Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MTBike

Bronze

Re: Bama U(25k) v Minnesota (25k)

Post by MTBike » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm

bk187 wrote:
MTBike wrote:
bk187 wrote:
MTBike wrote:How strong of a tie is a wife/fiance? (in comparison to the "from the area" tie) Even if you arent from that area, would firms consider that as a reason to stay in an area? Assuming the fiance/wife has a job in said area... if this isnt a possible comparison just say so lol
I think most employers would consider it a strong tie. Might be an issue if the SO is a non-native in a more temporary position (e.g. school as opposed to permanent job, or if the job is at Starbucks).
Huh.... good to know.
It's about articulating good reasons to be there that convince the firm/employer you will stay. If you're a native then it's easy (employers will just assume that you like it since you've lived there a ton). Also as a native it's easy to articulate what you like about the area since you've lived there and can be specific whereas non-natives will find it harder to articulate those specifics. "My SO is here and we want to settle down as a family" is good, but that would be undercut if the SO just moved there and is working in a temporary job or is in a school program where most grads leave (meaning he/she is more likely to bolt with you in tow).

Keep in mind that this doesn't really apply to your average job. As romo pointed out it costs employers to train new attorneys since they know nothing. On the other hand the Milwaukee Starbucks probably doesn't care as much since its employees are transient anyways and it takes all of 30 minutes to train them.
Most helpful 15 minutes on TLS by far... thanks guys. The firm I work for seems to care less about ties than what i've heard, so my perception on its importance is probably slightly scewed.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:OP I don't know if you are still reading this, but Midwest Josh and MTbike are either trolling or they are irrationally biased. Josh said he goes to UMN... He also made up bunch of statistics how many students are from OOS and how many leave Minnesota.
Wrong. I didn't make up anything. You're free to call Alan Haynes, Director of the UMN Career Center and get the stats from him. If you want to argue with him, fine. Here's his number: (612) 625-5284. But don't you dare accuse me of falsifying facts. I am one of the only people on this forum who makes an attempt to support my assertions with references. If you take a gander back through this thread, you'll see that's what led to substantive discussion.

Don't accuse me of lying, or trolling. That's entirely uncalled for. There is nothing about my posts that have even a modicum of trolling or dishonesty, and your accusation is what's wrong with this forum - and quite frankly, this profession. I have absolutely no interest in continuing conversation in this thread. Best of luck, all.

--Josh
Last edited by MidwestJosh on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:56 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:OP I don't know if you are still reading this, but Midwest Josh and MTbike are either trolling or they are irrationally biased. Josh said he goes to UMN... He also made up bunch of statistics how many students are from OOS and how many leave Minnesota.
Wrong. I didn't make up anything. You're free to call Alan Haynes, Director of the UMN Career Center and get the stats from him. If you want to argue with him, fine. Here's his number: (612) 625-5284. But don't you dare accuse me of falsifying facts. I am one of the only people on this forum that makes an attempt to support my assertions with references. If you take a gander back through this thread, you'll see that's what led to substantive discussion.

Don't accuse me of lying, or trolling. That's entirely uncalled for. There is nothing about my posts that have even a modicum of trolling or dishonesty, and your accusation is what's wrong with this forum - and quite frankly, this profession. I have absolutely no interest in continuing conversation in this thread. Best of luck, all.

--Josh
MidwestJosh FTW!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:10 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:
Wrong. I didn't make up anything. You're free to call Alan Haynes, Director of the UMN Career Center and get the stats from him. If you want to argue with him, fine. Here's his number: (612) 625-5284. But don't you dare accuse me of falsifying facts. I am one of the only people on this forum who makes an attempt to support my assertions with references. If you take a gander back through this thread, you'll see that's what led to substantive discussion.
You said Minn places mostly out of state. In fact it does not. Then you said "oh well I meant in all the other years," except you said it like an asshole would say it. Then you offered no proof of this. Then you posted someones phone number on the innerwebs who probably wouldn't have appreciated it. Then you got kinda weird and dramatic, like a insecure high school girl or a man whose too close to his mother or something. Then you said something hilarious that I've highlighted.
MidwestJosh wrote: Don't accuse me of lying, or trolling. That's entirely uncalled for. There is nothing about my posts that have even a modicum of trolling or dishonesty, and your accusation is what's wrong with this forum - and quite frankly, this profession. I have absolutely no interest in continuing conversation in this thread. Best of luck, all.

--Josh
Ok here you did the weird dramatic thing again.

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:38 pm

What is up with all these apologists for a dump like Minnesota?

I have never seen such mean, unfunnny "internet is serious business" crap out of any other group of posters. You might think the dramatic legal language makes you sound intelligent- in reality it makes you sounds like a person with a major Napoleon Complex.

To 0Ls, this is another reason not to become a lawyer. You have deal with psychopathic, massively egotistical personalities like the ones above all day long.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:41 pm

I've discussed the inclusion of Mr. Haynes name and phone number on this site with him. He's also confirmed the placement statistics that I've repeatedly cited him as being the source of. Anyone reading this site is more than welcome to call him to confirm.

As for the rest of your comments - as well as James' - well, I'll let them speak for themselves.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:44 pm

JamesChapman23 wrote:What is up with all these apologists for a dump like Minnesota?

I have never seen such mean, unfunnny "internet is serious business" crap out of any other group of posters. You might think the dramatic legal language makes you sound intelligent- in reality it makes you sounds like a person with a major Napoleon Complex. Law isn't even real profession.
It baffles me. I think they might be up in arms because of the other threads that aren't so complimentary to Minnesota, but they clog up OPs thread, when there is a whole other thread to discuss the Campos post on Minnesota. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=180909

I'm thinking that I might call the Minn office they posted and talk to the guy. ( I can't imagine why they would post that info on a public forum like this _ I would never expose my school like this.) If only so he knows they are dropping his name and number. (edit - guess he gave permission to have his name used on the forum! That is good, I can see that Minn really cares about its reputation on this forum.) I would like to know what he thinks about the Campos post and if they intend to responds. But, on the other hand, I don't care that much about the whole issue and OP has probably given up on his own thread. Sorry OP, I was trying to help you!

edit - I deleted the name and number from my post in case the posters want to remove it from the thread. I am very leery of having a number posted on the internet, even though it isn't my problem.
Last edited by sunynp on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:45 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:I've discussed the inclusion of Mr. Haynes name and phone number on this site with him. He's also confirmed the placement statistics that I've repeatedly cited him as being the source of. Anyone reading this site is more than welcome to call him to confirm.

As for the rest of your comments - as well as James' - well, I'll let them speak for themselves.
Yes, the numbers speak to the fact that at least 1/3 of the class of 2010 could not get a full time job as a lawyer or a permanent position. That is pretty telling.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:12 pm

bk187 wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:I've discussed the inclusion of Mr. Haynes name and phone number on this site with him. He's also confirmed the placement statistics that I've repeatedly cited him as being the source of. Anyone reading this site is more than welcome to call him to confirm.

Yes, the numbers speak to the fact that at least 1/3 of the class of 2010 could not get a full time job as a lawyer or a permanent position. That is pretty telling.
MidwestJosh, I don't think people are calling you out as much as MTBike ITT. If you are from the Midwest with $$$ it's not a bad call.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”