Seattle University vs. Michigan State University Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PrinceKasra

New

Seattle University vs. Michigan State University

Post by PrinceKasra » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 am

I am leaning towards choosing Michigan State over Seattle but only by a small margin. I would be grateful if I could get some insight into determining job opportunities for graduates from both schools. Also, if anyone can let me know the trend of their rankings over the past few years it would help a great deal.

Jaeger

Bronze

Re: Seattle University vs. Michigan State University

Post by Jaeger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:28 am

PrinceKasra wrote:I am leaning towards choosing Michigan State over Seattle but only by a small margin. I would be grateful if I could get some insight into determining job opportunities for graduates from both schools. Also, if anyone can let me know the trend of their rankings over the past few years it would help a great deal.
What opportunities?

*sigh*

If you insist on going to one of these schools, you'd better know that's where you want to live/work/settle down/die. And please don't do it at sticker.

PrinceKasra

New

Post by PrinceKasra » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:36 am

I know job opportunities everywhere are horrible. But I guess what I want to know is that which school has a higher chance of finding a job after 9 months of graduation. Maybe also the median starting salary for private law firms between the two. Because for me living in either place would be fine. Both have similar weathers and I like both of their cities.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:40 am

PrinceKasra wrote:I know job opportunities everywhere are horrible. But I guess what I want to know is that which school has a higher chance of finding a job after 9 months of graduation. Maybe also the median starting salary for private law firms between the two. Because for me living in either place would be fine. Both have similar weathers and I like both of their cities.
Almost everything you said is wrong. On what alternate plane of existence where Cooley is T14 is Seattle weather the same as East Lansing?

Also, job prospects don't matter much because they are both awful unless in top 10%. And the median salaries are adjusted for COL so who cares? If you must know, try USNWR. They have loads of helpful data.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:41 am

Do you have ties to Seattle? If not, do NOT go to Seattle U...

Edit: Even with ties, Seattle U is not a particularly good idea

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:52 am

According to jne, Michigan State is on the rise, so there's that.

But seriously, where are you from?

PrinceKasra

New

Post by PrinceKasra » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:54 am

I am from Los Angeles, CA so neither school is necessarily close to me. I am still waiting on some higher ranked schools but if I have to go down to these two I want to know which one I should place a deposit to secure my place.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:55 am

Uh, neither then. Do you have any CA options?

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:55 am

PrinceKasra wrote:I am from Los Angeles, CA so neither school is necessarily close to me. I am still waiting on some higher ranked schools but if I have to go down to these two I want to know which one I should place a deposit to secure my place.
Dude, you have a 3.7, retake. At the very least you can try for your UG school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PrinceKasra

New

Post by PrinceKasra » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:03 am

My LSAT has been my weak point and has ruined my chances in a top 50 school. I blew my chance with the LSAT. I took it two times before the December 2011 test and I had gotten 148 and 150. So a 154 is a pretty decent rise for me. I took Blueprint courses for it and got my practice scores into the high 150s and even a 161 5 days before the test day but I noticed every test day I messed up a whole game which costs me my points. I usually get 20 right on the games but every time the real test arrives I end with about 16 right on games. I think taking it a fourth time and risking a break down during the test would make things worse. So I am keeping my 3.7 and 154, hoping for the best.

PrinceKasra

New

Post by PrinceKasra » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:04 am

What I have learned from this experience is to never listen to advice from family and friends in terms of law school. I should have been patient and practicing for the lsat before my first test but instead I chose to self study, which gave me 2 lower scores.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:05 am

PrinceKasra wrote:My LSAT has been my weak point and has ruined my chances in a top 50 school. I blew my chance with the LSAT. I took it two times before the December 2011 test and I had gotten 148 and 150. So a 154 is a pretty decent rise for me. I took Blueprint courses for it and got my practice scores into the high 150s and even a 161 5 days before the test day but I noticed every test day I messed up a whole game which costs me my points. I usually get 20 right on the games but every time the real test arrives I end with about 16 right on games. I think taking it a fourth time and risking a break down during the test would make things worse. So I am keeping my 3.7 and 154, hoping for the best.

Maybe law school is not for you.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:06 am

PrinceKasra wrote:What I have learned from this experience is to never listen to advice from family and friends in terms of law school. I should have been patient and practicing for the lsat before my first test but instead I chose to self study, which gave me 2 lower scores.
PM'ed you. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PrinceKasra

New

Post by PrinceKasra » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:10 am

A lot of people tell me law school might not be something I should do every time I say my lsat score. But trust me, I know with confidence that there is no other career I would enjoy more than being a lawyer, even if it means that I will end up in a tier 2 school. I enjoy law. I understand law school is going to be extremely tough and contains intense course work but I am excited to take on the challenge. I love learning rules and applying them to cases. I have taken courses that range from almost all subjects and in my undergrad years I have to say my Con Law course was the best. I actually read the cases from the Sullivan book when most people were lazy to look it up online. I just cannot describe it, but I am really passionate with law. So if law is not for me, then I would rather just stay home and do nothing.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:26 am

PrinceKasra wrote:A lot of people tell me law school might not be something I should do every time I say my lsat score. But trust me, I know with confidence that there is no other career I would enjoy more than being a lawyer, even if it means that I will end up in a tier 2 school. I enjoy law. I understand law school is going to be extremely tough and contains intense course work but I am excited to take on the challenge. I love learning rules and applying them to cases. I have taken courses that range from almost all subjects and in my undergrad years I have to say my Con Law course was the best. I actually read the cases from the Sullivan book when most people were lazy to look it up online. I just cannot describe it, but I am really passionate with law. So if law is not for me, then I would rather just stay home and do nothing.
Does.Not.Compute.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:28 am

l
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PrinceKasra

New

Post by PrinceKasra » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:34 am

It is more than just that. Of course being a lawyer is far different than studying the law in school. You get trained to do your job and forget about the methods that get you to pass classes. But I remember some people on these posts telling me to not go to law school and after I looked them up I realized they were people who were bitter at the application cycle or just want me not to go because it is just more competition. So if you are trying to persuade me to forget it then you are wasting your time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:34 am

PrinceKasra wrote:It is more than just that. Of course being a lawyer is far different than studying the law in school. You get trained to do your job and forget about the methods that get you to pass classes. But I remember some people on these posts telling me to not go to law school and after I looked them up I realized they were people who were bitter at the application cycle or just want me not to go because it is just more competition. So if you are trying to persuade me to forget it then you are wasting your time.
wat

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:01 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:31 am

PrinceKasra wrote:It is more than just that. Of course being a lawyer is far different than studying the law in school. You get trained to do your job and forget about the methods that get you to pass classes. But I remember some people on these posts telling me to not go to law school and after I looked them up I realized they were people who were bitter at the application cycle or just want me not to go because it is just more competition. So if you are trying to persuade me to forget it then you are wasting your time.
Let me first assure you that I am neither bitter at the application cycle (I am very happy on how things turned out and I really enjoy my school) and I am a current law student, so there is no "competition" motive.

PrinceKasra wrote: But trust me, I know with confidence that there is no other career I would enjoy more than being a lawyer, even if it means that I will end up in a tier 2 school. I enjoy law. . . . I love learning rules and applying them to cases. I have taken courses that range from almost all subjects and in my undergrad years I have to say my Con Law course was the best. I actually read the cases from the Sullivan book when most people were lazy to look it up online. I just cannot describe it, but I am really passionate with law.
So, you have a strong feeling that you will enjoy law school. You realize law school and actually practicing law are two very different things? You will not be handling constitutional issues after law school. You will not be even handling difficult or interesting questions most likely b/c big firms get those kinds of cases usually and the schools you are looking at will not give you a good chance at getting biglaw. (And realize that I might be even painting too rosy of a picture; many people who do big firm work right now may laugh at the idea of biglaw providing difficult/interesting work.) I don't think it's a problem to think you will like law school but not really have a clue about actually being a lawyer. I personally think that there are certain situations where a person can go to law school not really knowing what kind of legal job they want, and things will most likely end up fine. You are not in one of those situations. Even if you know exactly what you want to do after law school, it's likely not worth it to pay sticker at either of these schools.

I would make sure you really want to be a lawyer and not just a law student. And then I would retake and go to a law school that gives you a fighting chance to actually practice law, rather than just incur a ton of debt and find a non-legal job afterwards.

lobolawyer

Bronze

Post by lobolawyer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:54 am

The advice that you're getting in this thread is accurate. However, to answer your question, I would choose Seattle. You're from the Westcoast, the weather in Seattle is better, and the Michigan economy is one of the worst in the country - though I'm not sure how far Seattle will get you in terms of job prospects in Wash.

edit: I just looked at the tuition prices for these schools, and I wouldn't pay sticker. If you're not getting any $$$ proceed with caution. This is not legal advice. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

josh43299

Bronze

Post by josh43299 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:37 am

Jaeger wrote:
PrinceKasra wrote:A lot of people tell me law school might not be something I should do every time I say my lsat score. But trust me, I know with confidence that there is no other career I would enjoy more than being a lawyer, even if it means that I will end up in a tier 2 school. I enjoy law. I understand law school is going to be extremely tough and contains intense course work but I am excited to take on the challenge. I love learning rules and applying them to cases. I have taken courses that range from almost all subjects and in my undergrad years I have to say my Con Law course was the best. I actually read the cases from the Sullivan book when most people were lazy to look it up online. I just cannot describe it, but I am really passionate with law. So if law is not for me, then I would rather just stay home and do nothing.
Does.Not.Compute.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:21 pm

lobolawyer wrote:The advice that you're getting in this thread is accurate. However, to answer your question, I would choose Seattle. You're from the Westcoast, the weather in Seattle is better, and the Michigan economy is one of the worst in the country - though I'm not sure how far Seattle will get you in terms of job prospects in Wash.

edit: I just looked at the tuition prices for these schools, and I wouldn't pay sticker. If you're not getting any $$$ proceed with caution. This is not legal advice. :D
I've seen the sun MAYBE three times since October. There are a lot of great things about Seattle, but the weather is not one of them. It's ten months of gray and dismal.

OP, don't go to either of those schools without ties AND a hefty, non-stipulated scholarship. If you're from CA go to a school there instead.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:29 pm

What I've learned here:

1. If OP can't be a lawyer, he'd rather sit at home and do nothing. (Presumably his parents' home since he won't be able to afford one without a job.)

2. Everyone who advises against going to law school is a) bitter about their cycle and/or unemployed, or b) just scared of competition from the OP. He is quite intimidating, after all.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:What I've learned here:

1. If OP can't be a lawyer, he'd rather sit at home and do nothing. (Presumably his parents' home since he won't be able to afford one without a job.)

2. Everyone who advises against going to law school is a) bitter about their cycle and/or unemployed, or b) just scared of competition from the OP. He is quite intimidating, after all.
1. You are assuming that his parents are still married.

2. You are assuming that the person in question doesn't get an inheritance/money of some sort.

3. I do read some bitter people here that are merely trolling instead of offering constructive criticism. Suffice it to say, if you can spend your time on this site during the day, you're not making mucho bucks yourself (global use of the term - not aimed particularly at you). Most credible agencies I worked for didn't allow for ANY internet usage that did not directly affect the work sphere. This applies here.

4. If your criticism is going to be, don't go to X school because of X reason, I'd like to sell you some ocean-front property in Nebraska. Because both statements are ridiculous.

5. There are legitimate reasons to not go to X school. None were provided. And if you'd like to assume that the person in question didn't think of the weather and other criterion in his calculation, I'm going to question your (once again global use of the word) ability to offer any credible advice to any future client within your wing.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”