Sending in seat deposit now hurt chances at negotiating $$?
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 pm
Hi folks,
I'm in at a school that doesn't dole out any scholarship info until fafsa, need application, and parental and student tax info are all sent in. I should have that completed and sent in soon. I'd really like to send in my seat deposit, as I'm ~99% sure I'll be attending in the fall. However, I also want to try and negotiate some scholly $$, especially since I was offered a decent amount by a not-so-far below school. If I send in my seat deposit before they start divvying out scholarship $, would that negatively affect my chances at getting some? Granted, a seat deposit isn't a binding commitment so you could always back out and send in a deposit elsewhere, but I can't help imagining that if a school sees a student already submitted a seat deposit they may think they already have that student fairly hooked and therefore might not need to incentivise him/her into going.
Thoughts? Should I wait?
I'm in at a school that doesn't dole out any scholarship info until fafsa, need application, and parental and student tax info are all sent in. I should have that completed and sent in soon. I'd really like to send in my seat deposit, as I'm ~99% sure I'll be attending in the fall. However, I also want to try and negotiate some scholly $$, especially since I was offered a decent amount by a not-so-far below school. If I send in my seat deposit before they start divvying out scholarship $, would that negatively affect my chances at getting some? Granted, a seat deposit isn't a binding commitment so you could always back out and send in a deposit elsewhere, but I can't help imagining that if a school sees a student already submitted a seat deposit they may think they already have that student fairly hooked and therefore might not need to incentivise him/her into going.
Thoughts? Should I wait?