IP boost in non IP region Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bamasplitter

New

IP boost in non IP region

Post by bamasplitter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:11 am

So I am looking at Alabama with a full scholarship plus a small stipend as my only super attractive option. I have some higher ranked options, but due to my abysmal GPA, I am not seeing much $ and I don't think I can justify taking out $150k+ in loans. My lsat is also above the 75% for everything outside of the T6 so I am not sure if retaking would really buy me anything.

I am from Alabama, so the ties thing for our market are easily covered, but I also have an engineering background with solid work experience and my goal is to get into patent law. Only problem with this is that Alabama firms haven't really done much in terms of expanding IP programs. I have to assume that some of the other secondary markets out there have similar situations when it comes to lack of strong IP presence in their region, so I am wondering if anyone can speak to what, if any, boost the IP background could give you in the job hunt both outside of your region as well as at local firms that may not traditional have strong IP groups.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated, and I am not easily offended so please be brutally honest.

Emu Flu

New

Re: IP boost in non IP region

Post by Emu Flu » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:36 pm

I imagine there must be some IP work in relation to UAB's medical field and Huntsville's large aerospace industry. I often read patent-related articles that quote patent attorneys from Alabama firms, so there must be something there. Maybe you can go to Atlanta which might have a decent patent situation.

Overall, patent people are more mobile. For example, I go to law school on the West Coast. At least 3 students with patent backgrounds worked in East Coast firms for the summer (2 in NYC, 1 in DC).

There is also a national patent interview program connected with Loyola Chicago. That can provide you with interviews with firms across the country.

yeast master

New

Post by yeast master » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:56 pm

If your are EE, you'll be in good shape to find jobs in a lot of places. You still have decent prospects if not EE, but definitely not as good.

My T50 law school is in a region that only has a little bit of IP work. Those of us with the best IP credentials (EE and bio PhD) have good jobs for the summer. I had multiple offers in D.C. and Texas. Others had offers in Chicago and California. A lot of those offers came through the Loyola patent fair, a few came from our sad little OCI, and a few came from individual hustling.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:09 pm

bamasplitter wrote:So I am looking at Alabama with a full scholarship plus a small stipend as my only super attractive option. I have some higher ranked options, but due to my abysmal GPA, I am not seeing much $ and I don't think I can justify taking out $150k+ in loans. My lsat is also above the 75% for everything outside of the T6 so I am not sure if retaking would really buy me anything.

I am from Alabama, so the ties thing for our market are easily covered, but I also have an engineering background with solid work experience and my goal is to get into patent law. Only problem with this is that Alabama firms haven't really done much in terms of expanding IP programs. I have to assume that some of the other secondary markets out there have similar situations when it comes to lack of strong IP presence in their region, so I am wondering if anyone can speak to what, if any, boost the IP background could give you in the job hunt both outside of your region as well as at local firms that may not traditional have strong IP groups.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated, and I am not easily offended so please be brutally honest.
AL cities are too small to be reliable, as is Nashville, and Chattanooga's not worth mentioning for IP. If you want to stay near AL, ATL would essentially be your home market; it's close enough that firms will believe being close to home as a tie. Just play up how close it is and how it's the natural fit because of its sophisticated IP work and larger size/economy vs. other southern cities. No guarantees, but firms will buy all of that if you can get interviews, which you should be able to do as an EE (assuming your grades are decent). Just hammer on how there's no IP work where you're from and that you see ATL as the natural fit for you due to its proximity and volume of IP work.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:09 pm

bamasplitter wrote:So I am looking at Alabama with a full scholarship plus a small stipend as my only super attractive option. I have some higher ranked options, but due to my abysmal GPA, I am not seeing much $ and I don't think I can justify taking out $150k+ in loans. My lsat is also above the 75% for everything outside of the T6 so I am not sure if retaking would really buy me anything.

AL cities are too small to be reliable, as is Nashville, and Chattanooga's not worth mentioning for IP. If you want to stay near AL, ATL would essentially be your home market; it's close enough that firms will believe being close to home as a tie. Just play up how close it is and how it's the natural fit because of its sophisticated IP work and larger size/economy vs. other southern cities. No guarantees, but firms will buy all of that if you can get interviews, which you should be able to do as an EE (assuming your grades are decent). Just hammer on how there's no IP work where you're from and that you see ATL as the natural fit for you due to its proximity and high volume of IP work.

ETA: you'll also definitely be able to take good shots at other markets given your EE background, probably through mass-mailing, but IMO ATL's going to be your best bet (even though it's tough) if you're coming out of Tuscaloosa.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”