UF vs Florida State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sspinner

New

UF vs Florida State

Post by Sspinner » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:23 am

So I know that I will probably take some heat for this but I'm just trying to figure out if there is any reason that one would choose FSU over UF. They are very close in the rankings but it seems like UF has more prestige and accepts more qualified applicants overall. I would have the same amount of debt at both schools (~50k) and I'm fine taking a job pretty much anywhere in Florida. My main tie is to a NLJ250 firm in Michigan; I'm very close to with one of the partners and they have an office in Tampa that I would most likely end up at if they hired me. So I'm expecting anyone who answers to say "UF no question" but I'm just curious if anyone has any argument to the contrary.

Thanks!

Alan

Bronze

Re: UF vs Florida State

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:26 am

Same COA? UF no question.

Sspinner

New

Post by Sspinner » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:29 am

Alan wrote:Same COA? UF no question.
Pretty much, yeah. Cost of living might be slightly cheaper at FSU but not enough to throw off the total number by much.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:47 am

If you go to UF make sure to stock up on jorts so you fit in

MellowMantis

New

Post by MellowMantis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:52 am

Would you say going to FSU puts you at a considerable disadvantage for instate employment or is your performance in your own school more of a factor?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:30 pm

FSU and UF are essentially even.

Pick which one you like more. If you visit both, it will be FSU. Gainesville is the most boring POS town you'll ever go to.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:42 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Pick which one you like more. If you visit both, it will be FSU. Gainesville is the most boring POS town you'll ever go to.
lol

Really? If you want a poor, crime ridden town, then yes, FSU is the clear choice.

And yes, this is 5 years old, but these authors disagree with you. Ranked Gainesville as the best place to live.... in the country.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:44 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:Pick which one you like more. If you visit both, it will be FSU. Gainesville is the most boring POS town you'll ever go to.
lol

Really? If you want a poor, crime ridden town, then yes, FSU is the clear choice.

And yes, this is 5 years old, but these authors disagree with you. Ranked Gainesville as the best place to live.... in the country.
Have you been to both cities for significant periods of time?

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:47 pm

It depends on if your aversion to saying "Go Gators" is stronger than your aversion to hearing that woooo-oh-oooohhhua thing for the entire football game.....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mitch McDeere

New

Post by Mitch McDeere » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Anyone that says "UF, no question" is giving you uninformed advice. These two schools are very similar in almost every way. Because of that, the minor differences between the schools matter much more. I know of a person who chose UF over FSU because he preferred SEC football to ACC. I know of someone else who chose FSU because it was slightly closer to home than UF was (she was from north GA). Making such an important decision based on such arbitrary/minor qualities of a law school would be ridiculous under most other circumstances, but not when choosing between two nearly identical schools.

OP, if you believe that the ties you have to this firm will likely land you a job, then that makes it even more a matter of personal preference. Does the idea that UF is ranked a few spots higher give you some irrational peace of mind? If so, that may be enough to tip the scale in favor of becoming a gator. It wouldn't for me, but like I said, the little things matter when deciding between these two schools.

For me, I chose FSU over UF because of the friendly atmosphere I picked up on during my visit. The people were nice at UF as well, but it wasn't the same as it was during my trip to Tally. At the end of the day, you're going to be in a very similar position when you graduate, regardless of which school you attend. It kind of sounds like your mind is already made up, and if so, enjoy UF. I just wouldn't be so quick to dismiss FSU.

One more thing: I'm not sure where you heard that UF takes "more qualified applicants overall", but that is certainly not true. I'm not sure what the stats are now, but last year UF 1Ls had slightly better GPAs and FSU 1Ls had slightly higher LSAT scores. The "quality of the applicants" at both schools are identical.

Mitch McDeere

New

Post by Mitch McDeere » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:31 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
lol

The US Conference of Mayors would disagree with you. This is from last year.

http://usmayors.org/79thAnnualMeeting/d ... DS0611.pdf

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:33 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
lol

gainesville is an awful, awful place

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Everyone who goes to FSU will tell you that Gainesville is shitty. Everyone that goes to UF will tell you that Tallahassee is shitty. The reality is that they are both generally shitty, but still pretty fun for college students. Visit and see which school you like best.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:15 pm

beezy08 wrote:Everyone who goes to FSU will tell you that Gainesville is shitty. Everyone that goes to UF will tell you that Tallahassee is shitty. The reality is that they are both generally shitty, but still pretty fun for college students. Visit and see which school you like best.
There are crappy parts to Tallahassee, but there's no doubt that Tallahassee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gainesville.

Some people love Gainesville though. Everyone is different. Visit and see if you like it better than Tally.

Its Always Sunny

New

Post by Its Always Sunny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:26 pm

I like tally a lot more than Gainesville. However UF has a larger, richer, and more close alumni. I don't find that being a part of "gator nation" will absolutely secure a job, but will most likely help if your staying in Florida. Also I know not end all be all, but OCI at UF is better and if you want south Florida then UF or Miami are your best bet. Finally the vibe I got and from people I talk to is that FSU is where people go if they didn't get into UF. There stats are similar, but UF is harder to get into and that creates a prestige mentality in the state of Florida

Sspinner

New

Post by Sspinner » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:Are you from FL?
Yes; I'm paying almost sticker for tuition but have my living expenses covered

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sspinner

New

Post by Sspinner » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:I like tally a lot more than Gainesville. However UF has a larger, richer, and more close alumni. I don't find that being a part of "gator nation" will absolutely secure a job, but will most likely help if your staying in Florida. Also I know not end all be all, but OCI at UF is better and if you want south Florida then UF or Miami are your best bet. Finally the vibe I got and from people I talk to is that FSU is where people go if they didn't get into UF. There stats are similar, but UF is harder to get into and that creates a prestige mentality in the state of Florida
Yeah and I am one of them haha. I am in at FSU and still waiting on UF but I'm not super confident with my numbers. The funny thing is that UF has 100 more 1L's which makes FSU's acceptance rate lower. I'd definitely rather work in South Florida but not Miami specifically. I'd prefer Lauderale or West Palm and if not then up to Orlando or Tampa.

Its Always Sunny

New

Post by Its Always Sunny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Sspinner wrote:
Its Always Sunny wrote:I like tally a lot more than Gainesville. However UF has a larger, richer, and more close alumni. I don't find that being a part of "gator nation" will absolutely secure a job, but will most likely help if your staying in Florida. Also I know not end all be all, but OCI at UF is better and if you want south Florida then UF or Miami are your best bet. Finally the vibe I got and from people I talk to is that FSU is where people go if they didn't get into UF. There stats are similar, but UF is harder to get into and that creates a prestige mentality in the state of Florida
Yeah and I am one of them haha. I am in at FSU and still waiting on UF but I'm not super confident with my numbers. The funny thing is that UF has 100 more 1L's which makes FSU's acceptance rate lower. I'd definitely rather work in South Florida but not Miami specifically. I'd prefer Lauderale or West Palm and if not then up to Orlando or Tampa.
Yea I mean Miami dominates south Florida and UF is a close second. Check out law firms websites and you will rarely see a FSU law grad. Also I don't have and exact data but FSU normally accepts a large amount of transfers. Usually twice that of UF. Idk if this is because it's an easy way to boost income without affecting their lsat and gpa median or what.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Speaking as a UF student, unless you absolutely loathe Gainesville I believe it to be a clear-cut choice over FSU. In a networking state like Florida, having the Gator's alumni base is a discernibly strong advantage. It has worked out well for me.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 pm

JORTS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote: Yea I mean Miami dominates south Florida and UF is a close second.
lol

Its Always Sunny

New

Post by Its Always Sunny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:12 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
Its Always Sunny wrote: Yea I mean Miami dominates south Florida and UF is a close second.
lol
Besides T14 where do most Miami law firms recruit?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
lol
Every person who goes to Miami admits that it is in a terrible state right now, and at sticker FIU would probably be a better option at this point.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
lol
Emory and Vandy?

Re: this thread

*facepalm*
Last edited by NoleinNY on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”