SLS v. YLS Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
arewehavingfunyet

New

SLS v. YLS

Post by arewehavingfunyet » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi all,

So my cycle is nearly complete (13 of 14 and Columbia most likely won't be a gamechanger) and it's looking like I've narrowed my decision to Yale and Stanford. Obviously, they are both exceptional schools but I'm having a tough time making the decision (and of course their ASW's are the same weekend).

The criteria swaying me one way or another are

I have a strong interest in academia, clerkships and politics which obviously is a big push towards Yale but I am far from sure about either and not ready to make my decision solely on that.

I want a more relaxed and collegial environment and conventional wisdom seems to point towards Stanford on this but I feel like YLS 1st semester pass/fail could pay off in this regard

I would be more interested in practicing on the East Coast but am certainly open to WC practice.

I've heard that law education at YLS is, how should I say it, ethereal and SLS is a pretty grounded and excellent education.

There are other factors but mostly I was just wondering if anyone with a similar experience could enlighten me to their decision making process and what made them choose their specific school

Gold

Re: SLS v. YLS

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 pm

:roll:

arewehavingfunyet

New

Post by arewehavingfunyet » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Is there a problem with my post that deserves eye rolling? There's a HLS v. SLS thread here already and I wanted to get feedback.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:33 pm

arewehavingfunyet wrote:Is there a problem with my post that deserves eye rolling? There's a HLS v. SLS thread here already and I wanted to get feedback.
Yes. Yale is the obvious answer, and I'm sure you know it too.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1988AndX

New

Post by 1988AndX » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:48 pm

arewehavingfunyet wrote:Is there a problem with my post that deserves eye rolling? There's a HLS v. SLS thread here already and I wanted to get feedback.
For the other thread, there was no answer based on the OP's interest. In your case, your described interests point directly to Yale as the obvious choice. The main reasons to choose Stanford over Yale is IP, patent, and location.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Saw this adage on here a while back: Yale turns you down; you don't turn down Yale.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Saw this adage on here a while back: Yale turns you down; you don't turn down Yale.
Something like 20% of accepted students do...so it's not set in stone.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Saw this adage on here a while back: Yale turns you down; you don't turn down Yale.
I thought the hyperbole was self-evident. Didn't know this is srs bsns

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
I thought the hyperbole was self-evident. Didn't know this is srs bsns
Teh internet is always srs bsns.

hung jury

Bronze

Post by hung jury » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Visit both and go where you'll thrive. Keep in mind that visiting when ASW is not going on can actually be preferable to visiting for ASW.
Last edited by hung jury on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arewehavingfunyet

New

Post by arewehavingfunyet » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:33 pm

Nevermind, I was just looking for any advice or input about either school but thank god you heroes caught me bragging! What will I do without internet validation? Thanks for not helping.

caputlupinum

Bronze

Post by caputlupinum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:38 pm

arewehavingfunyet wrote:Nevermind, I was just looking for any advice or input about either school but thank god you heroes caught me bragging! What will I do without internet validation? Thanks for not helping.
I love party down!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Look up a few professors whose work interests you, try to connect with a couple of current students (outside of TLS), and visit both regardless of ASW dates.

With all of that concrete information, make the decision that is best for you. Don't let others make the decision for you. As you know, they are both incredible schools and will give you relatively similar opportunities in life.

Asleep

New

Post by Asleep » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:44 pm

caputlupinum wrote:
arewehavingfunyet wrote:Nevermind, I was just looking for any advice or input about either school but thank god you heroes caught me bragging! What will I do without internet validation? Thanks for not helping.
I love party down!!!!
+1. Amazing show.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:47 pm

There's no wrong answer. But Yale is the right answer.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm

If you really want academia and/or a clerkship, I think Yale is the clear choice. Other than that I think the opportunities are still better at Yale for things like gov and public interest, but lifestyle and student experience might play more of a factor if you're not totally decided on what you want to do. Also I think students at Stanford are probably a little more stressed below median for biglaw but obviously biglaw is very likely at both. I don't know, as I write this I would still take Yale, and I LOVE California, Stanford and all things warm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Since you're interested in academia, remember that Stanford's LRAP doesn't cover academic jobs and Yale's does.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:25 pm

With your interests, YLS seems to make more sense. More students there are interested in academia and politics, and you will get a stronger East Coast network than SLS can provide. While I can attest to the collegiality of SLS, when I visited YLS I got a similar vibe. And I can promise you wouldn't receive a second-rate education at YLS.

That being said, you can and should visit both schools, and then let your gut decide. I know a number of students who made the decision two years ago, and each self-selected into the school where they felt most at home. All are happy and have lined up great summer jobs.
kulshan wrote:Since you're interested in academia, remember that Stanford's LRAP doesn't cover academic jobs and Yale's does.
Definitely a valid point.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:54 pm

arewehavingfunyet wrote:I have a strong interest in academia, clerkships
arewehavingfunyet wrote: YLS 1st semester pass/fail
arewehavingfunyet wrote:more interested in practicing on the East Coast
With these interests Yale is as close to a no brainer as you can get.

TITCR:
moneybagsphd wrote:There's no wrong answer. But Yale is the right answer.

Also, you shouldn't care that Yale's style is "ethereal." You want clerkships and academia...Yale is built around clerkships and academia.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:04 pm

For the ultimate in exclusivity, I think TCR is to withdraw from Yale, and the frame and hang the acceptance letter/withdrawal next to each other. There are more Yale grads than there are those who rejected Yale.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:28 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:For the ultimate in exclusivity, I think TCR is to withdraw from Yale, and the frame and hang the acceptance letter/withdrawal next to each other. There are more Yale grads than there are those who rejected Yale.
Hahaha, yes. I would flip if I saw that on some professor's wall.

koalatriste

Bronze

Post by koalatriste » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Girl, if you visit Stanford and don't fall in love, there is something wring with you.

Koala says Stanford. Plus think of all the frequent flier miles you'll get during callbacks!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:44 pm

There are a few reasons to choose SLS over Yale, but you don't seem to fit into any of those categories.

SLS is better for:

Biglaw jobs
Work on the West Coast (esp. if you're not from the West Coast)

Yale is better for :

Academia
Government
Work on East Coast

As far as atmosphere, I've heard from an SLS student that its pretty intense but Yale is just as intense, if not worse. You can't go to a school that only accepts 3.9+, 99.9% LSAT, lifelong overachieving applicants and then expect students to all be relaxed.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:59 am

bdubs wrote:As far as atmosphere, I've heard from an SLS student that its pretty intense but Yale is just as intense, if not worse. You can't go to a school that only accepts 3.9+, 99.9% LSAT, lifelong overachieving applicants and then expect students to all be relaxed.
I think for the OP that this is really going to be the crucial issue. I have friends at both SLS and YLS and the student body at both seem to be somewhat different from one another. You have to remember that a lot of people who chose SLS self-selected into the school versus going to H...that brings with it a certain culture to the student body that, from what I've been able to gather, is quite different from H and Y (SLS kids feel free to contradict me if you think I'm off base here). I really think the OP should make sure to go to both ASWs and get a flavor of each campus. You're going to do great coming out of both, so the question becomes whether the OP wants to spend 3 years.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”