Cleveland State, U of Baltimore, or Howard U? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cleveland State, U of Baltimore, or Howard U?

Cleveland State
21%
Baltimore
14%
Howard
64%

Total votes: 14

dodgerblue112

New

Cleveland State, U of Baltimore, or Howard U?

Post by dodgerblue112 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:51 am

Cleveland-Marshall is cheaper (in-state tuition, though I would likely get some form of need-based aid wherever I go, and I do have some ties to both the DC and Baltimore areas), but I would assume that job prospects would be much better at an East Coast school, especially considering my career goals (either government work or lobbying).

I was accepted into the LCOP program, for those familiar with Cleveland-Marshall.

Also, I could likely live off-campus with family or friends if I go to Baltimore or Howard.

Bronck

Gold

Re: Cleveland State, U of Baltimore, or Howard U?

Post by Bronck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:54 am

What is the COA for each?

I'm guessing you have a preference for the mid-Atlantic? If you don't want to work in Cleveland, then don't go to Cleveland-Marshall.

dodgerblue112

New

Post by dodgerblue112 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:17 am

Cleveland State: $20K for tuition ($39 total)
Howard: $26K for tuition ($45K total)
Baltimore: $37K for tuition ($61K total)

If I have to, I can stay with family rather than deal with the cost of room and board (I have a large number of relatives in the Mid-Atlantic region)

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:30 am

Is this 45K a year or for 3 years?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:43 am

The chances you get need based aid are very, very slim. You have the inclination to share a story now about how poor you are or how poor your family. I trust your story is accurate. That said, you have a very, very slim chance at getting need-based aid. Schools virtually never give it out as it's expected you will take out loans to finance your education. No one has 200k sitting around, so in that sense, everyone "needs" the aid and is treated the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Case2L

Bronze

Post by Case2L » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Are you paying in-state at C-M because you live in the area, or is that part of a scholarship deal?

dodgerblue112

New

Post by dodgerblue112 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:58 pm

I live in Columbus and went to school at Case Western. Haven't received anything in terms of scholarships from Cleveland-Marshall (or the other schools) yet. I did receive scholarship funds from U of Akron, but it was only for a part-time admission, so I'm not really considering that as an option.

dodgerblue112

New

Post by dodgerblue112 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:30 pm

Also, I am a URM (Black/African-American), I'm not sure how much difference that will make

And all tuition totals are for 3 years. Are things such as Stafford loans, PLUS loans and work-study realistic options? Or does that depend on the specific school?

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:04 am

Howard, hands down.

I know of CSU law grads who are having trouble finding work in the area. And the degree doesn't travel very far. I didn't even consider applying to LS in Ohio because I knew I'd probably be stuck in the area after graduation - and not by choice. Some people choose CSU because they have a significant other/kids in the area, it's cheap and they'll eventually settle down in the area.

You don't seem to have that dilemma/desire.

Howard has (relatively) low tuition. You are able to deter most of DC's expensive CoL by living with family. Howard's OCI stats and starting salary - relative to its ranking - is a definite statistical outlier. And for your career interests, there's no better place than DC.

And if you wanted to come back to Ohio, CWRU ties will open up at least a crack in a door.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”