Northeastern ($$$) v. WM ($) v. BC/Fordham (no $) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
abil2c

New

Northeastern ($$$) v. WM ($) v. BC/Fordham (no $)

Post by abil2c » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:47 pm

I am facing a decision between Northeastern with a $30,000/year scholarship and fellowship guarantee, William and Mary with $12,000/year (out of state), or BC or Fordham both of which offered no scholarship aid. I am hoping to someday work in either NYC or DC and although I have idealized Manhattan or Boston as a place I would want to live for school, the "bargain tuition" presented by WM is hard to overlook...
My reservation with WM is that there will not be the same opportunity to meet people and have activities in my free time (what little I will have). I am going to matriculate as a 1L at 21 y.o. and as selfish as it may seem, I do not want to miss out on the opportunity to socialize and date in a somewhat normal fashion. Any details on WM/Williamsburg social life? How much better is attending a school as prestigious as WM/BC/F in lieu of a school like NUSL?
Is the 200K price tag of Fordham or BC worth it? Especially vis a vis WM for less than 100K...

Any insights are SO appreciated!

dingbat

Gold

Re: Northeastern ($$$) v. WM ($) v. BC/Fordham (no $)

Post by dingbat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 am

abil2c wrote:I am facing a decision between Northeastern with a $30,000/year scholarship and fellowship guarantee, William and Mary with $12,000/year (out of state), or BC or Fordham both of which offered no scholarship aid. I am hoping to someday work in either NYC or DC and although I have idealized Manhattan or Boston as a place I would want to live for school, the "bargain tuition" presented by WM is hard to overlook...
My reservation with WM is that there will not be the same opportunity to meet people and have activities in my free time (what little I will have). I am going to matriculate as a 1L at 21 y.o. and as selfish as it may seem, I do not want to miss out on the opportunity to socialize and date in a somewhat normal fashion. Any details on WM/Williamsburg social life? How much better is attending a school as prestigious as WM/BC/F in lieu of a school like NUSL?
Is the 200K price tag of Fordham or BC worth it? Especially vis a vis WM for less than 100K...

Don't go to NUSL. W&M is definitely worth the extra $100k.
It's hard to argue that either Fordham or BC are worth the extra money. Go to ASD at W&M, or just visit. If Williamsburg sucks and you cant bust out 3 years there, go to Fordham or BC (they're about the same, Fordham does better in NY, BC probably does better in DC)

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:49 am

Since you're only 21, perhaps you can retake the LSAT to put you in a position to get scholarship from BC/BU?

None of these options are very good for you. Northeastern doesn't place well. W&M doesn't place into NYC/Boston well. BC and Fordham aren't worth sticker.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:57 am

dingbat wrote:
abil2c wrote:I am facing a decision between Northeastern with a $30,000/year scholarship and fellowship guarantee, William and Mary with $12,000/year (out of state), or BC or Fordham both of which offered no scholarship aid. I am hoping to someday work in either NYC or DC and although I have idealized Manhattan or Boston as a place I would want to live for school, the "bargain tuition" presented by WM is hard to overlook...

It's hard to argue that either Fordham or BC are worth the extra money. Go to ASD at W&M, or just visit. If Williamsburg sucks and you cant bust out 3 years there, go to Fordham or BC (they're about the same, Fordham does better in NY, BC probably does better in DC)
BC better in DC? Where are the numbers for that. From the nalp data they both seem to have minimal presence on DC. I would say retake. W and Ms latest employment numbers were, to put it bluntly, terrible. However, I give props to the school for being so forthcoming with their data when many of their peers fabricate. Boost your LSAT by 3 or so points and you're looking at big money from BC.

abil2c

New

Post by abil2c » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:41 am

It is worth mentioning that I have already taken the LSAT twice and want to avoid taking a year off if AT ALL possible...
With the $30,000 I have to put towards getting my JD (one semester working with PwC), my total costs for WM would be about 80K, BC would be ~170K, Fordham ~200K, and NUSL ~100K

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:46 am

top30man wrote:
dingbat wrote:

BC better in DC? Where are the numbers for that. From the nalp data they both seem to have minimal presence on DC. I would say retake. W and Ms latest employment numbers were, to put it bluntly, terrible. However, I give props to the school for being so forthcoming with their data when many of their peers fabricate. Boost your LSAT by 3 or so points and you're looking at big money from BC.
Whats your evidence that WMs peers fabricate their employment any more than they do? GW reported 60% employment at grad., Emory 50 something % - sounds about right to me. There is always the possibility that the WM numbers you saw were inflated even though they are terrible.

BC has a presence in DC, but its likely only top 10% + LR types. Then again, to get a DC bigfirm job from WM, you likely need the same.

rinehart27

New

Post by rinehart27 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:51 am

abil2c wrote: With the $30,000 I have to put towards getting my JD (one semester working with PwC), my total costs for WM would be about 80K, BC would be ~170K, Fordham ~200K, and NUSL ~100K
Which is why it really is in your best interest to retake. Like an above poster said, a few points could turn that BC or Fordham number in to less than 100k COA. I know the thought of it sucks, and everyone's situation is different, but if you have nothing stopping you other than the fact you don't want to sit out a year, retake. Paying off that extra 100k will absolutely suck, and future self will thank you.

What are your numbers, btw?

abil2c

New

Post by abil2c » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 pm

rinehart27 wrote:
abil2c wrote: With the $30,000 I have to put towards getting my JD (one semester working with PwC), my total costs for WM would be about 80K, BC would be ~170K, Fordham ~200K, and NUSL ~100K
Which is why it really is in your best interest to retake. Like an above poster said, a few points could turn that BC or Fordham number in to less than 100k COA. I know the thought of it sucks, and everyone's situation is different, but if you have nothing stopping you other than the fact you don't want to sit out a year, retake. Paying off that extra 100k will absolutely suck, and future self will thank you.

LSAC GPA 3.85, LSAT 164... I tend to get nauseous while taking long exams, had my head in a garbage can during both LSATs, and can't really see myself improving much more because of that (might be a little pessimistic, but I think it's more realistic)

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 pm

abil2c wrote:
rinehart27 wrote:

LSAC GPA 3.85, LSAT 164... I tend to get nauseous while taking long exams, had my head in a garbage can during both LSATs, and can't really see myself improving much more because of that (might be a little pessimistic, but I think it's more realistic)
As someone who had a 3.8/164, I would retake. If you can pull just a few more points you could save 60k at BC or even hit up Cornell. It doesn't seem worth it, but if I could do it over again, I would retake. I love BU and all, but this range of school is risky given the cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinehart27

New

Post by rinehart27 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:26 pm

abil2c wrote:
rinehart27 wrote:

Man, that GPA is seriously good. I wouldn't say you're wasting it with a 164 (that is, by most measures outside TLS, a solid score), but a couple points could gain you admission to an Ivy. I wouldn't be surprised if you got in to a few lower T14 schools with a 167-168. A few points higher and you have solid scholarship money from these schools. Then, you have a much better chance at paying off debt. You could be in a lot worse position than right now, but you can definitely be better off, too.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:44 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
top30man wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Whats your evidence that WMs peers fabricate their employment any more than they do? GW reported 60% employment at grad., Emory 50 something % - sounds about right to me. There is always the possibility that the WM numbers you saw were inflated even though they are terrible.

BC has a presence in DC, but its likely only top 10% + LR types. Then again, to get a DC bigfirm job from WM, you likely need the same.
In their admitted students packet they sent incredibly detailed job numbers: salaries, geographic location, part time, long term, firm size even firm names. It's an incredible amount of data. I suppose by fabricate I meant purposely misleading, which Fordham in particular has been known to do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”