Indiana- Bloomington vs William and Mary Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jcruz1

New

Indiana- Bloomington vs William and Mary

Post by jcruz1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:04 am

I'm having trouble deciding about what to do. I'm from Seattle, and my family will remain here if I go, so the distance matters. I got $4k a year from W&M, and $10k a year from IU, so the scholarships are similar. I'm interested in anything civil/human rights related. Any thoughts?

ColtsFan88

Silver

Re: Indiana- Bloomington vs William and Mary

Post by ColtsFan88 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 am

Do not go unless you want to move your family to either Indianapolis or Virginia after graduation.

allamerican73

New

Post by allamerican73 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:37 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:Do not go unless you want to move your family to either Indianapolis or Virginia after graduation.
Totally agree with this advice. In this market, law schools outside of T-14 (whether ranked 30 or 130) are regional in nature, that is, you should go to law school in the general area where you want to practice.

If you want to practice in Seattle, attend a law school in the Pacific Northwest.

Good luck.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:46 pm

As the above poster stated, you will have difficulty getting back to Washington from either school.

Also, neither institution is the best law school in their respective states, and that fact should be considered as well.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:Do not go unless you want to move your family to either Indianapolis or Virginia after graduation.
+1

Where is UW in this conversation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jcruz1

New

Post by jcruz1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:
+1

UW waitlisted me. It seems that Seattle U is the only way I'd stay in town. Not sure where I'd like to practice afterwards, so this is all helpful.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 pm

jcruz1 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
+1

UW waitlisted me. It seems that Seattle U is the only way I'd stay in town. Not sure where I'd like to practice afterwards, so this is all helpful.
LOCI to UW, or retake and get another point or two and go to UW. Relocating to go to a school like IUB and W&M are a bad idea. Those markets are tough without ties.

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:54 pm

If I had to choose, I would go with W&M. Both are tough without ties, but W&M seems to do better in DC and other big city markets, whereas IU simply doesn't seem to have the reach. Access to a big city firm may also enable you to more easily make a lateral move after a few years.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:
jcruz1 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
+1

LOCI to UW, or retake and get another point or two and go to UW. Relocating to go to a school like IUB and W&M are a bad idea. Those markets are tough without ties.
Agreed, and adding that the job prospects coming out of Seattle U are such that you shouldn't even consider going.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 pm

jrthor10 wrote:If I had to choose, I would go with W&M. Both are tough without ties, but W&M seems to do better in DC and other big city markets, whereas IU simply doesn't seem to have the reach. Access to a big city firm may also enable you to more easily make a lateral move after a few years.
OP is looking at practically sticker from W&M, and has no ties to the area. This is an objectively terrible decision.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:44 am

UW gets a lot of love on these boards. Is it really that strong across the region? In this situation between those two choices, I'd take William and Mary, because its tuition is less. With these choices, that's what I'd do (the retake idea is logical, but that's your personal deal). If you are leaving for a regional school, I'd also pick the region you like. Visit and research the midwest and south. They're pretty different lifestyles.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:49 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:50 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”