Ole Miss Vs. Arkansas Fayettville Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jwb0711

New

Ole Miss Vs. Arkansas Fayettville

Post by Jwb0711 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:07 am

Wondering if I can get some TLS'ers thoughts on these schools, as I have been accepted to both and am planning on visiting soon.

Bottom line financially I can go to either debt free. I do not want to incur any debt in going to school, as I am extremely debt adverse. I am from Texas, and have Big 4 Accounting work experience (may go back to work for them in M&A after a JD - going to meet with partners later this month).

I'm pretty sure it's going to come down to geographic preferences on where to work after getting a JD, any 1L-3L's or anybody else with some knowledge on these schools? I feel like they are pretty much the same in terms of job prospects. I realize you need to be prepared to work in the state you go to school in. How about QOL in terms of the state of Mississippi or Arkansas? I am trying to look for a deciding factor one way or the other. Ole Miss has a beautiful campus, beautiful girls, (and from what I have gathered from some lawyers I know) probably a slightly better reputation. Arkansas is slightly cheaper (less than 10k difference for total attendance), is in the Ozarks which are beautiful, and probably has a better statewide economy considering Walmart in NWA and Little Rock isn't too bad. I've never really thought of Mississippi having a booming economy.

Penny for ya'lls thoughts :)

Dr. Filth

Silver

Re: Ole Miss Vs. Arkansas Fayettville

Post by Dr. Filth » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:17 am

I'm recently from the sip, but if you want to live here it's a great place to live. I've heard some horror stories about top 5% + LR students trying to go to "big law" in Jackson, so I'm not sure how confident I would be in the Ole Miss degree. CFB game day in Oxford is pretty amazing, and I'm sure you'd have a fun 3 years in Oxford. But what are your goals for your career? That's the main question.

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I can't compare because I have exactly zero knowledge of Arkansas, but I can tell you a little about QOL at Ole Miss.

Oxford is quaint and affordable. It's become something of a "southern cooking meets local / organic / fusion" foodie destination, and there's a decent live music scene. And if you're really into music, drive an hour west and you hit the true juke joints in small Delta towns, or a little ways east for down home bluegrass in the hills. Plus you're less than an hour and a half from Memphis, which is a great city despite the total lack of recognition it gets from Ole Miss students (who are mostly from small towns and suburbs). Ole Miss itself is gorgeous, and the law school just built a brand new building. If you're into football (or, let's face it, drinking in catered tents while watching a fashion show), there's nothing like the Grove.

On the other hand, you're right that job market for JDs is tight in Mississippi. I know a number of recent Ole Miss grads who are very bright, and I don't doubt they had great grades, recommendations, and the works, who are having a tough time.

The University as a whole is going through something of an identity crisis / extended discussion about racial justice. For the most part I think everyone is on the same page about wanting to move beyond the school's ugly past, but there's a lot of contention about how best to do that, and some of the discussion can get quite unpleasant.

Jwb0711

New

Post by Jwb0711 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for the advice/follow up ya'll.

I think Arkansas is the better choice... Ole Miss is more fancy.. better campus etc. But I believe the economy as a whole is stronger in Arkansas.

If anyone has more information please feel free to share :)

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Serious question: Why would you leave a big4 accounting firm to go to a mediocre (at best) law school in a state you apparently have no ties to with very slim job prospects ex ante?

Knowing nothing about you or your career objectives outside these few posts, I'd be inclined to first say don't go to law school, and second to say if you MUST go to one of these law schools, to pick Arkansas. It's the flagship school in the slightly less shitty state.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Ole Miss can pay off exponentially, but you have to do well. If you are in the top 15%, you will get OCI interviews with biglaw firms from Birmingham. Get on board with one of those, and you're set as if you'd gone to Vanderbilt (for about 25% of the cost, not including scholarships). If you don't do that well, you have to find your own opportunities. This is not as hard as it seems if you're proactive about it.

I'd expect Arkansas is about the same. Bottom line: TTT schools can pay off big time, but they're risky. Don't go unless you're very confident in your ability.

Jwb0711

New

Post by Jwb0711 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for the sharing and info.

I think I have pretty much ruled out Ole Miss at this point.

Another option has come up... South Carolina gave me (basically) a OOS waiver for tuition. So its like 23k a year (nonresident scholly no stipulations). Worse case scenario with no paying jobs in summer 1L and 2L, I would have about 40k debt at this point going in to USC.

Arkansas - Fayettville would be no debt... I however would love to live and work in the coastal south. Can I get anyone's thought on USC vs Arkansas? I would assume the QOL is greater is SC but am unsure. I have no ties besides friends from Hilton Head and vacationing there a few times. No ties to Arkansas either.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:08 am

rad lulz wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:Don't go unless you're very confident in your ability.
How cute.
LoyalRebel.img
Glad you're back, broseph.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:10 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:15 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Serious question: Why would you leave a big4 accounting firm to go to a mediocre (at best) law school in a state you apparently have no ties to with very slim job prospects ex ante?
Please take this to heart OP. You have a great job, and you are looking to leave it to go to a couple of hyper-regional schools in parochial markets that you (apparently) have no ties to. You obviously are quite smart and driven, so please think about this and make the prudent decision. Which would be to work another year, retake the LSAT, and go to a school more in line with your goals. I think even a lower-tier Texas school would be a better decision than the ones you are considering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”