cannot decide.. please help!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Schang1

Bronze

cannot decide.. please help!!

Post by Schang1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Hello TLS users!

Here are the list of schools that I have currently been accepted at (I put at asterisk to the ones that I am "considering" attending):

-Vanderbilt*
-WUSTL*
-BU*
-BC*
-GW*
-U of Illinois
-U of Minnesota
-Fordham
-Emory
-Notre Dame
-William and Mary
-U of Washington

Just a brief introduction: I am an international student, so I have absolutely no connections at all to any state in the US. Money is not an issue for me so I haven't noted any scholarship info above (as people might choose the school that has given me the most $$). I am on the preferred waitlist for GULC, so if I get admitted, none of this would matter -- but because I doubt I'll get in, I'm planning to make seat deposits to at least 2-3 schools.

Here are my questions.. Please share your opinion/advice with me! :)

1. By rank, Vanderbilt is the highest on my list -- but like I've mentioned above, I have no connections at all to any state in the US, so does this mean that I will have to be stuck in Tennessee for the rest of my life? There are about 11-14 people who graduate from Vandy that work in NYC firms, but I have no clue if these people have connections to the city (I assume they do?). If I don't want to live in Tennessee for the rest of my life and want to work in the east coast upon graduation, is Vandy not the right choice for me?

2. Same with WUSTL, is this not the right school for me if I have zero connections to NYC or DC and perhaps might want to end up working there in the future?

3. I am leaning towards BU, BC and GW and am planning to make seat deposits to all 3 of these schools or just 2 of them (GW and BU/BC). Is this a smart thing to do?

4. GW seems to place very few of its grads in big firms, but can this just be self-selection?

5. My parents are so concerned about the "name" of the school. Among BU, BC, and GW, which school do you think carries more weight overseas?

The deposit deadline is coming up soon and I seriously cannot make my decision. Please feel free to PM me if you want! I would be happy to hear from people who are familiar with the schools I've mentioned above. Thanks in advance!!

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: cannot decide.. please help!!

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:21 pm

What do you want to do?

Onthebrink

Bronze

Post by Onthebrink » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:23 pm

I would say Vandy or GW offhand. Vandy on the merits of the school and GW just because of D.C and possible name recognition.

TLS_noobie

Bronze

Post by TLS_noobie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Taggin'

Tadatsune

Bronze

Post by Tadatsune » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:26 pm

These are respectable schools, but I don't know if any of them have international name recognition. Honestly, you'd be better positioned to make that call than most posters here. Do you think any of these schools are well known in your home country? Is there anyway you can talk to some lawyers and find out?

Edit: Oh, I hear GW is big in South Korea... I'm not sure if that helps any...

josh43299

Bronze

Post by josh43299 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 pm

rad lulz wrote:What do you want to do?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”