UC Davis vs. Pacific McGeorge (LLM) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fl0

New

UC Davis vs. Pacific McGeorge (LLM)

Post by fl0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:13 pm

First of all I have to say that I'm in the LLM program, the one for foreigners. (General US law and policies)

So I applied to both universities, and I got admitted in McGeorge about a month ago. I was pretty happy because I didn't know if my grades and SOP were good enough. (My grades are not amazing, just average). I applied to Davis as a long shot, and I knew there was no way I was going to be accepted, but surprisingly I just got the acceptance email!

Now I dont know what to do; I know Davis is better in every way (bar passing rates, job prospection..) but I'm afraid of not being able to complete the program and screw everything..

My question is .. how much harder is Davis compared to McGeorge?

any kind of info is appreciated :roll:

Diamond

Re: UC Davis vs. Pacific McGeorge (LLM)

Post by 20160810 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:39 pm

I would bet they're of equivalent difficulty, so go to Davis, but the bigger question is what are you thinking an LLM from Davis is going to accomplish for you? Do you have the English language skills to succeed in law school classes?

fl0

New

Post by fl0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Well I hope so; my TOEFL score (the english test you have to take before applying) was pretty high and Im also going to take all of the pre-courses (legal english and pre US law).

Im planning to take the CA bar exam; It would be a huge boost on my Spanish resume and it will secure me a place in the Spanish biglaw. Also I know it might be hard, but being hired in the US could be an option. I also hope my native Spanish helps somehow.

But I know this forum is not "LLM friendly" and I understand the reasons, so I appreciate your answer

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Your chances of passing the CA bar exam are very, very small.

fl0

New

Post by fl0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Danteshek wrote:Your chances of passing the CA bar exam are very, very small.
Even if I do well on my exams and get good grades? I would take the basic 1L JD classes and they have a quite high bar-passing rate.
I know is going to be hard and challenging, but it is what i really want to do..
Thanks anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 pm

fl0 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Your chances of passing the CA bar exam are very, very small.
Even if I do well on my exams and get good grades? I would take the basic 1L JD classes and they have a quite high bar-passing rate.
I know is going to be hard and challenging, but it is what i really want to do..
Thanks anyway
Davis's Bar passage rate isn't relevant to LLMs. Even if you totally master all of the 1L courses (which I doubt you will, at least grade-wise, because of the aforementioned language issues), you would still need to take corporations, marital property, evidence, criminal procedure, trust wills and estates, conlaw 2, remedies, and professional responsibility before you'd be ready to take the Bar. Every now and again, law students wing a couple of these and count on Barbri to get them through, but winging all of them is pretty much impossible, especially for someone whose English isn't 100%.

By all means get the LLM, but you shouldn't bother attempting the Bar unless your grades are superb in all of the 1L classes.

fl0

New

Post by fl0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Ok, now I see your point. Thanks

tigger22

New

Post by tigger22 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 pm

This is no brainer decision. Go to Davis.
If you flunk out at Davis, you will flunk out at McGeorge, and If you could ace at McGeorge, you could ace at Davis. IMHO.

In terms of California bar passing rate:
It maybe harder than any other state's Bar, but the applicant pool is also poor.
There are too many law schools in California, and non-ABA proved California bar law schools also pump out the poorly prepared bar taker.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”