Need Help Making a Decision for Fall 2012 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
xreptarrr

New

Need Help Making a Decision for Fall 2012

Post by xreptarrr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I need opinions to help me formulate a decision for law school. Here's some background info:
- Graduated 2010 with BA in Political Science from FIU
- Been working full time since senior year at a university for their fundraising operations
- LSAT/GPA: 149 (twice)/3.2

I was accepted at Barry with a $6,000 scholarship for 3 years, and St. Thomas and Nova placed me in their Summer Conditional Program. The only difference is that Nova's conditional program is just getting a C average in the 2 classes they offer (from what I understand), while St. Thomas' is a 3 week program where 2 hour sessions are given and then at the end of each week you take an exam on the material and you have to be in the top 20% of the class to be admitted to the entering class. I contacted the admissions office and they normally take up to 60-100 people for the summer program in St. Thomas. I'm not a statistician or anything but that would mean you'd have to rank anywhere from top 12-20 in the program to get in. Oh and btw, the program is $2k...

I haven't really taken Nova seriously just because I've heard it's overpriced and mediocre, so it's basically coming down to Barry and St. Thomas. My concern is that if I go with St. Thomas and don't make the top 20%, I'll get left out of St. Thomas and Barry and basically lose entry into both. Any ideas/words of wisdom?

Has anyone done the Summer Conditional Program at St. Thomas? I'd really love to get in contact with someone who went through the program to get a feel as to how strenuous the material really is. What about just paying the seat deposit at Barry just as a backup and going to the summer program at St. Thomas? I'd rather lose $400 bucks than an entire year of law school and a blemish on my application.

Any feedback would be greatly (GREATLY!) appreciated!

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Re: Need Help Making a Decision for Fall 2012

Post by Antilles Haven » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Barry is much better than Nova, just keep that in mind.

Also, you should absolutely definitely not go to any of these schools.

xreptarrr

New

Post by xreptarrr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Don't really have a choice...they're the only ones that I got accepted to. I applied at FIU and Stetson and no luck there. My plan is to just go to one of these the 1st year and then transfer to another school in Florida (like UF or FSU). Just trying to pick the lesser of two evils :|

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 pm

I don't want to crush dreams and I'm not here trying to be rude, but don't go to law school. Especially not any of those schools. And don't plan on transferring. The proposition is nearly untenable.

If you really want to go, take some time off and study like crazy then reapply.

Otherwise, don't go. Save the money and the headache. Job prospects from these institutions are bleak at best.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Antilles Haven wrote:Barry is much better than Nova, just keep that in mind.

Also, you should absolutely definitely not go to any of these schools.
Nova's international tax program is second to none. Egregious trolling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Do not go to law school. Spend your time and money doing something else.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Only go if you enjoy the idea of debt peonage

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Grizz wrote:Only go if you enjoy the idea of debt peonage

xreptarrr

New

Post by xreptarrr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Beats the hell out of going back to FIU and getting an MPA like everyone I know. Pretty soon all of Sweetwater is going to be trolled by a bunch of unemployed MPA grads. Just sayin'.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:41 pm

xreptarrr wrote:
Beats the hell out of going back to FIU and getting an MPA like everyone I know. Pretty soon all of Sweetwater is going to be trolled by a bunch of unemployed MPA grads. Just sayin'.
Those aren't the only two oftens. You're dangerously close to messing up your life by going to these schools.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 pm

xreptarrr wrote:
You will be an unemployed JD if you go to Barry or Nova, and you'll owe a shit ton of money.
ETA: don't go to law school just because you have nothing better to do with your life.
Last edited by LSATmakesMeNeurotic on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Send this person to MTal.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 pm

What is wrong with being a mechanic?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 pm

xreptarrr wrote:Don't really have a choice...they're the only ones that I got accepted to. I applied at FIU and Stetson and no luck there. My plan is to just go to one of these the 1st year and then transfer to another school in Florida (like UF or FSU). Just trying to pick the lesser of two evils :|
This is a flame. If not, you're being ridiculous. These schools are so bad they are the scuttlebutt of a two year long joke thread.

xreptarrr

New

Post by xreptarrr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:
xreptarrr wrote:Don't really have a choice...they're the only ones that I got accepted to. I applied at FIU and Stetson and no luck there. My plan is to just go to one of these the 1st year and then transfer to another school in Florida (like UF or FSU). Just trying to pick the lesser of two evils :|
This is a flame. If not, you're being ridiculous. These schools are so bad they are the scuttlebutt of a two year long joke thread.
Yeah, I'm aware of the joke thread (I did my research before going out on a limb and posting something independently). Anyway, I'll take everyone's comments under advisement and just mull it over a little more before I decide what to do. Many thanks for the honest opinions.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:27 pm

I just wanted to add please don't go to these law schools.

Lil Kev

New

Post by Lil Kev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 pm

MrAnon wrote:I just wanted to add please don't go to these law schools.
tcr

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Please don't go to a school with the intention of transferring somewhere else, because the odds are your numbers won't be good enough. Of course, you're going to tell us how you're a special butterfly that will rise above all that.

Lil Kev

New

Post by Lil Kev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
Please don't go to a school with the intention of transferring somewhere else, because the odds are your numbers won't be good enough. Of course, you're going to tell us how you're a special butterfly that will rise above all that.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:43 pm

To put into perspective why you shouldn't go to law school, your GPA is a 3.2 and your LSAT is a 149. Your plan is to go and then transfer, which requires absolutely stellar grades. Do you see any difficulty here?

smelltheglove

New

Post by smelltheglove » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 pm

I thought this was NorB joke/troll. This is serious?! Please listen to everyone and don't go. Study your ass off and retake the LSAT - you can do it! Plus, it will be a million times easier than trying to transfer.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Two great common pieces of advice you see in threads like this:

1. Don't go to a school you wouldn't want to graduate from with median grades (because the odds are that is what will happen).

2. Studying for the LSAT and retaking is way easier and less risky than trying to transfer up.

Lil Kev

New

Post by Lil Kev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 pm

lifestooquick wrote:I thought this was NorB joke/troll. This is serious?! Please listen to everyone and don't go. Study your ass off and retake the LSAT - you can do it! Plus, it will be a million times easier than trying to transfer.
Powerscore books will help quite a bit.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:21 am

Don't look at this as a decision you have to make RIGHT NOW between a) go to law school this year and b) never go to law school. You need to at the very least take a year off and reevaluate how you can get a better LSAT score. I suggest a topic in the LSAT forum, discussing in detail your prep methods. Not being able to apply to law school this year does not have to mean you will never be a lawyer. It just means you are exercising good judgment (a very important skill for lawyers) in choosing to delay law school until you can make an investment in a school that will give you decent job prospects.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”