Please help me decide! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Please help me decide!

Washington & Lee (15k/year)
22%
William and Mary (12k/year)
17%
Maryland (no financial info yet)
No votes
Cardozo (18k/year)
32%
Temple (7.5k/year)
1%
Brooklyn (30k/year)
13%
St. John's (full ride)
14%

Total votes: 69

lawstudent06789

New

Re: Please help me decide!

Post by lawstudent06789 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:28 pm

TLSwag: also one word of warning that I had to take into consideration when choosing BLS over Dozo - assuming you get more $ from BLS - 30k at Dozo is closer to 2/3 tuition, not 3/4.. not a huge difference.. but I made the same 3/4 assumption at first before I realized it was wishful thinking.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:21 pm

eldeadtone wrote:TLSwag: I apologize for the sarcasm. I tried negotiating with BLS for scholly up from 32 - they said no. However, 2 days later I randomly received an email saying they bumped up my scholly to 42k.. so if you haven't yet, I would definitely try to negotiate. I included the alumni/reputation thing because I have already met multiple BLS grads that have a weird loyalty to BLS - they all think I should go there. I'm not choosing BLS based on their biased opinions, but I do count them as alumni that might serve as possible connections/job offers ( I'm currently interning for one). I think alumni/connections are a real factor in the field of law.. and the thousands of BLS grads practicing in NY seem to offer an edge over DOZO in that respect. I agree that this doesn't have any effect in terms of biglaw.. but since that is a small chance for all of us anyway.. alumni/connections is a practical backup plan in my opinion.
Credited. That was a better way to phrase it - I think we can both agree BLS is absolutely the right choice for you, even tossing aside the cheaper COA for similar opportunities argument (which is obviously more then compelling in itself). Connections are definitely a factor and you appear to have made worthwhile inroads with BLS alumni, which is definitely an asset in your preference for it over Cardozo... What I was getting at is that someone not in your position, (hypothetically consider someone with same COA & no advanced connections to either school), would enjoy the same opportunities to connect with prestigious alumni/hiring partners/contacts at Cardozo as BLS. I.e. I don't find the argument for an older field of alumni and bigger base is too compelling in that sense, so I feel this is a poor basis for someone to merit a decision upon. You have a unique situation and I would absolutely agree with your decision in BLS...that's awesome you found some real alumni connections/internship opportunities so far in advance!

Jealous... :!:

lawstudent06789

New

Post by lawstudent06789 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 pm

If you go Dozo or BLS let me know. On another note, I'm also thinking of retaking June LSAT... are you attacking it the same way as you did the first time/times? I pt'ed high 160s/low 170s so I feel like I should retake.. but I'm feeling pretty worn out at this point.

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 am

eldeadtone wrote:If you go Dozo or BLS let me know. On another note, I'm also thinking of retaking June LSAT... are you attacking it the same way as you did the first time/times? I pt'ed high 160s/low 170s so I feel like I should retake.. but I'm feeling pretty worn out at this point.
Wow can't believe how similar we are just looked at ur numbers, (im 166, 3.4) - I only took it once and I pt'ed 168/9-172,

I am approaching it differently in that I have refined my RC strategy, which fucked me. i am extremely consistent with LG (typically -0 or-1 if i make a stupid mistake) and LR (both sections = avg~ -7 and range of -4 to -9 ALWAYS). I got a fucking -8 on my RC on my test because I messed up timing - I have mad vast improvements in my recent prep where as I used to be mildly inconsistent (-4 to -8) I am now consistently in the -3 to -5/6 range. PM if you are more interested!

If you have only taken it once, u should retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”