Berkeley or Michigan? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Geneva

Silver

Berkeley or Michigan?

Post by Geneva » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi! Got into Michigan last week and got into Berkeley last night! So far, haven't been awarded money from either school. I'm torn bc the Mich community sounds amazing, but I love the idea of living in a warmer climate and not having letter grades. Assuming I get no money from either school and am impartial to where I find a job...which school will be the best choice and why?

Thank you! :)

DBishops

New

Re: Berkeley or Michigan?

Post by DBishops » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Berkeley, purely because their prestige is arguably the same as Michigan's and this is 3 years of your life; where would you rather live?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Wait until the money comes out. I would pick Berkeley if money was no object. However B Is more expensive that Michigan both in terms of tuition and COL. So if you're not debt averse take wherever you would be happiest. But Michigan is a great school and I would take it over B if neither school gave me any money.

DBishops

New

Post by DBishops » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Wait until the money comes out. I would pick Berkeley if money was no object. However B Is more expensive that Michigan both in terms of tuition and COL. So if you're not debt averse take wherever you would be happiest. But Michigan is a great school and I would take it over B if neither school gave me any money.
I agree. Do you happen to know how Berkeley does scholarships (trends/patterns in doing so)? Michigan seems pretty straight forward and easy to estimate what you may get...

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:27 pm

Geneva wrote:Hi! Got into Michigan last week and got into Berkeley last night! So far, haven't been awarded money from either school. I'm torn bc the Mich community sounds amazing, but I love the idea of living in a warmer climate and not having letter grades. Assuming I get no money from either school and am impartial to where I find a job...which school will be the best choice and why?

Do you want to practice in CA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Geneva wrote:Hi! Got into Michigan last week and got into Berkeley last night! So far, haven't been awarded money from either school. I'm torn bc the Mich community sounds amazing, but I love the idea of living in a warmer climate and not having letter grades. Assuming I get no money from either school and am impartial to where I find a job...which school will be the best choice and why?

I made the rounds of ASW weekends with the person who wrote this analysis and I think she did a great job:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=153905

Also, I blogged about both these schools when I was making this decision. I'll PM you the links.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:45 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:

This is TCR. Where do you want to work?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:48 pm

tmon wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:

This is TCR. Where do you want to work?
This is a tough question to answer given that I haven't visited either place. I will hopefully be able to answer it better after the ASWs. At this point, I think I would be happy to work anywhere. I've heard that the reason Berk grads stay in CA is due to self-selection rather than the inability to get jobs elsewhere, but IDK how true this is.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Go to ASW and make a decision. The schools are remarkably similar. I would say pick the one you think you would be happiest at because job prospects will be very similar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:30 am

worldtraveler wrote:Go to ASW and make a decision. The schools are remarkably similar. I would say pick the one you think you would be happiest at because job prospects will be very similar.
Thanks! I guess it will be a function of price+happiness. Realllly hope I get money from Mich, but "no scholarships awarded" shows up under money/banking as it stands.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:05 am

Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship Program: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”