UHLC vs UMN Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Alan

Bronze

UHLC vs UMN

Post by Alan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Hello everyone. I would like some honest opinions.

I have been accepted to Houston and Minnesota. Biggest crossroad of my life!

My numbers are 2.9/167, non-AA URM. I was basically ready to pack up and move to Houston, until I was accepted last friday to UMN. Now Idk what to do.

Ranking? UMN (#19) //// UH (#57)
Cost? UH (30k +COL) //// UMN (40k +COL)
Competition? The calibar of UMN students (median 3.7/167) will be slightly higher on average than UH Students (3.4/162)

Ties? My parents live about 2 hrs from the twin cities. My residency and life are here in Texas, but not really Houston.
Geo Pref? Ridiculously hot vs ridiculously cold. It really isnt much of a factor. I want to live where I will have the best chance to have a successful legal career.

Which school is a better bet in its respective market??
Last edited by Alan on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: UHLC vs Minn

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:27 pm

The chances of it being easier to do well at Minn vs Houston is negligible and not worth considering. Ranking is also irrelevant since its whether you want to work in Houston or MN.

At this price, probably neither. Houston is going to put you close to 150k debt once you factor in CoL and interest after 3 years. Minnesota is going to put you close to 200k debt once you factor in those things. I don't think either of these schools justify that kind of cost.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:28 pm

bk187 wrote:The chances of it being easier to do well at Minn vs Houston is negligible and not worth considering. Ranking is also irrelevant since its whether you want to work in Houston or MN.

At this price, probably neither. Houston is going to put you close to 150k debt once you factor in CoL and interest after 3 years. Minnesota is going to put you close to 200k debt once you factor in those things. I don't think either of these schools justify that kind of cost.
Credited. I'd retake or don't go.

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:58 pm

bk187 wrote:The chances of it being easier to do well at Minn vs Houston is negligible and not worth considering. Ranking is also irrelevant since its whether you want to work in Houston or MN.

:(

I appriciate the honest feed back. I realize that is a ton of debt, but I want to go to both of these schools, badly. With my low GPA, Im not really in the position to expect/ask for scholarships from decent schools.

I am really interested in info regarding which school does better in their respective market, top to bottom.

minnbills

Gold

Re: UHLC vs UMN

Post by minnbills » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

disclaimer: I will probably be at UMN in the fall.

UMN dominates its market whereas UHLC would, I imagine, get competition from UT- I don't know the texas market too well.

However, the debt is a huge problem. I'm in-state and still hesitant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Alan wrote:With my low GPA, Im not really in the position to expect/ask for scholarships from decent schools.
If you retook you could be. While your GPA is killing you, the fact that you are a URM when coupled with a high LSAT can still get you money at certain schools (UMinn/UIUC/IUB/WUSTL/GW/SMU/etc). URM's that are either on LSN or that I know from last cycle:

2.6/170/Hispanic URM - 75k at UMinn/120k at UIUC (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/DreamsInDigital)
2.8/173/Hispanic URM/some WE - 105k at WUSTL/GW, sticker at NU (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/britishknights)
2.8/high170's/Hispanic URM/some WE - full rude at SMU, 15k at NU
2.7/167/several years WE/AA+MA - sticker at NU

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Wow Bk, thank you for sharing that information. That is something to seriously consider.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Alan wrote:Wow Bk, thank you for sharing that information. That is something to seriously consider.

Of course, LSN will also show one guy getting 75k at a school and another with similar or better numbers getting only 15k...so take that for what it's worth.

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Bump:
I'm also considering this choice. Slightly different scenario for me though -
U of H would be 44k (approx) total tuition - I would attend the part time program and work full time during the day. No debt from living expenses.
U MN would be 45k (approx) total tuition - I would attend a full time program (more time to study & get involved in activities) - but living expenses would be paid for through loans - another 45k (ish) - I would probably get a part time job 2nd & 3rd year. (total loans ~90k)

Any input?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 am

It sounds like we got similar scholarships at UMN. I got nothing from UH, so that made my decision for me.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:44 am

Neither is close to being worth the crushing debt you'll take on to attend. Study up and retake the LSAT for a 170+ score to either go to a better school or substantially reduce your debt.

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:06 am

Neither is close to being worth the crushing debt you'll take on to attend
For OP or for myself? (MN being ~90k in debt, Houston being ~44k)

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:42 pm

I think he is talking to me. Since i made this thread, I was awarded 3/4 tuition scholly from UMN, bringing my debt, including undergrad, to around 100k. Im going for it.

YOU ON THE OTHER HAND...

If I was you, I would go to UH. hands down. Only 40ish k debt from a law school tied for 2nd best in our great state?! take the money and dont look back.

However if you decide to go to UMN, PM me. Us Texans need to stick together ;)
Last edited by Alan on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Alan wrote:Since i made this thread, I was awarded 3/4 tuition scholly from UMN,bringing my debt including undergrad, to around 100k. Im going for it.
Congrats, and good luck! (What are the stips on that scholly, btw?)

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Thank you.

2.5, which is basically good standing/not failing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”