University of Maryland v American University (PT) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

University of Maryland v American University (PT)

American University (WCL) - Part-Time
39%
University of Maryland - Part-Time
61%

Total votes: 18

z0rk

Bronze

University of Maryland v American University (PT)

Post by z0rk » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:04 pm

I am seeking some honest input regarding the choice of American University v the University of Maryland part-time programs. Below are some quick facts I urge readers to consider before offering feedback (NOTE, not all are factors to consider regarding the merits of the school. Some address economic considerations):

1.) I am currently admitted to AU and waitlisted at UMD.
2.) I reside near Baltimore, although I am a transplant from OOS and I am not sure if UMD would grant me in-state tuition on the basis of 2 years of living here. I submitted an in-state form to UMD, but I imagine I must wait for a final decision before learning whether or not I will be granted in-state tuition rates.
3.) I work for a law firm in Maryland near Baltimore City with a bunch of UMD law graduates. They seem invested in me and would be happy for me to continue working as a paralegal throughout my four years of school if I go to UMD. No guarantee of a job, but it is practical experience while attending school. I do worry about employer expectations, school MUST come first.
4.) My rent in Maryland is 500, my rent in DC would be 600 (my best friend lives in a rent controlled 2 bedroom in Van Ness, he will need a new roommate just as school starts)
5.) I don't own a car presently, although I am aggressively saving for one. In DC I would commute by public transportation. I come from NYC and sadly got my license very late in life, I also have one minor accident on my record. These two factors combined made my insurance unbearable ($3500 per year). Maryland is a high risk insurance state too. Selling my car has saved me some money, but I cannot feasibly get to/from home, work, and school without a vehicle.
6.) I would pay sticker at both schools, but working full time would allow me to save and make payments towards my principal balance while learning. My hope is to come out with at least 25% (a full years tuition) paid off and no debt borrowed to cover COL (why should I pay interest on rent and groceries when I don't have to?)
Last edited by z0rk on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

pugilistjd

Bronze

Re: University of Maryland v American University (PT)

Post by pugilistjd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:00 pm

UMD or don't go!

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 am

pugilistjd wrote:UMD or don't go!
Thanks, can you offer a little more justification why you choose UMD?

pugilistjd

Bronze

Post by pugilistjd » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 am

z0rk wrote:Thanks, can you offer a little more justification why you choose UMD?
Hey, sorry, that was just the standard TLS response, but you're right, that wasn't very helpful. Paying sticker at AU doesn't make sense because you would be going into debt at a school that doesn't place well into your desired market. In fact, AU doesn't place well in most markets, unless you are at the top of your class. One could say the same thing about UMD, but you seem to have some strong ties to Baltimore which may counter UMD's job prospects plus getting in-state would also help. Would the firm look at you differently if you went to AU instead of UMD, considering many of them are UMD grads? I'm guessing yeah but maybe I'm wrong. The only thing AU seems to have going in its favor is DC's public transit, and which is hilarious considering that metro is permanently under-construction on multiple lines but I guess its better than Bmore. Also, AU-WCL campus isn't metro accessible, so you'd be riding the bus in both Bmore and DC which is sucks no matter what city you're in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”