In Need of Some TLS Wisdom Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CosmoKramer

New

In Need of Some TLS Wisdom

Post by CosmoKramer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 am

Given the talk in the last couple days that has popped up surrounding USC $$$ versus higher ranked schools, I'm curious to get some TLS wisdom concerning my own situation.

I'm a Californian, and would like to work Biglaw after graduation. Ideally, I'd prefer to work in the SF/Bay Area, but would settle for LA or even DC (if I could land on job there).

With that, I've narrowed my list down to my five best suspects--Berkeley (sticker), NYU (sticker), Virginia (75K) and USC (105K).

I've got ties to the Bay Area. Is the 'home court advantage' at Boalt worth the sticker cost?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated. Thanks!

Bronck

Gold

Re: In Need of Some TLS Wisdom

Post by Bronck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:27 am

Have you applied for the Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship (with UVA's offer)?

CosmoKramer

New

Post by CosmoKramer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:32 am

Bronck wrote:Have you applied for the Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship (with UVA's offer)?
Yes. I am still waiting to hear back, though I've been told from others that I should not expect to receive a matching offer.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:51 am

This is a pretty useless discussion until you negotiate scholarship money from Berkeley and/or NYU. Make sure to negotiate with both since you can leverage UVA against NYU and Berkeley and if NYU gives you a lot of $ you can turn around and use that against Berkeley.

I think Berkeley is the ideal, but I'm not sure if it's worth $75k over UVA.

CosmoKramer

New

Post by CosmoKramer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks Doorkeeper! I'm waiting to hear back from both NYU and Berkeley on $. For the purposes of this thread, I am working under the assumption (one that I think is incredibly likely) that I will receive money from neither school.

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:24 am

If the money gets close, Berkeley is the fairly obvious choice. Otherwise, Enjoy UVA. T-14 security >30K.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”