Here are my options..... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

School (adjusted tuition cost per year- stip and scholarship amount)

Cincinnati (~15k/yr tuition, no stip)
15%
Temple (~15k/yr tuition, top half stip on $3750 scholly, in state)
65%
Pitt (~16k/yr tuition, 3.0 stip on $12,000 scholly, in state)
8%
Rutgers-Newark (~12k/yr tuition, 3.0 stip on 10,000 scholly)
12%

Total votes: 52

sumtimesuwonder

New

Here are my options.....

Post by sumtimesuwonder » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:51 pm

Here are my top options, I'm not tied down to a particular area, and dont really have concrete connections anywhere. I'm from Northeast PA, so I get in state at Temple and Pitt. I basically get in state at Cincy with their Graduate Metropolitan Rate, and it is extremely easy to get in state at Rutgers first year. I just want the best shot at a decent job, doesn't have to be biglaw necessarily.

I also applied at Case Western (waiting on money), Seton Hall (waiting to negotiate), Penn State (afraid of tertiary markets), UConn (same as Penn State), Villanova (more expensive than temple), and Northeastern (no $?!?!)

Im a little worried about the costs of living in Newark and Philly, and a little worried about the smaller markets in Cincy and Pittsburgh. (EDIT: Also worried about the increased competition in Philly and NJ)

Thanks for your opinions, and I know that the retakes and dont go opinions will be voiced.

(UPDATE: Seton Hall gave me 35k, which actually makes them cheaper than Rutgers, but with the top 50% stip)
Last edited by sumtimesuwonder on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

srfngdd6

Bronze

Re: Here are my options.....

Post by srfngdd6 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:53 pm

temple and its not even close

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 pm

If anyone selects anything other than Temple you are being sabotaged.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 am

None are great options, but this is Temple easily based on these four. Spending a lot of money to go to a regional school in a market you have no ties to is just stupid.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:59 am

romothesavior wrote:None are great options, but this is Temple easily based on these four. Spending a lot of money to go to a regional school in a market you have no ties to is just stupid.
Credited.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:17 am

Temple Temple Temple.

sumtimesuwonder

New

Post by sumtimesuwonder » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Wow im kinda surprised by the Temple overwhelming victory so far. Even with the competition from like 4-5 schools in Philly (depending on if you count Penn State) vs. the relative market domination of Pitt and the only competition being Ohio State for Cincy?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:10 pm

srfngdd6 wrote:temple and its not even close

genius5432

New

Post by genius5432 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat - deciding between Temple, Penn State, and Pitt (cost about the same with scholarships and I'm in-state) and i'm still waiting on scholarship info from Case Western. I have really been impressed with Pitt's overall communication. I have gotten calls from the Law Review president and a student, I have gotten emails from various organizations on campus and invitations to events in Philadelphia (which is where I live currently). I certainly would not argue that Temple is the clear choice, especially with Pitt being the far-and-away dominant school for hundreds of miles in all directions. Temple, on the other hand, has to compete with a plethora of schools in Philly and the ultra-saturated I-95 corridor.

I'm not necessarily advocating in favor of Pitt over Temple, but I definitely don't believe it to be so straight forward. I am going to wait to make a final judgement after the Open Houses at all the campuses in March.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Temple, hands down. Besides UPenn, they run this town.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:57 pm

genius5432 wrote:I'm kind of in the same boat - deciding between Temple, Penn State, and Pitt (cost about the same with scholarships and I'm in-state) and i'm still waiting on scholarship info from Case Western. I have really been impressed with Pitt's overall communication. I have gotten calls from the Law Review president and a student, I have gotten emails from various organizations on campus and invitations to events in Philadelphia (which is where I live currently). I certainly would not argue that Temple is the clear choice, especially with Pitt being the far-and-away dominant school for hundreds of miles in all directions. Temple, on the other hand, has to compete with a plethora of schools in Philly and the ultra-saturated I-95 corridor.

I'm not necessarily advocating in favor of Pitt over Temple, but I definitely don't believe it to be so straight forward. I am going to wait to make a final judgement after the Open Houses at all the campuses in March.
You realize all of these schools are very regional. Where do you want to work? Temple places in Philly, PSU in central PA, and Pitt in Pittsburgh. There is little cross-over. (I'm from PA and have tons of family in the legal community...know what I'm talking about here.)

sumtimesuwonder

New

Post by sumtimesuwonder » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Would the fact that I live in northeast pennsylvania really qualify as "ties" for Temple and Pitt? I mean I'm a solid three hours north of Philly, and six hours east of Pittsburgh. I'm actually closer to Newark than all of them.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:14 pm

first choice= retake dont go.
2nd choice= retake dont go.
3rd choice= retake don't go
99th choice= temple
100th choice= upitt

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”