Does it matter where you go to law school for Patent Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PatentMoney

New

Does it matter where you go to law school for Patent Law?

Post by PatentMoney » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 pm

does it matter where you go to law school for patent law?
Also if I go to an HBCU will that affect me from getting into top law schools?
I plan to double major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
Also how do law schools look at the engineering and science applicants? Do they get accepted with a lower gpa?
Any other if you can give would be appreciated.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Does it matter where you go to law school for Patent Law?

Post by bk1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:01 pm

PatentMoney wrote:1. Does it matter where you go to Law School for patent law?
2. Also if I go to an HBCU will that affect me from getting into top law schools?
3. I plan to double major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
4. Also how do law schools look at the engineering and science applicants? Do they get accepted with a lower gpa?
5. Any other if you can give would be appreciated.
1. Yes, but it is not specific to patent law. The better the law school generally the better off you will be. This means that you shouldn't look at the specialty rankings from USNWR because they are meaningless.

2. No.

3. Okay, but realize that GPA is very important for law school. The higher GPA you can get the better off you will be.

4. They don't accept them with lower GPAs. I'd rather have a 3.8 in Underwater Basket Weaving than a 3.75 in EE (though obviously the former isn't patent bar eligible).

5. You sound like you are just starting college (based on your "plan to double major"). At this point you have no need to focus on law school. Just enjoy college and do well there. You might not even end up going to law school so no need to jump the gun.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatentMoney

New

Post by PatentMoney » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:39 pm

bee wrote:
PatentMoney wrote:Does it matter where you go to Law School for patent law?

Also how do law schools look at the engineering and science applicants? Do they get accepted with a lower gpa?
Wait, are you asking about undergrad or law school? There are some serious mixed messages here.

General TLS wisdom: engineering/science gpas do not get much leeway, if at ALL. You still need a good one to get into top law schools.
Basically asking how does law school look at a EE/CS double major from a HBCU, when trying to get accepted.

anom217

New

Post by anom217 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:33 pm

PatentMoney wrote:
bee wrote:
PatentMoney wrote:Does it matter where you go to Law School for patent law?

Wait, are you asking about undergrad or law school? There are some serious mixed messages here.

General TLS wisdom: engineering/science gpas do not get much leeway, if at ALL. You still need a good one to get into top law schools.
Basically asking how does law school look at a EE/CS double major from a HBCU, when trying to get accepted.
The major doesn't matter because it's not included in rankings. Better chance of getting in taking an easy major like communications and getting a 3.9 than sweating out a tough technically-focused double major and getting a 3.8. (although the logic/math skills you learn in engineering would likely help your LSAT score).

If you want to do patent law, you'd need a technical degree, of course. But that doesn't matter for getting into law school itself.

pugilistjd

Bronze

Post by pugilistjd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Do you plan on establishing a successful career in tech before law school? If the answer is yes and you do turn out to be successful, then it doesn't matter as much where you go to law school because you are essentially supplementing your already rosy job prospects. If the answer is no, then it does matter and you will be lowering your chances of getting into a good school by murdering your GPA with a double major that will be treated as equivalent to polisci by admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”