Need massive amounts of help :( Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cass1230

New

Need massive amounts of help :(

Post by cass1230 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:44 pm

So far I've gotten into UM, Stetson and FIU...naturally UM is my top choice but sticker is scary! I've been WL at Notre Dame, W&L, Wake Forest and Emory but chances of scholarships are low; still waiting on Tulane, FSU, UNC, and Vanderbilt but I'm aware that chances at scholly's there so late aren't great.

So here comes my question: Go to UM with parents help on payment and acquire some debt? Consider FIU? OR consider a year off, retake LSAT and buff up my app while working and saving $$?

No13baby

Bronze

Re: Need massive amounts of help :(

Post by No13baby » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Don't go to Miami at sticker. Retake and apply to FSU or UF (assuming you'd like to stay in Florida.)

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:58 pm

cass1230 wrote:consider a year off, retake LSAT and buff up my app while working and saving $$?

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:13 pm

it would be my third time retaking, do you guys think this will be an issue?

thanks by the way :D

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:22 pm

cass1230 wrote:it would be my third time retaking, do you guys think this will be an issue?

Nope. TLS is filled with people who have had successful cycles with three LSAT scores.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:23 pm

cass1230 wrote:it would be my third time retaking, do you guys think this will be an issue?

No.

But yeah I would agree not to pay sticker at UM unless you are independently wealthy.

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Br3v wrote:

No.

But yeah I would agree not to pay sticker at UM unless you are independently wealthy.
haha i wish i were independently wealthy, i'd take the year off anyway, to travel

NoleMatt

New

Post by NoleMatt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:48 pm

cass1230 wrote:
Br3v wrote:

No.

haha i wish i were independently wealthy, i'd take the year off anyway, to travel
Why not work and save as much as possible since it sounds like price is a big factor for you?

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:50 pm

cass1230 wrote:So far I've gotten into UM, Stetson and FIU...naturally UM is my top choice but sticker is scary! I've been WL at Notre Dame, W&L, Wake Forest and Emory but chances of scholarships are low; still waiting on Tulane, FSU, UNC, and Vanderbilt but I'm aware that chances at scholly's there so late aren't great.

So here comes my question: Go to UM with parents help on payment and acquire some debt? Consider FIU? OR consider a year off, retake LSAT and buff up my app while working and saving $$?
How much money are you getting at FIU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Depends on if you think/know you can do better. How representative of your practice test scores have your actual ones been? How hard have you studied? No point in taking it a third time only to do like one point better.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm

rad lulz wrote:
woeisme wrote:

Depends on if you think/know you can do better. How representative of your practice test scores have your actual ones been? How hard have you studied? No point in taking it a third time only to do like one point better.
1 point could be the difference in some hefty scholarship money bro
word,
one point could be huuuuuge.

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:1 point could be the difference in some hefty scholarship money bro
What school would give hefty scholarship money for a 158, 158, 159 significant enough to offset the opportunity costs and study time on retaking for a third time? I know, I know, personal choice.
Mr. Pancakes wrote: word, one point could be huuuuuge.
Sure, in the abstract. But we're talking sub 160 and a third-time test taker. I didn't say not to retake (I actually think a retake is definitely advisable). But I'm just sayin' it's not as clear cut as it would obviously be if you were dealing with someone who took the LSAT once and underperformed.
Last edited by woeisme on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:21 pm

DELETED POST.
Last edited by woeisme on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:23 pm

more details would be helpful.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:24 pm

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:Now I have no idea whether you think OP should retake.
The deleted post was just to consolidate. I think OP should retake, but only if he thinks (reasonably) that he can do better and that his previous scores are underrepresentative. You'd agree, yeah?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:34 pm

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:
woeisme wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Now I have no idea whether you think OP should retake.
The deleted post was just to consolidate. I think OP should retake, but only if he thinks (reasonably) that he can do better and that his previous scores are underrepresentative. You'd agree, yeah?
I'd retake regardless. The third score won't hurt, and these are some pretty poor options for FL.
It took a little while for rad lulz to rub off on me and convince me to aim higher than a FL school, but everything he's ever said about Florida is true (and I'm willing to stand by that hyperbolic statement.)

Writing from the library at FIU. DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL HERE. I'm just an undergrad, but I stop in at the law building from time to time for laughs after hitting the gym (the best part about the law school is you get a nice view of a lot of hunky latin guys. That should be in their brochure. That and the fact that they'll cut classes and majors, but re-sodding the grass every other month instead of every month!? Blasphemy!) and from what I've seen, it seems half the class are paralegal types who have low-ish paying gigs lined up at their old firms or through connections, and the other half are starry eyed kids who think they're going to practice some mythical International Law narwhale because it's "FIU's middle name." (No joke, that's a slogan they use for the undergrad, too, when they push "global learning classes" on us.) Don't get me wrong, there are some people who FIU is a great fit for, but unless you have a job lined up, stay away. Same at UM, except you'll have a couple of kids who should have gone to a better school but who must have accidentally mixed up UM Law's rankings with UM Med's or something. There's a good chance at both schools that the closest you'll ever get to using latin phrases is "¡No Pagues Ese Ticket!" I'm from Sarasota, you do not want to be stuck in Tampa Bay with a Stetson degree and Stetson debt.

I know there is a lot of debate, but if you have ties to Florida rule of them could probably be summed up:

T14>>>>Strong Southern Regionals>>>>>>>UF/UM(Only in Miami)>>FSU>>>>>UM(In the rest of Florida)>>>>>> (These schools shouldn't exist to you)

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:00 pm

One point can make a big difference in a lot of cases, OP. One point can often be the difference between you hitting/ surpassing one of the 25-50-75%ile marks. Stetson's 75% is a 158, so one point would put you above it, for example.

This can play a big role when it comes down to schollies. Retake is TCR- bust your ass, get in the 160s, and shoot for UF is you're set on FL.

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
cass1230 wrote:So far I've gotten into UM, Stetson and FIU...naturally UM is my top choice but sticker is scary! I've been WL at Notre Dame, W&L, Wake Forest and Emory but chances of scholarships are low; still waiting on Tulane, FSU, UNC, and Vanderbilt but I'm aware that chances at scholly's there so late aren't great.

10k a year, BUT I did undergrad at FIU and absolutely despise the staff so I'm almost positive I'd be unhappy

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks so much guys!

By the way for the ones who wanted more details, both my 158 scores could have been a lot better but I didn't have much time to study because I was taking 5 classes during both exams and working 30+ hours a week...plus both exams conveniently fell during midterms or finals -_- Not a valid excuse but honestly it sucked.

Realistically, I could go to UM with a minimal amount of debt after, even at sticker; FIU at about $15k a year but I'm REALLY unhappy with the school; and Stetson, well honestly even with a scholarship I don't think it's worth relocating...hopefully FSU has some good news for me sometime in the near future so we'll see

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:17 am

cass1230 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

10k a year, BUT I did undergrad at FIU and absolutely despise the staff so I'm almost positive I'd be unhappy
with that scholarship that leaves you with only 6k left in tuition to pay out of pocket. that would make me seriously consider.

confusedlaw

Silver

Post by confusedlaw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 pm

About taking 3 times I think my cycle was affected I have 2 158 s and a 167 waitlists at bc bu William and Mary and Norte adams ding a USC and I have a 3.7 gpa

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:00 pm

confusedlaw wrote:About taking 3 times I think my cycle was affected I have 2 158 s and a 167 waitlists at bc bu William and Mary and Norte adams ding a USC and I have a 3.7 gpa
Maybe it's because your grammar is atrocious and you sent your app to "Norte adams" instead of Notre Dame.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”