Top 30 v. In State top 60 V. top 100 Scholarship Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Top 30 v. In State top 60 V. top 100 Scholarship

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Ok Guys: Im waiting on a few schools but I have a top 3 in mind right now:

1. Washington and Lee: This is sticker price,

2. UT Knoxville: In State Tuition

3. SLU: 60,000 total scholarship.

Now AGAIN im still waiting on Bama, UNC, Denver, and SMU

But with the three in mind I see each of them having LOTS of Pros and A few cons.

My Thinking is that W&L would get me a job almost anywhere but debt in the 200 K area

UTK gets me a HOPEFUL job in knoxville or Chattanooga, and much less debt, but i know many Law School grads from UTK w/o a real job

SLU gives me a huge market and the best ability to PROBABLY grad in the top of my class giving me a great chance at large firms with less debt.

Please give me your opinions and thoughts

P.S: Still looking for Schoalrship Information from S. Carolina as well, giving me another top 100 and the only law school in the state.

stillwater

Gold

Re: Top 30 v. In State top 60 V. top 100 Scholarship

Post by stillwater » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:Ok Guys: Im waiting on a few schools but I have a top 3 in mind right now:

But with the three in mind I see each of them having LOTS of Pros and A few cons.

My Thinking is that W&L would get me a job almost anywhere but debt in the 200 K area

UTK gets me a HOPEFUL job in knoxville or Chattanooga, and much less debt, but i know many Law School grads from UTK w/o a real job

SLU gives me a huge market and the best ability to PROBABLY grad in the top of my class giving me a great chance at large firms with less debt.

P.S: Still looking for Schoalrship Information from S. Carolina as well, giving me another top 100 and the only law school in the state.
W&L is a regional school. It is good for getting a job in Virginia, with slim chances anywhere else. So by choosing W&L you are in effect choosing Virginia. Additionally, I do not think the job prospects at W&L make it worth paying sticker.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:Ok Guys: Im waiting on a few schools but I have a top 3 in mind right now:

Which is?? St. Louis is a tiny market!

mmk33

Bronze

Post by mmk33 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:25 pm

From these options I would pick 2 (UT-K), and plan to work very hard to get to the top third of class, network, and look for a job in Tennessee.

going to W&L at sticker price is the worst option.

srfngdd6

Bronze

Post by srfngdd6 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:27 pm

This is just all wrong... W&L will get you a job in Virginia maybe...pretty much right about UTK and SLU well Saint Louis is not a huge market by any definition of the word its on par with other similar sized midwestern cities

with these choices W&L is instantly out at sticker...Tenn in state and SLU with 60k are not as terrible a decision but are probably both still bad especially if you want to work biglaw at these schools you can pretty much eliminate it from consideration

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 pm

The SLU scholly just has a good standing stip, correct?

I know a lot of people come to SLU from all over the place, but employers around here are really biased towards locals. Of course if you make the grades you can do ok, but I think without some ties it could be pretty difficult. I can't see it being worth leaving Tennessee for if you already get in-state tuition and have connections to the area.

RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 pm

Well I consider ST. Louis a big place and 2.3 millions a lot of folks. Having received W&L info they seem to place in va Dc and Ny so that's a nice region. I'm not sure about BIG LAW but that.I believe can be worked toward....

I just wonder if UTK the Knoxville are has a large area for law grass seeing that Nashville has Handy and Memphis has their kids too.

I appreciate your input everybody.

For three years of time and money im guessing the best option would be to choose which makes me comfortable

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:19 pm

UTK.

1) W&L is worth nowhere near sticker
2) St. Louis is very parochial, and it's not good being an insider. Also, don't assume it's easier to achieve a better class standing. Law school often does not work like this.
3) You are from TN

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm

rad lulz wrote:UTK.

1) W&L is worth nowhere near sticker
2) St. Louis is very parochial, and it's not good being an insideroutsider. Also, don't assume it's easier to achieve a better class standing. Law school often does not work like this.
3) You are from TN
Cosigned, with the above edit. The only school that makes any sense at all is UTK.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”