Ruby at UChicago v. Harvard v. Columbia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which should I choose?

Harvard ($21,000 per year grant)
36%
UChicago (Rubenstein Scholarship)
60%
Columbia (Butler)
3%
NYU ($87,500 total)
1%

Total votes: 137

nametaken

Bronze

Ruby at UChicago v. Harvard v. Columbia

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:10 pm

So after debating this with myself and everyone else I know, I decided to take my situation to TLS since my friends are becoming annoyed with me and will not listen to me without just saying Columbia over and over again (we live in NYC). So here it is:

I am not exactly sure what I want to do after school. I do know I want to be in NYC. I think I would most likely want to spend a few years in big law, pay off my huge amount of undergrad debt, and maybe think about doing something more fulfilling later.

Columbia: was always my dream law school. I'm originally from California, I went to NYU for undergad, live in NYC now, and am not happy about the idea of moving. I love it here and feel like it is home, have great friends, and am not thrilled about the idea of making a big move to a place I know nothing about again. I was offered the Butler Fellowship (half tuition) and am trying to negotiate up. Obviously, I don't think I can choose the Butler over Harvard and the Ruby.

Harvard: I just got my financial aid info and will get a $21,000 per year grant. This means I will still graduate with a lot of debt, but it's Harvard and I know their LRAP program is good/ it shouldn't be an issue if I do Big Law. I loved the campus, but Cambridge is small and I am definitely concerned about that. The grading system is a pro, but I've heard mixed reviews of how social/friendly the law students are, which is a little unsettling.

Chicago: I was recently offered the Rubenstein which shook everything up for me. I have never been to Chicago before, but I'm attending the ASW at the end of the month. I will have a friend living in Hyde Park, which is a plus. However, I've heard mixed reviews about the law school/students ("where fun goes to die") so am wondering if anyone can say anything about this.

NYU: Offered $87,500 or $105,000 if I do public interest my 2L summer.

For now, I think my choice is mainly between Harvard and the Rubenstein. If anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it. TYIA!
Last edited by nametaken on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tadatsune

Bronze

Re: Ruby at UChicago v. Harvard v. Columbia

Post by Tadatsune » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Damn.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:28 pm

I have nothing to add as your decision is a very personal one, but congratulations.

t14fanboy

Bronze

Post by t14fanboy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:33 pm

nametaken wrote:So after debating this with myself and everyone else I know, I decided to take my situation to TLS since my friends are becoming annoyed with me and will not listen to me without just saying Columbia over and over again (we live in NYC). So here it is:

I am not exactly sure what I want to do after school. I do know I want to be in NYC. I think I would most likely want to spend a few years in big law, pay off my huge amount of undergrad debt, and maybe think about doing something more fulfilling later.

Columbia: was always my dream law school. I'm originally from California, I went to NYU for undergad, live in NYC now, and am not happy about the idea of moving. I love it here and feel like it is home, have great friends, and am not thrilled about the idea of making a big move to a place I know nothing about again. I was offered the Butler Fellowship (half tuition) and am trying to negotiate up. Obviously, I don't think I can choose the Butler over Harvard and the Ruby.

Harvard: I just got my financial aid info and will get a $21,000 per year grant. This means I will still graduate with a lot of debt, but it's Harvard and I know their LRAP program is good/ it shouldn't be an issue if I do Big Law. I loved the campus, but Cambridge is small and I am definitely concerned about that. The grading system is a pro, but I've heard mixed reviews of how social/friendly the law students are, which is a little unsettling.

Chicago: I was recently offered the Rubenstein which shook everything up for me. I have never been to Chicago before, but I'm attending the ASW at the end of the month. I will have a friend living in Hyde Park, which is a plus. However, I've heard mixed reviews about the law school/students ("where fun goes to die") so am wondering if anyone can say anything about this.

NYU: Offered $87,500 or $105,000 if I do public interest my 2L summer.

For now, I think my choice is mainly between Harvard and the Rubenstein. If anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it. TYIA!
Yes but why try to pay off loans when you can go to a baller school for free. Accumulate that wealth man.

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Just pick your least favorite and I will take it instead.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 pm

1. As you said, you should negotiate with Columbia to try and get a Hamilton. Do not be afraid to tell them both: a) Columbia is your dream school, and b) Without a better scholarship offer, you cannot attend. You sound really, really whetted to NYC, so if you can get a Hamilton, then I say go to Columbia. Harvard or Chicago isn't worth 3 years of being unhappy relative to your live in NYC. Plus you would graduate debt free and you would still be really well positioned for anything in NYC job-wise.

2. If you can't get the Hamilton, it's then between Harvard and Chicago. This is a tough call and is dependent on your level of debt aversion. If you're ok with 150-175k in debt coming out of Harvard, then go there. But if you're worried about the debt forcing your career options after law school, I would definitely go with Chicago. Pretty much everything attainable from Harvard is attainable from Chicago, including academia, big law, prestigious PI, etc. I mean it has a lower shot at a Supreme Court clerkship, but you shouldn't be making a 150k decision on that. You would graduate debt free and would therefore have no reason to go into biglaw other than you wanting to work in biglaw. It's a really freeing thing to have that might be something to consider.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 pm

checkster wrote:Just pick your least favorite and I will take it instead.
Sounds great, help me figure out what to do and I'll send a withdrawal email to the others and let them know you will be taking my place! :D

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Just to offer a contrarian point of view: You've narrowed your choices to Harvard & Chicago, but you love living in NYC & don't want to move. Negotiate with NYU & Columbia so you can stay where you are comfortable & thriving.

Back to reality: It's Harvard ! Chicago with a full tuition & fees scholarship ! Both offer a chance to grow in a new environment. Do you want a large law school environment or a small school with tiny debt ?

P.S. Stanford or Yale ?

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Congrats!! I know this must be a very stressful decision for you, and can be a touchy subject with friends and family with strong opinions.

You obviously can't really go wrong with whatever you pick. However, since you don't really know what you want to do long-term I would lean toward Harvard. I think one of Harvard's biggest benefits is its flexibility in the long run.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more. I am facing a similar decision.

Good luck and congrats again!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:50 pm

With a huge amount of undergrad debt, you should absolutely take the Ruby in my opinion. UChicago can get you back to NYC biglaw easily. You wouldn't be crazy for picking Harvard with $60k though (depending on what you mean by "huge" amount).

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Regardless of your ultimate decision, you should be able to write & publish on the topic of buyer's remorse. :D

Tadatsune

Bronze

Post by Tadatsune » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Yes, if you want Columbia use the awards at Chicago and Harvard to get them to offer you a free ride.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Dany wrote:With a huge amount of undergrad debt, you should absolutely take the Ruby in my opinion. UChicago can get you back to NYC biglaw easily. You wouldn't be crazy for picking Harvard with $60k though (depending on what you mean by "huge" amount).
Agreed. As much as Harvard opens doors, it would still be a slog to plow through 300k+ debt (which you might easily have after law school depending on how much undergrad debt you have and the interest on it).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:14 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Just to offer a contrarian point of view: You've narrowed your choices to Harvard & Chicago, but you love living in NYC & don't want to move. Negotiate with NYU & Columbia so you can stay where you are comfortable & thriving.

Back to reality: It's Harvard ! Chicago with a full tuition & fees scholarship ! Both offer a chance to grow in a new environment. Do you want a large law school environment or a small school with tiny debt ?

P.S. Stanford or Yale ?
didn't apply to Stanford because I'm not at all interested in living so close to home, and haven't heard a peep from Yale. Thanks for your opinions!

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your opinions! I have ~$100,000 in undergrad debt, so I'm definitely happy to have the Ruby on the table. I am just a little scared of turning down Harvard if I decide down the road that I don't want to stay in BigLaw and the Harvard name could've helped me more in another field than graduating from UChi would.

I'm definitely trying to negotiate with CLS, and thanks for your advice on things to say to them. I wrote them an email with all of my offers and tried to show that I really wanted CLS, so we will see how that goes.

Also, does anyone know if putting the Rubenstein on a resume would give any boost?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:21 pm

I would be way more scared of graduating with $260,000 of debt pre-interest than not having the slight boost H will give you in whatever non-biglaw jobs you're considering.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:21 pm

nametaken wrote:Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your opinions! I have ~$100,000 in undergrad debt, so I'm definitely happy to have the Ruby on the table. I am just a little scared of turning down Harvard if I decide down the road that I don't want to stay in BigLaw and the Harvard name could've helped me more in another field than graduating from UChi would.

I'm definitely trying to negotiate with CLS, and thanks for your advice on things to say to them. I wrote them an email with all of my offers and tried to show that I really wanted CLS, so we will see how that goes.

Also, does anyone know if putting the Rubenstein on a resume would give any boost?
You would not get much more boost employment-wise from Harvard than you would from Chicago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:22 pm

nametaken wrote:I am not exactly sure what I want to do after school.
Then don't go to law school, dummy.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:23 pm

Work and bring down the UG debt. Defer or re-apply.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Dany wrote:I would be way more scared of graduating with $260,000 of debt pre-interest than not having the slight boost H will give you in whatever non-biglaw jobs you're considering.
You are right, seeing that number written out is definitely terrifying.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 pm

aschup wrote:
This is dumb. Just because you don't know what kind of lawyer you wanna be doesn't mean you don't wanna be a lawyer. Also, I bet a good chunk of people think they know what they wanna do, but do something totally opposite in the end.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Dany wrote:I would be way more scared of graduating with $260,000 of debt pre-interest than not having the slight boost H will give you in whatever non-biglaw jobs you're considering.
Yea. After reading about your $100,000 in UG debt on top of law school, I really think you need to strongly consider taking the Ruby. As others have mentioned, your career prospects in most things law-related are going to be fairly similar from Chicago and Harvard. I agree that Harvard has a leg up in certain things, but I really don't think it's worth having over $200,000 in loans.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:26 pm

soj wrote:Work and bring down the UG debt. Defer or re-apply.
Haha, I do work - graduated in 3 years to do so. Living in NYC on starting salary = not a smarter option than going to school and starting to make real money.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:27 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
aschup wrote:
This is dumb. Just because you don't know what kind of lawyer you wanna be doesn't mean you don't wanna be a lawyer. Also, I bet a good chunk of people think they know what they wanna do, but do something totally opposite in the end.
Yeah I just meant that I find a few different career paths (in law) compelling and I'm not set on one. I've wanted to go to law school for a long time and know it's what I want.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Man, NYU UG is rough.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can defer the Rubenstein, and next year's supposed to be the last year it's given out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”