Choosing Between Current Options Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bigsby

New

Choosing Between Current Options

Post by Bigsby » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Hey Everyone,

Unfortunately I was waitlisted at five schools (Cornell, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, UCLA, Ann Arbor Michigan) and have been accepted to Emory, Cardozo, Fordham, GW, and Boston College.

So I was thinking, as of now, I need to assume I'm going to one of my accepted options (though I hope a waitlist pulls through...odds seem pretty low since its only about 5 really competitive schools).

My main goal is to work in the NYC area and thus Fordham would seem like the "best option." However is there any website I can go to that gives encompassing data on law school's placement at various firms, both large to mid to small sized? That seems like a tall order but I don't really know how to find such information and utilize it to the best of my ability.

So as I was saying, Fordham seems like the best option for that but I was also thinking that maybe competition for an NYC job might be easier at places like BC or GW since most people there aren't completely focused on practicing in NYC? Granted, I'm sure less firms representing positions in NYC will be at these schools however maybe my chances would be better?

I missed the Skadden reception on March 7th for BC and I kick myself for that. Does anyone have a synopsis of any interesting facts they had? I'm trying to decide between GW, BC, and Fordham and I can't make much of a decision! I'm going to all three Open Houses coming up in late March but I figure that since they're trying to sell you the school, it's not going to be much to go on. I need to find the hard facts and make an appropriate decision.

Thank you so much everyone and any insight you may have will be unbelievably helpful. Thank you!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Choosing Between Current Options

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:11 pm

Bigsby wrote:However is there any website I can go to that gives encompassing data on law school's placement at various firms, both large to mid to small sized?
lol. You must be new here.

Unfortunately, the ABA only requires a certain minimum detail from the schools in reporting employment stats. Most schools try to publish as little detail as possible, so that their grads who are working part-time at Starbucks show up the same ("employed") as someone making $160k at Skadden, and they can say that 98% of their grads are employed.

A few, mostly high-ranked, schools have voluntarily started publishing much more detailed employment data. (See: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=174447)
These schools differentiate between things like Bar required/JD preferred/No JD preferred, temporary/permanent, full-time/part-time, school-funded/private firm/government, etc. Some even break the numbers down by firm size and salary.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:53 pm

If you want to work in a generic bigfirm in NYC, I would actually go to BC. It overall better placement in large firms and gives you good access to NYC. COL is lower, and you can apply to Boston and NY firms at the same time (if you only get a Boston offer, you can lateral to NYC later). If you want any other type of legal position in NY, its Fordham all the way. Debt will be a big problem at any of these though. I would rule out GW unless you get some $.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:13 pm

If you want to work in NY, Fordham's your best ber, although the poster above makes a valid point about BC
You've got to be top third of your class to have a realistic shot at biglaw at BC, Fordham or GW (not entirely sure about GW)

I know midlaw placement from Fordham is also pretty good

Bigsby

New

Post by Bigsby » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:54 am

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. Between good scholly money, some parent money, and work money, I can finance my educaton at both bc and fordham without having to take out loans. Does this change anything? I'm edging towards bc but itsjust rly hard to make a decision outside of visiting the schools and hearing everyone sellingit (not much unbiased opinion to go on). What did you guys look at (besides rank and $) to help choose between different schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:48 am

I've spent a decent amount of time at Fordham and I like the general armosphere.
It seems a place where students are more likely to help each other out, compared to some other schools.
It's a bit more laid back, less gunnerish.
Also, having lived in NY and talked to many lawyers, Fordham has an excellent reputation in the city.

Besides, if you want NY, you really should be in NY.
This can best be quantified by the fact that a lot more NY firms show up at Fordham's OCI than at Cornell's (I think about 1/3 more)
They might not go as deep into the class, but if you're at the top, you certainly have more choices of firms to talk to.

While the school doesn't have T14 placement into biglaw (ranked about 20th for NLJ) they have solid placement into midlaw as well.
There's a sticky post at thr top of this forum listing salary data per school for recent grads and Fordham is one of the best of outside the T14 - look at the end of the green line (number of students making at least the third listed salary); Fordham stretches out the furthest, and unlike some other schools, that third salary is pretty high up there. Basically, nearly half the graduates are making scale (green line is non-ny scale).
Beyond that, Fordham places a lot of students into midlaw, which in NY still pays six figures. Unlike many other schools, there's a lot less concern about the bimodal salary distribution. (I looked it up before, but am not near a computer right now)
Basically, Fordham places very well into biglaw for a non-T14 and those who don't get biglaw are not as fucked as at other schools - even those below the median have a chance at making $100k

Besides, NY is a much better city than Boston

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:02 am

On a separate note, through the admitted student portion of the website, Fordham gives very detailed employment information, including a breakdown of firm sizes and salary information

Bigsby

New

Post by Bigsby » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Thank you so much! This has been huge in helping me decide. I'm leaning more towards Fordham as of now. We will see though!

My last question regards 'haggling' for scholarship money. Right now I'm getting more money at BC and I kinda wanna see if I can get more money at Fordham...how does one go about the 'bidding' process? I hear it happens quite frequently hear but how does one initiate that? Do you literally e-mail them saying "I'm interested in Fordham, however school X is giving me $xxxx. financial aid is extremely important to me, and I was wondering if I could request an amount comparable to that?" I know that's a terrible way of putting it but that just shows how clueless I am!

Thank you again!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Total cost of attendance at each?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bigsby

New

Post by Bigsby » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:24 pm

Tuition for each is around 60 grand each (factoring in living expenses and whatnot). I am actually quite close, with the money I am providing, my parents are providing, and the school is providing me, to go to either school and graduate debt-free which is a godsend. However I'm not quite there yet. For BC I am closer than fordham, and I wanted to haggle to see if I can squeeze a little more out of them.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:51 pm

I would try to do my best to get into one of the t14 schools you are WLed at. I would also consider retaking in the summer and applying next year.

Did you ED at any T14 schools? you might be able to get into a t14 that way.

The difference between Fordham and a t14 is pretty big. T14 will give you 2x the chance at biglaw/big gov/midlaw/clerkship placement.

Have you applied to ucla/usc/vanderbilt?
I would rather go to Vandy for NY market than Fordham because of self selection. Firms will dig deeper or as deep in vandy's class as compared to fordham. Vandy then gives you an advantage compared to fordham everywhere else in the US.

Bigsby

New

Post by Bigsby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Currently on waitlist for Vandy and UCLA and some T-14 schools, as listed in the original post.

Bigsby

New

Post by Bigsby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Any ideas on the whole bidding war scholarship aid haggling thingy?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”