Cornell v Pitt$$$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johansantana21

Silver

Re: Cornell v Pitt$$$$

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Come back when you get into Cornell.
I've already been accepted to Cornell??
Whoops my bad. Is there nowhere in between you can go? Are these really the only two choices?
Its cool I mean Vandy, W & L, W & M, OSU, Vandy is the only other school with national reach. I'm not sure whether they will be offering money. The other school's are just better regional schools so in my opinion whats the point of going to school in a region I don't really want to be in and still have debt. The best I've done from the other schools is a half scholarship with stips. Thats the reason my decision has really come down to these two schools.
Do not go to festering shithole Vandy without $. They are even worse than festering shithole Cornell.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
Whoops my bad. Is there nowhere in between you can go? Are these really the only two choices?
Its cool I mean Vandy, W & L, W & M, OSU, Vandy is the only other school with national reach. I'm not sure whether they will be offering money. The other school's are just better regional schools so in my opinion whats the point of going to school in a region I don't really want to be in and still have debt. The best I've done from the other schools is a half scholarship with stips. Thats the reason my decision has really come down to these two schools.

You should ask vandy and cornell to give you scholarship. Just ask them nicely. Tell vandy you have pit full scholarship. If they give you some money. Go to cornell and ask for some money and tell them vandy gave you a scholarship.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
I'd wait to see if Vanderbilt throws you $. They're normally pretty generous.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:37 pm

Pitt generally doesn't give full rides. Did you actually get more than the traditional $14k-per-year ceiling, or are some kind folks helping out with the rest?

Either way, because you want biglaw, I say Cornell (or Vandy if they throw you $). Cornell + ties will be fine for Pittsburgh. Plus, you have the NYC market to fall back on. Just make sure you work in the Burgh your 1L summer.

And to the retard who said "biglaw and midlaw don't exist in Pittsburgh," you're talking out of your ass. Reed Smith and K&L Gates are v100s, and Buchanan Ingersoll and Eckert Seamans are NLJ250s. There are also several respectable midlaws (eg, Cohen Grigsby) that pay close to market. The caveat, however, is that Pittsburgh is still a smaller secondary market, and hiring isn't going so swimmingly at the moment.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:33 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Pitt generally doesn't give full rides. Did you actually get more than the traditional $14k-per-year ceiling, or are some kind folks helping out with the rest?

Either way, because you want biglaw, I say Cornell (or Vandy if they throw you $). Cornell + ties will be fine for Pittsburgh. Plus, you have the NYC market to fall back on. Just make sure you work in the Burgh your 1L summer.

And to the retard who said "biglaw and midlaw don't exist in Pittsburgh," you're talking out of your ass. Reed Smith and K&L Gates are v100s, and Buchanan Ingersoll and Eckert Seamans are NLJ250s. There are also several respectable midlaws (eg, Cohen Grigsby) that pay close to market. The caveat, however, is that Pittsburgh is still a smaller secondary market, and hiring isn't going so swimmingly at the moment.
Yes I did actually get a full ride.. I believe I'm the only full ride they gave or close to it. I got the Leroy scholarship which is only given to one African-American a year. But yeah I guess your right I actually could have a paying legal job this year at a major insurance company in their legal department and have ties in pittsburgh. I guess it would make sense to go to Cornell and hope I can get back home. I guess I was clinging on to the small hope that I could manage it without any debt, or even getting a mid law job without debt is more appealing to big law with debt for me. I really appreciate everyone who responded to this thread however seeing as I am not the most active TLS member and mostly lurk for other people opinions and perspectives.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Pitt generally doesn't give full rides. Did you actually get more than the traditional $14k-per-year ceiling, or are some kind folks helping out with the rest?

Yes I did actually get a full ride.. I believe I'm the only full ride they gave or close to it. I got the Leroy scholarship which is only given to one African-American a year. But yeah I guess your right I actually could have a paying legal job this year at a major insurance company in their legal department and have ties in pittsburgh. I guess it would make sense to go to Cornell and hope I can get back home. I guess I was clinging on to the small hope that I could manage it without any debt, or even getting a mid law job without debt is more appealing to big law with debt for me. I really appreciate everyone who responded to this thread however seeing as I am not the most active TLS member and mostly lurk for other people opinions and perspectives.
You are URM? What are you stats?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

3.4(3.5) 158

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Congrats man edit:(or woman lol) a great situation to be in.

I'd probably say Cornell. It's a risk but according to some pitt grads / Pittsburgh lawyers I talked to big Pittsburgh law firms are currently hiring more t-14 than Pitt. I don't have evidence to back this up other than conversations I've had. I'd imagine having a Cornell jd with Pittsburgh ties would put you in a great position to come back home.
Last edited by ThreeRivers on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

3.4(3.5) 158
This probably isn't what you want to hear but if there's any way you can retake and crack the mid-160's (not that difficult IMO) you could have a shot at a good scholly from Cornell.

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

If you don't want to retake I would still take Cornell at sticker over Pitt

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”