Pepperdine (15k) vs Loyola (23k) vs USD (18k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go?

Loyola (with $23k/year - top 50% stip)
64%
Pepperdine (with $15k/year - top 33% stip)
36%
USD (with $18k/year - top 50% stip)
No votes

Total votes: 11

xtian

New

Pepperdine (15k) vs Loyola (23k) vs USD (18k)

Post by xtian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:19 pm

First thing - I've moved around a lot. I've been in Colorado for the last 10 years, and I go to CU, but that's the extent of my ties. I was accepted to CU, but with no scholarship $, and I really want to venture out of Colorado.

I want to ultimately end up living in San Diego. I love the city. My dad and uncle both lived there when they were younger.

I don't have huge dreams of going into biglaw, but I do want to be comfortable financially, obviously.

I only put in Loyola for argument's sake, but I'm really choosing between Pepperdine and USD.

Pepperdine scholly is $15k/year with stipulations - must remain in top third of class to keep scholarship
Loyola is $23k/year, USD is $18k/year - both I must only stay in top half of class to keep scholarship

I have considered taking a year off and retaking the LSAT, as my numbers are just below good enough (I believe to get into USC/UCLA). I'm at a 3.4/166. I was scoring in the 166-172 range on my practice LSATs, so I know I am capable of doing better if I do retake. But... I took a year off after high school and I took five years to finish undergrad since I double majored, so I really don't feel like taking ANOTHER year off. And, if I got into either USC or UCLA, I don't think I would get any scholarship $, and $ is big for me.

Any thoughts, opinions? Pepperdine has the #1 dispute resolution program, it has a beautiful campus, and the professors seemed very engaging. It's a small school and the students I met when visiting seemed very happy there. Going there would also mean an easier time getting into sports & entertainment law, which is something I'm definitely interested in.

However.. USD would mean less debt, much less guaranteed debt, and probably a better quality of life and a great place to settle down following law school.

magicbunny

Bronze

Re: Pepperdine (15k) vs Loyola (23k) vs USD (18k)

Post by magicbunny » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:24 pm

The top 33% stip is horrible.

Phightins

New

Post by Phightins » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:41 pm

I would use the Loyola scholarship to negotiate with Pepperdine.

xtian

New

Post by xtian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Phightins wrote:I would use the Loyola scholarship to negotiate with Pepperdine.
I tried, Pepperdine wouldn't budge.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 pm

xtian wrote:
Phightins wrote:I would use the Loyola scholarship to negotiate with Pepperdine.
I tried, Pepperdine wouldn't budge.
That's an embarrassing, TTT stip. If you gotta go now, go to Loyola. But you should probably retake:
xtian wrote:First thing - I've moved around a lot. I've been in Colorado for the last 10 years, and I go to CU, but that's the extent of my ties. I was accepted to CU, but with no scholarship $, and I really want to venture out of Colorado.

I want to ultimately end up living in San Diego. I love the city. My dad and uncle both lived there when they were younger.

I don't have huge dreams of going into biglaw, but I do want to be comfortable financially, obviously.

I only put in Loyola for argument's sake, but I'm really choosing between Pepperdine and USD.

Pepperdine scholly is $15k/year with stipulations - must remain in top third of class to keep scholarship
Loyola is $23k/year, USD is $18k/year - both I must only stay in top half of class to keep scholarship

I have considered taking a year off and retaking the LSAT, as my numbers are just below good enough (I believe to get into USC/UCLA). I'm at a 3.4/166. I was scoring in the 166-172 range on my practice LSATs, so I know I am capable of doing better if I do retake. But... I took a year off after high school and I took five years to finish undergrad since I double majored, so I really don't feel like taking ANOTHER year off. And, if I got into either USC or UCLA, I don't think I would get any scholarship $, and $ is big for me.

Any thoughts, opinions? Pepperdine has the #1 dispute resolution program, it has a beautiful campus, and the professors seemed very engaging. It's a small school and the students I met when visiting seemed very happy there. Going there would also mean an easier time getting into sports & entertainment law, which is something I'm definitely interested in.

However.. USD would mean less debt, much less guaranteed debt, and probably a better quality of life and a great place to settle down following law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 pm

I wanted to end up in San Diego, had a 3.4(9) and a 166 and sent a seat deposit in to USD last cycle. Like you, I felt I could do better on the LSAT. Ended up retaking and reapplying. I suggest you do the same.

xtian

New

Post by xtian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:34 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I wanted to end up in San Diego, had a 3.4(9) and a 166 and sent a seat deposit in to USD last cycle. Like you, I felt I could do better on the LSAT. Ended up retaking and reapplying. I suggest you do the same.
So how did you end up doing the second time around, and where did you end up choosing?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 pm

My info is in my profile, still in the process of deciding. Unfortunately people with GPAs like ours are often better off leaving California for law school. Do you have ties to anywhere in California?

coldpixies

New

Post by coldpixies » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 am

///////////
Last edited by coldpixies on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xtian

New

Post by xtian » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:03 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:My info is in my profile, still in the process of deciding. Unfortunately people with GPAs like ours are often better off leaving California for law school. Do you have ties to anywhere in California?
Here's the problem.. I don't have any ties to very much anywhere. I mean, I guess I have some ties to Colorado, but I REALLY want to move away for a bit and see somewhere new.. and other than Colorado there are literally zero desirable job markets/areas to live other than the Denverish area. The midwest/south is incredibly regional, and I'm not too fond of the high pressure east coast markets.

I REALLY like the San Diego area.. and I would love to end up there, but my better instinct tells me go with Pepperdine because it's simply a better school. Even though it did rise 5 spots to 49, its admissions criteria are on par with schools ranked in the 20-35 range. I'm sure it gets hurt by the LA job market/its religious conservative profile. So, I feel like I would have more opportunity if I went there.

Whereas USD would be the safe route. Easier school, easier competition, less $ out of law school (possibly), lower career ceiling.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:18 am

I seriously doubt the competition is much different at Pepperdine compared to USD.

The job prospects from these schools are pretty poor, and even if you keep the scholarships you're staring down more than 100K in debt. Honestly if I was you I'd look for a job in Southern California, hang out for a year studying the LSAT, and reapply.

I should also add that San Diego has a very small legal market. Even if you crush it at USD finding a job there won't be easy.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:41 am

I would ignore the dispute resolution aspect at Pepperdine. Its cool and all but won't necessarily improve your job prospects. Its probably only really useful if you get a Masters which is expensive and your debt conscious so I'm doubting your interested in that.

It sounds like if you retook, it would be to apply to similar schools and get more scholly money hopefully... your exactly right that if you got in UCLA and USC it would be at sticker so that probably forecloses them. Unfortunately your gpa makes things difficult as you seem to be well aware.

I would recommend taking a year off and saving money and retaking the LSAT to get better scholly offers. Thats the best move I think.
If you refuse to wait any longer, go to Pepperdine. They have a new DC satellite campus to improve job prospects with the Federal Government (most Fed jobs are in DC) plus their reputation has been improving for several years within LA and the OC. All in all it gives you more flexibility than USD. However job prospects are dicey and you don't want to come out of there or any school in this range with major debt

HildaAk

New

Post by HildaAk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Hey!

First of all, congrats on your acceptances. Regardless of what others may think, those are great options. Pepperdine and Loyola are both respected schools in LA. With that said, they are both higher ranked than USD and are offering you more money so if I were you, I would focus on deciding between those two. The difference between the two schools is only 2 - 3 rankings and going to Pepperdine as opposed to Loyola would cost you an extra $23,000 in tuition. I think you should visit both schools if you haven't already and see which one you feel like you belong in because employment prospects will not greatly differ between the two. If your goal is to go to USC or UCLA, perhaps consider going to Loyola, saving a little bit of money, and transfering out during your first year. Hope this helps and good luck!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Loyola.

Then USD.

Then Pepperdine.

Consider asking USD to match Loyola's offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”