Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Diamond

Re: Hofstra 30k, NYLS 25k, CUNY & Fordham PT Sticker

Post by bk1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 pm

@OP: You should pm OperaSoprano and nygrrrl about Fordham. I think OperaSoprano went there and is PI focused and nygrrrl is in the PT program there.
Last edited by bk1 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 pm

bk187 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:I'm pretty positive for most PI work, prestige does not matter at all.
I don't think this is right, but it's not something I know too much about.
Then why say it?
Because it doesn't comport with what PI-focused TLS'ers have said.
I also cosign this. Your school always matters. For public interest work, other things matter, too, but don't mistake that for your school being irrelevant. It's a factor that helps get your resume pulled from the pile, and you need every bit of help you can get these days.

Anyway, I think I've made my opinions clear on this so I'll bow out.

JennaX007

New

Post by JennaX007 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:33 pm

thanks everyone. Does anyone have any input about getting scholarships after 1L based on performance? Does this happen?
How difficult would it be to transfer from pt to ft program? The plan is to attend ls and minimize debt.

@dixie thanks & that's very true, basically the owner of the co. promised me a job if and when I change my mind, be it 2 - 3 years down the road. according to him w/ jd or not. I have been with this firm for years and have made up more than enough premium to justify all the raises & bonuses etc.
@bk187 that's a great idea I'll do that

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Ah, sorry when OP mentioned Public Interest I assumed she meant the kinda that is focused on helping the public. there are some elite PI places where prestige does matter, ie Brennan Center where they almost only hire T10 students.

In fact, she was talking about a the kind of job where you make your pay check by putting brown people in jail for drug crimes. The DA does not care about prestige as much.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:36 pm

JennaX007 wrote:thanks everyone. Does anyone have any input about getting scholarships after 1L based on performance? Does this happen?
How difficult would it be to transfer from pt to ft program? The plan is to attend ls and minimize debt.

@dixie thanks & that's very true, basically the owner of the co. promised me a job if and when I change my mind, be it 2 - 3 years down the road. according to him w/ jd or not. I have been with this firm for years and have made up more than enough premium to justify all the raises & bonuses etc.
@bk187 that's a great idea I'll do that
I mentioned above about 10K from Hofstra top 10 students. Also, the stip on the scholarship at Hofstra is only top 40%, which basically requires only that you are not brain dead.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:37 pm

I'd put aside what you want to do etc. That can always change, you never know what your life or the employment world will look like in the future. The practical thing to do here, if you must go to LS, is go to Fordham for 4 years and keep your job.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:29 pm

I just don't see how Fordham PT at sticker for 4 years is better than Hofstra at or near full scholarship for 3 years is better for public interest. For biglaw, maybe. But given that none of these schools carries must prestige, OP should just take the biggest scholarship.

Full scholarship (if top 10% after 1L) at Hofstra + living expenses coverd = no debt, vs. 4 years of Fordham PT has got to be around $150k. Even considering that OP could make money by continuing to work, its obvious that she won't be able to do as well either at work or at school. thats just the nature of PT programs - I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's more grueling despite its label, it lasts longer, and costs more money.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Vronsky wrote:Full scholarship (if top 10% after 1L) at Hofstra + living expenses coverd = no debt
Only a 10% chance of this happening.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:56 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Vronsky wrote:Full scholarship (if top 10% after 1L) at Hofstra + living expenses coverd = no debt
Only a 10% chance of this happening.
That's clearly not true - you are seriously overestimating the caliber of the student body there. OP is obviously a pretty good test taker if she can get into Fordham, and can get a 3/4 scholly at Hofstra. I would say her floor would be top 25%. The other students are in the mid-to low 150s, with a couple 140s among URMs; OP OTOH must be in the 160s given the Fordham acceptance. LSAT doesn't always predict performance - but there's some self-selection here. Not many students there are on TLS or committed to re-taking to maximize LSAT as OP has indicated. The fact that she's into several law schools with scholarship and reading TLS puts her easily in the top half of the class.

I went there as a 1L and used to sit around with my friends trying to name the people in our section who had a legit shot at getting an A for any particular course, and it was hard to count off ten fingers. It's just not very competitive. Half the students don't show up to class or read the cases (they aren't ninja gunners either). Most of class room instruction consists of trying to explain "WHAT IS THE LAW" - e.g. "adverse possession has 5 requirements... what are they? Oh, here's a power point presentation with them listed."

In any case, total debt without top 10% would only be something like 12k x 3 = $36,000. Of course its also possible the school would bump up her 30k to 35k with a little negotiation.

Point being Fordham isn't so much better that its worth sticker.

ETA - there's a 100% chance of massive debt and 4 years of PT drudgery at Fordham.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

notstevedoocy

New

Post by notstevedoocy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Oh, Fordham no question. Do well. Switch to the day program. New York is the most saturated legal market in the country and your competition is not just local, it's nationwide. Fordham's name is the only one that will carry weight there. Also, Hofstra very much embellished their employment statistics last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”