Sending in seat deposit now hurt chances at negotiating $$? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cartman

Bronze

Sending in seat deposit now hurt chances at negotiating $$?

Post by Cartman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi folks,

I'm in at a school that doesn't dole out any scholarship info until fafsa, need application, and parental and student tax info are all sent in. I should have that completed and sent in soon. I'd really like to send in my seat deposit, as I'm ~99% sure I'll be attending in the fall. However, I also want to try and negotiate some scholly $$, especially since I was offered a decent amount by a not-so-far below school. If I send in my seat deposit before they start divvying out scholarship $, would that negatively affect my chances at getting some? Granted, a seat deposit isn't a binding commitment so you could always back out and send in a deposit elsewhere, but I can't help imagining that if a school sees a student already submitted a seat deposit they may think they already have that student fairly hooked and therefore might not need to incentivise him/her into going.

Thoughts? Should I wait?

tmon

Silver

Re: Sending in seat deposit now hurt chances at negotiating $$?

Post by tmon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:58 pm

I mean, you could mention that you're still considering other schools after you deposit, but what's the point? Why lose that leverage if you can just wait?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:13 pm

I really don't understand why you wouldn't wait. You basically admit its the right course of action in your post.

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 am

Wait sorry for threadjack but this brings up something I hadn't considered yet... How do you actually confirm you will be attending a school? Just send in any and all seat deposits right? Or is there something else?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 am

barneytrouble wrote:Wait sorry for threadjack but this brings up something I hadn't considered yet... How do you actually confirm you will be attending a school? Just send in any and all seat deposits right? Or is there something else?
I sent my seat deposit paperwork into Rutgers-Camden and they sent me an email confirming my seat in the fall class within a few days. I think there's a follow-up payment in a couple of months to make sure I'm still committed. Beyond that, I think everything is secured.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”