UT at sticker or U of Houston with big scholly Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Re: UT at sticker or U of Houston with big scholly

Post by TJISMYHERO » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:04 am

pupperoni wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:
pupperoni wrote: and lol at UH ppl advising OP to come to UH to easily be at the top of the class.
pupperoni wrote: i said there are PPL advising OP to go to UH in the first pages, not just PPL FROM UH.
I give up.
what? you bolded a section of the first sentence and not all of it? the first section in its entirety means UH ppl are advising OP that it is ok to come to UH since it is quite easy to be at the top of class which you and others have suggested in previous posts. there is a difference between simply going to UH vs being at the top at UH. i don't know why you can't understand that and why you choose to cherry pick my quotes? what are you trying to prove? are you trying to defend your school or what? i don't understand your hostility throughout this topic.
Your statement began the hostility by suggesting that UH students are advising OP to go to UH over UT. No UH student has done so. The thread took the turn of discussing success in law school generally. I offered what worked for me. Others offered differing opinions. Now, can't we all just get along.

pupperoni

New

Post by pupperoni » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:11 am

ok truce. lol no point in continuing an internet argument

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:19 am

this thread is how law school is like. regardless of where you go, first be sure you want to be a lawyer

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:27 am

bartleby wrote:this thread is how law school is like. regardless of where you go, first be sure you want to be a lawyer
ha, +1. Also not sure why the insufferable 0L is giving advice on... anything.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 am

This is why we can't have nice things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:25 am

beachbum wrote:
bartleby wrote:this thread is how law school is like. regardless of where you go, first be sure you want to be a lawyer
ha, +1. Also not sure why the insufferable 0L is giving advice on... anything.
Dude, he has a family member who went to UT. He is well credentialed.

Also, you need to put a tar back up. Non-tar posters are super TTT.

sjj1409

New

Post by sjj1409 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:27 pm

So to get back on track a little, I've got some actual (gasp!) numbers to throw in the ring. My firm's largest office is in Houston, and we've got about 120 UT JDs and about half that from UH distributed through all our offices. Considering UT's roughly 60% larger FT enrollment, that's not too bad for such a large drop in ranking.

Not really taking either side in this, as my viewpoint is obviously firm specific. The exception is if you're planning on doing IP law, as I'd say go UH hands down (given significant scholly, of course). UH is significantly over-represented in our Texas IP/Tech Practices, and vague hearsay suggests the same at other firms in the area.

pupperoni

New

Post by pupperoni » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:30 pm

oh i am sorry i didn't know being a keyboard warrior and attending WUSTL made you so legit that you have to constantly try to insult me even though i am trying to help OP with real knowledge. i think the fact that i have a close connection with someone who recruits in texas is an asset compared to your advice which you seem to constantly pull out of thin air. tell me something kid, what makes you so qualified to speak on this topic? is there any piece of advice i said that it wrong? what does being an 0L have anything to do with this? you are that awesome because you are a 2L and that affords you the right to be a douche? do you see me giving advice on exam taking or bidding? i am just giving confirmed advice on choosing a school since i have close ties to texas.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:Also, you need to put a tar back up. Non-tar posters are super TTT.
I know, I know. I got tired of the old tar and just haven't been able to decide on a new one. I'm thinking something STL-related, but we'll see.

Also, looks like the 0L's panties are in a bunch again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 pm

pupperoni wrote:oh i am sorry i didn't know being a keyboard warrior and attending WUSTL made you so legit that you have to constantly try to insult me even though i am trying to help OP with real knowledge. i think the fact that i have a close connection with someone who recruits in texas is an asset compared to your advice which you seem to constantly pull out of thin air. tell me something kid, what makes you so qualified to speak on this topic? is there any piece of advice i said that it wrong? what does being an 0L have anything to do with this? you are that awesome because you are a 2L and that affords you the right to be a douche? do you see me giving advice on exam taking or bidding? i am just giving confirmed advice on choosing a school since i have close ties to texas.
why are you so hostile? I really don't understand it.

pupperoni

New

Post by pupperoni » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:27 pm

lol i am being hostile? i have nothing to be upset about. i made peace with tj and i am cool. just want to work things out with romo now.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:40 pm

pupperoni wrote:lol i am being hostile? i have nothing to be upset about. i made peace with tj and i am cool. just want to work things out with romo now.
lol, 100% serious, u are definitely cut out for law school

flyhigh_

New

Post by flyhigh_ » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Sorry for barging in.

I did the energy LLM concentration in Houston. My position is slightly different as I am an English lawyer.

While I can say most people haven't heard of the UHLC in Europe I don't regret having done it there. I think it is a great law school and very underrated. The ones that did hear of Houston have it in high regard as one of the leading research schools in energy law worldwide.

People in Texas are obsessed with the University of Texas but the truth is Houston is a good law school. While UT is good it is slightly overrated and I can tell you I would pick any University in the UK such as Durham over UT to study law.

We all know that being a lawyer attaches a lot of snobbery to the school you attended. However, it is not the law school that you attended that is going to practice law it is you. On that basis take the decision on which place you really want to go and don't regret it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:58 pm

flyhigh_ wrote:Sorry for barging in.

I did the energy LLM concentration in Houston. My position is slightly different as I am an English lawyer.

While I can say most people haven't heard of the UHLC in Europe I don't regret having done it there. I think it is a great law school and very underrated. The ones that did hear of Houston have it in high regard as one of the leading research schools in energy law worldwide.

People in Texas are obsessed with the University of Texas but the truth is Houston is a good law school. While UT is good it is slightly overrated and I can tell you I would pick any University in the UK such as Durham over UT to study law.

We all know that being a lawyer attaches a lot of snobbery to the school you attended. However, it is not the law school that you attended that is going to practice law it is you. On that basis take the decision on which place you really want to go and don't regret it.
Why do you think UT is slightly overrated?

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:01 pm

I'm glad that U of H worked out for you, truly, but I think this advice is really misleading on so many levels.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:31 pm

flyhigh_ wrote: People in Texas are obsessed with the University of Texas but the truth is Houston is a good law school. While UT is good it is slightly overrated and I can tell you I would pick any University in the UK such as Durham over UT to study law.
Gee thanks.

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:44 pm

I was wondering if the OP could tell us the scholarship he has, now. U of H had not started handing out scholarships when he posted, but, if he is getting one, he should have already received it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:18 pm

I don't mean this to be mean or sarcastic, but this is pretty much useless; and no, if you want to stay in Texas for your career, UT is not overrated (I say this as someone who turned down UT for another school).

flyhigh_

New

Post by flyhigh_ » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Nothing beats the English sarcasm!

Well I would turn UT down with a scholarship from Houston.

It may well be useless for you but I strongly disagree that only UT will give you the best prospects in Texas.

So why for example did you turn UT down?

InnocuousDiatribe

Bronze

Post by InnocuousDiatribe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 pm

flyhigh_ wrote:So why for example did you turn UT down?
Was it because Stanford4You? buh-dum-chh.
flyhigh_ wrote:It may well be useless for you but I strongly disagree that only UT will give you the best prospects in Texas.
I think this statement is a little confused.

It's probably as close to fact as opinion can be that, all other things being equal, UT will give you the best prospects in Texas. You're right if you meant UT is not the only school in Texas with great prospects for, e.g., Texas BigLaw--for which UHLC does fine. Still, I think a UT JD would likely serve you better to break in--again, all other things being equal. (I discount merit scholarships, as I don't think you can really count on keeping them.)

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:32 pm

flyhigh_ wrote:Nothing beats the English sarcasm!

It may well be useless for you but I strongly disagree that only UT will give you the best prospects in Texas.

I may have misread your original post, so your advise probably isn't "useless."

I turned down UT because I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay in Texas after graduation.

I agree that UT isn't the only option in Texas, but it unarguably gives you the best prospects in Texas and, if you do well enough, outside of Texas. Comparing UT's (LinkRemoved) employment information with that of UH (LinkRemoved) and SMU (LinkRemoved), IMO, makes this clear.

Also, a bit of anecdotal evidence, at my V20 firm in Dallas there were 2 1L SAs who went to UT and the rest of the 1L SAs came from T14 schools including Harvard, Columbia and NYU. No 1L SAs from SMU or UH. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flyhigh_

New

Post by flyhigh_ » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:02 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
flyhigh_ wrote:Nothing beats the English sarcasm!

I may have misread your original post, so your advise probably isn't "useless."

I turned down UT because I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay in Texas after graduation.

I agree that UT isn't the only option in Texas, but it unarguably gives you the best prospects in Texas and, if you do well enough, outside of Texas. Comparing UT's (LinkRemoved) employment information with that of UH (LinkRemoved) and SMU (LinkRemoved), IMO, makes this clear.

Also, a bit of anecdotal evidence, at my V20 firm in Dallas there were 2 1L SAs who went to UT and the rest of the 1L SAs came from T14 schools including Harvard, Columbia and NYU. No 1L SAs from SMU or UH. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.
I agree. But then again look at the size of the UT compared with UH?

I do agree UHLC is a fine law school but it is outweighted by the names you mentioned and yes if you do very well at UT your chances of being placed nationally increase. UH is a regional school not so much with the national reach of say UT or UVA or Michigan.

It would help them to get rid of that awful building and get some new facilities. I did the energy LLM and at the time it was a bargain. It is also very respected in Europe. I am returning to school in the UK Uni as Houston (however being good) does not attach a brand name.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”