Columbia/NYU vs. UT/Vandy/USC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FishOil

New

Columbia/NYU vs. UT/Vandy/USC

Post by FishOil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:02 pm

I was going to hold off on asking for advice until I had all the decisions back, but am getting kind of nervous/anxious...

I have been accepted to the above schools and the only one that has offered any kind of assistance is UT (lowered tuition to resident status + $15000 a year). I pretty much blanketed the T14 (minus GT and Cornell) and have been WL/rejected/ or haven't heard back (Mich, Virg., UChi).

I grew up in CA. I eventually want to make it back out here when I settle down, but don't mind having a career elsewhere. Career goals are BigLaw or Clerkship.

I am not particularly risk/debt averse, but paying sticker + COL in NY is daunting. Likewise, the (~93k) scholarship at UT still puts me in the 6 figure debt range for a large drop (T6 to outside T14). Assuming I do not get in to MV or Chi, what are my options.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: Columbia/NYU vs. UT/Vandy/USC

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Gotta wait until you get your scholly info from Columbia and NYU.

Even then, Columbia/NYU gets you pretty close to biglaw secure, plus access to clerkships and academia if you do really well.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:06 pm

I'd take CLS here.

If NYU ends up giving a good chunk more than CLS, then I'd take NYU.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Since you want biglaw/clerkship, aren't too particular about location, and aren't that debt averse, I think hands down T14 trumps those right below it (UT/Vandy/USC/UCLA).

IMO, it will come down to comparing $ at the various T14's you get accepted to so at this point, without scholly info, this thread is premature.

FishOil

New

Post by FishOil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Okay, thanks guys. I will come back when everything is finalized.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Did you apply for any of the NYU public interest scholarships ?

Do you want to live & work in NYC ? Texas ? Nashville/The South ?

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Gotta wait until you get your scholly info from Columbia and NYU.

Even then, Columbia/NYU gets you pretty close to biglaw secure, plus access to clerkships and academia if you do really well.
Lol wut? Have you seen the new NLJ numbers? I definitely would not say NYU makes you "big law secure."

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Gotta wait until you get your scholly info from Columbia and NYU.

Lol wut? Have you seen the new NLJ numbers? I definitely would not say NYU makes you "big law secure."
Have you seen the year those were from?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Real Madrid wrote:

Lol. Didn't know that OCI 2009 numbers were relevant to OCI 2013.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:39 pm

Bronck wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:

Lol. Didn't know that OCI 2009 numbers were relevant to OCI 2013.
I would say that NYU's mean NLJ placement over the past 3 years (10th among T14s) would be more relevant than random, unsubstantiated anecdotes from NYU student posters. But if that's what you want to go by, knock yourself out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”