Am I reading this correctly? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IAFG

Platinum

Re: Am I reading this correctly?

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:34 pm

benburns214 wrote:
romothesavior wrote: Huge +1. I certainly would never claim to be smarter than a judge or practicing attorney. But as far as understanding the current job market, I don't think a judge or practicing attorney who isn't involved in hiring could hold a candle to most TLS regulars.

I disagree with your last sentence... this place is like wikipedia

Your right, they probably arent as informed as they COULD BE. But i'd still trust their judgment over anyone on this thread.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha... ha. I work for a judge right now. They would recommend going to a TTT and to start looking for a job right after you pass the bar. Totally, woefully out of touch.

Edit: and a big firm partner told my BF to stop obsessing for 2L OCI, since 3L OCI is what really matters. LOL.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:35 pm

benburns214 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Your timeline is horribly wrong. 5 years ago was the absolute boom of legal hiring. The class of 2009 got hit with some no-offers and deferrals. Then the classes who really suffered the worst have been 2010, 2011, and 2012. There is little reason to believe things are improving. Hiring is a small bit better, but has been mostly stagnant.
romo... i'm sure you're a smart guy. So please... PLEASE dont try to tell me that the legal market ISNT improving. It's pretty much an undisputed fact. Dont get me wrong, its still not great. But without question better than in the past.
Okay, but how much better? This does not seem promising:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/community/lex ... ssion.aspx

http://www.bcgsearch.com/article/61472/ ... Selective/

http://www.lexisnexis.com/community/lex ... iring.aspx

The takeaway - stagnation is probably the new norm

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
romothesavior wrote: Huge +1. I certainly would never claim to be smarter than a judge or practicing attorney. But as far as understanding the current job market, I don't think a judge or practicing attorney who isn't involved in hiring could hold a candle to most TLS regulars.

I disagree with your last sentence... this place is like wikipedia

Your right, they probably arent as informed as they COULD BE. But i'd still trust their judgment over anyone on this thread.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha... ha. I work for a judge right now. They would recommend going to a TTT and to start looking for a job right after you pass the bar. Totally, woefully out of touch.
Damn... your right that is a very out of touch individual. That is nowhere near what i've been told, however.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:38 pm

benburns214 wrote:
IAFG wrote: Hahahahahahahahahahaha... ha. I work for a judge right now. They would recommend going to a TTT and to start looking for a job right after you pass the bar. Totally, woefully out of touch.
Damn... your right that is a very out of touch individual. That is nowhere near what i've been told, however.
So why the fuck do you think that YOUR judgment about what YOUR judge understands and fails to understand is superior?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:40 pm

IAFG wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
IAFG wrote: Hahahahahahahahahahaha... ha. I work for a judge right now. They would recommend going to a TTT and to start looking for a job right after you pass the bar. Totally, woefully out of touch.
So why the fuck do you think that YOUR judgment about what YOUR judge understands and fails to understand is superior?
Lets dial it back a notch... to be clear, its not just one judge iv been talking too, and not just judges. I am not advocating that "my" judge is more informed than others, just pointing out the obvious difference in oppinions that the two judges we know have.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:42 pm

benburns214 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
Lets dial it back a notch... to be clear, its not just one judge iv been talking too, and not just judges. I am not advocating that "my" judge is more informed than others, just pointing out the obvious difference in oppinions that the two judges we know have.
It's not a difference of opinion. My judge is out of touch. I'm not. I've been through 3 OCIs, either from the sidelines as an SO or as a law student myself. Judges are pretty much the least qualified people in the field to talk about firm hiring.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:45 pm

I get that, and your probably right. Again, I dont get my information strictly from the one judge I intern for, but that doesnt matter I suppose.

The people I have spoken with seem to be fairly in touch with what is happening... Not a single one of them advocated what your judge did. Thats all I was saying.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Your timeline is horribly wrong. 5 years ago was the absolute boom of legal hiring. The class of 2009 got hit with some no-offers and deferrals. Then the classes who really suffered the worst have been 2010, 2011, and 2012. There is little reason to believe things are improving. Hiring is a small bit better, but has been mostly stagnant.
romo... i'm sure you're a smart guy. So please... PLEASE dont try to tell me that the legal market ISNT improving. It's pretty much an undisputed fact. Dont get me wrong, its still not great. But without question better than in the past.
Okay, but how much better? This does not seem promising:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/community/lex ... ssion.aspx
+1.
http://www.bcgsearch.com/article/61472/ ... Selective/

http://www.lexisnexis.com/community/lex ... iring.aspx

The takeaway - stagnation is probably the new norm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 pm

This thread has become really stupid and useless. I hope it's locked.

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Guchster wrote:This thread has become really stupid and useless. I hope it's locked.
Im gonna have to +1 that

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm

benburns214 wrote:
Guchster wrote:This thread has become really stupid and useless. I hope it's locked.
Im gonna have to +1 that
RUKIDDINGME

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Are you blaming my thread for the posts within?! Don't hold it against my poor thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”