 pm

I live in a busy court district in NJ and it is filled with Widener grads (they probably outnumber the Rutgers grads). The alum bass is pretty solid in the tri-state area which comes in handy if you dont have strong legal ties.

mixmasterehd

New

Post by mixmasterehd » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Don't go to widener. I was at widener last year at sticker.
The facilities suck.
The student body sucks.
The area sucks. Its literally located between two strip malls.
The curve is terrible.
The journals are medicore. even the corporate one.
the top 25% transfer out anyway.
- no one WANTS to be there. We all know that this is our one shot to own it and never let it go. EVERYONE is trying to transfer out.
Alumni events have like 4 alum and like 8 students
if a speaker comes to campus there are like 10 people attending its embarassing.
The guy who did the fracking documentary was at the harrisberg campus and they teleconferenced us in on the large screen in the huge auditorium. It was me and the property professor (he left early) and i was the only one left.

any school on the planet (outside of cooley) is better than widener.
I will say the Profs are good. They realize that they are teaching to a bunch of dumbasses so they just tell you what you need to know.

I transferred out to a T40 and looking back I realize that my year at widener was the most miserable year of my life.

Edit: OCI had like 3 public defenders offices and some legal aid places.
also no gym on campus. to work out you have go a mile down concord piek to the kewish community center. o wait they do have a gym in the dorms. it consists of on room a couple of tredmills one set of 20lbs free weights and an ab roller.
the student body is generally a bunch of misfits. Just weird ass people from small weird ass colleges. most are totally retarded. The one or two people from ivy league undergrad you can tell just want to to hop out on the the free way in front of a bus

The one redeeming factor about the school is frank.
he is a janitor there and he is a fantastic human being and friend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aimo5656

New

Post by aimo5656 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:13 pm

tr8877

New

Post by tr8877 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:34 pm

mixmasterehd wrote:Don't go to widener. I was at widener last year at sticker.
The facilities suck.
The student body sucks.
The curve is terrible.
- no one WANTS to be there. We all know that this is our one shot to own it and never let it go. EVERYONE is trying to transfer out.
if a speaker comes to campus there are like 10 people attending its embarassing.
The guy who did the fracking documentary was at the harrisberg campus and they teleconferenced us in on the large screen in the huge auditorium. It was me and the property professor (he left early) and i was the only one left.

I will say the Profs are good. They realize that they are teaching to a bunch of dumbasses so they just tell you what you need to know.

I transferred out to a T40 and looking back I realize that my year at widener was the most miserable year of my life.

also no gym on campus. to work out you have go a mile down concord piek to the kewish community center. o wait they do have a gym in the dorms. it consists of on room a couple of tredmills one set of 20lbs free weights and an ab roller.
the student body is generally a bunch of misfits. Just weird ass people from small weird ass colleges. most are totally retarded. The one or two people from ivy league undergrad you can tell just want to to hop out on the the free way in front of a bus

not to be a dick but can you explain the 90% + bar passage rate at widener?

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:19 pm

tr8877 wrote: not to be a dick but can you explain the 90% + bar passage rate at widener?
Just because you can pass the bar does not mean that you can get a job.

Also, widener is the only school in Delaware which has the easiest state bar exam BY FAR (just kidding)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:18 am

It's not wise to pay full price for either law school. Based on your choices, I assume that your LSAT score was in the high 140s or low 150s. Did you take a LSAT prep course ? If not, consider enrolling in PowerScore, Manhattan, Princeton Review or BluePrint & retaking the LSAT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:41 am

tr8877 wrote:
The facilities suck.
The student body sucks.
The curve is terrible.

not to be a dick but can you explain the 90% + bar passage rate at widener?
Not to be a dick, but any TTTT can have a 90%+ bar passage rate when they incorporate bar prep into the curriculum.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:08 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiberalLaw

New

Post by LiberalLaw » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:34 pm

The facilities suck.
The student body sucks.
The curve is terrible.

I am a 1L here and except for the comments about Frank, the rest is highly inaccurate.

Honestly, it is not even doing a point to point discussion of your statements.

Back to outlining.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:58 pm

LiberalLaw wrote:
The facilities suck.
The student body sucks.
The curve is terrible.

I am a 1L here and except for the comments about Frank, the rest is highly inaccurate.

Honestly, it is not even doing a point to point discussion of your statements.

Back to outlining.
His basic premise is quite sound.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”