UIUC v. IUB v. Michigan State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best Option?

UIUC (50% tuition scholarship)
88%
Hastings
No votes
IUB ($10,000/year)
4%
Michigan State (75% tuition scholarship)
4%
Wayne State (full tuition scholarship)
4%

Total votes: 25

Gold

Re: UIUC v. IUB v. Michigan State

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:59 pm

jpickman wrote:If I wanted an MBA I would get an MBA.
Face, meet palm. I voted for Wayne because it's the cheapest.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Dudes throw out "just do MBA, bro" like it's easy or something. MBA outside M7 is SHIT, PURE SHIT.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Good point, but let's not forget:
Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:MBA outside M7 Law school is SHIT, PURE SHIT.

jpickman

New

Post by jpickman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:05 pm

You voted for Wayne and then decided to make a snark comment: "I stopped reading here." Check into what private equity is and then get back to me. I worked in a private equity firm this summer with literally dozens of attorneys on staff or retainer. I found what they did to be extremely interesting so that's why I asked the question. No need for comments like yours, especially when they come from someone who's clearly unknowledgable on the topic.

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:07 pm

jpickman wrote:You voted for Wayne and then decided to make a snark comment: "I stopped reading here." Check into what private equity is and then get back to me. I worked in a private equity firm this summer with literally dozens of attorneys on staff or retainer. I found what they did to be extremely interesting so that's why I asked the question. No need for comments like yours, especially when they come from someone who's clearly unknowledgable on the topic.
you are polling the internet...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:09 pm

PARTY wrote:you are polling the internet...
INTERNET IS SRSBSNS

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:22 pm

The reason why people are so dismissive of people wanting to use their law degrees to hop over to PE or ibanking or hedge funds is not because there aren't attorneys working in those fields, it's because those attorneys inevitably spent a few years in biglaw (or maybe government regulator) before making the jump. Very few people can get hired straight out of law school into those fields without some combination of prior finance experience, a T6 JD, a JD/MBA, amazing connections (like parent runs a firm), etc. Therefore, unless they have these qualifications, the prospects of anyone who wants to use their JD to transition into finance will invariably have to be looked at through the prism of how likely they are to get biglaw out of law school. And if you only have a 10% or 20% chance of doing that from a given school, you will almost assuredly never be able to use that JD to transition to finance.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:29 pm

timbs4339 wrote:The reason why people are so dismissive of people wanting to use their law degrees to hop over to PE or ibanking or hedge funds is not because there aren't attorneys working in those fields, it's because those attorneys inevitably spent a few years in biglaw (or maybe government regulator) before making the jump. Very few people can get hired straight out of law school into those fields without some combination of prior finance experience, a T6 JD, a JD/MBA, amazing connections (like parent runs a firm), etc. Therefore, unless they have these qualifications, the prospects of anyone who wants to use their JD to transition into finance will invariably have to be looked at through the prism of how likely they are to get biglaw out of law school. And if you only have a 10% or 20% chance of doing that from a given school, you will almost assuredly never be able to use that JD to transition to finance.
+1, great post.

I'd just edit the 10-20% down to maybe like 1-10% tops. Even I overestimated his chances of getting what he's aiming for. If he wants to do PE work with a JD, he'll not only need biglaw, he'll need really good biglaw doing that kind of work. Good luck landing a preftigiouf biglawl job like that from Wayne State or even UIUC.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Just do UIUC for three years, graduate top 5%, land NYC v10, last for 5+ years, and exit into Blackstone PE, bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”