Where should I start?
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:33 pm
I thought I would see what TLS's collective wisdom had to say.
To keep it short, I have been accepted to a wide variety of schools as a reverse-splitter (see profile for details). When I entered the cycle, my goal was to go to as highly ranked a school I could while keeping the cost manageable (for law school that is). However, my cycle has gone a bit better than I imagined. Now, I feel like I have to pick between ranking and money. I am looking to begin negotiating for more money, but I'm not sure where to start.
Ultimately, I'd like to end up in D.C., ATL, or Charlotte or another decent-sized city in the Southeast. I also have ties to South Carolina, which puts it up on the list as well. I feel like the immediate response will be the standard "retake, reapply" advice. While normally I'd agree, I've already taken the LSAT 3 times. Though I underperformed from my practice tests (averaging around 169/170), I don't think waiting a couple of years and reapplying would help me much. There isn't much I can do with a history degree, and I honestly can't think of anything else I want to do with my life. Sitting out for a low paying job and sleeping on my parents' couch isn't really what I was looking for, but if you think that is the best option, I'm willing to listen.
I have yet to hear from 4 schools (2 reaches, 2 that i most likely will be accepted to without $), but here is where I am so far. (Amounts are per year)
UVA - Sticker
William and Mary - $14k
Iowa - Full Tuition
W&L - $22k
Wake - $20k
UNC - awaiting scholarship info
Alabama - no $, but in-state tuition
South Carolina - in-state tuition
I am also in at Baylor (with $30k) and America (no $ yet), but I have pretty much ruled these out after the UVA acceptance.
I am interested in thoughts/advice about where I should be leaning, but I am mainly interested in how to begin the scholarship negotiation. My initial thought is to begin seeing if W&L, Wake, and W&M will offer more money (hopefully around 75% tuition at least), and then see if I can get a bit from UVA. I know UVA was a reach, which makes me hesitant to try to negotiate some $ from them. I have also thought about using the Iowa $ and trying to get one of its peers to match it.
I am not leaning toward a particular school at the moment. Ideally, I would like to be weighing the options between a W&M/Wake/W&L with substantial money and UVA at sticker or with a little $. Right now I have a hard time justifying around $120k in debt from somewhere like Wake verses $220k in debt at UVA with significantly better employment options.
Also, I'd like to get thoughts on when to start withdrawing from schools I know I won't be attending.
Thus ends my ramble. Do your thing TLS.
To keep it short, I have been accepted to a wide variety of schools as a reverse-splitter (see profile for details). When I entered the cycle, my goal was to go to as highly ranked a school I could while keeping the cost manageable (for law school that is). However, my cycle has gone a bit better than I imagined. Now, I feel like I have to pick between ranking and money. I am looking to begin negotiating for more money, but I'm not sure where to start.
Ultimately, I'd like to end up in D.C., ATL, or Charlotte or another decent-sized city in the Southeast. I also have ties to South Carolina, which puts it up on the list as well. I feel like the immediate response will be the standard "retake, reapply" advice. While normally I'd agree, I've already taken the LSAT 3 times. Though I underperformed from my practice tests (averaging around 169/170), I don't think waiting a couple of years and reapplying would help me much. There isn't much I can do with a history degree, and I honestly can't think of anything else I want to do with my life. Sitting out for a low paying job and sleeping on my parents' couch isn't really what I was looking for, but if you think that is the best option, I'm willing to listen.
I have yet to hear from 4 schools (2 reaches, 2 that i most likely will be accepted to without $), but here is where I am so far. (Amounts are per year)
UVA - Sticker
William and Mary - $14k
Iowa - Full Tuition
W&L - $22k
Wake - $20k
UNC - awaiting scholarship info
Alabama - no $, but in-state tuition
South Carolina - in-state tuition
I am also in at Baylor (with $30k) and America (no $ yet), but I have pretty much ruled these out after the UVA acceptance.
I am interested in thoughts/advice about where I should be leaning, but I am mainly interested in how to begin the scholarship negotiation. My initial thought is to begin seeing if W&L, Wake, and W&M will offer more money (hopefully around 75% tuition at least), and then see if I can get a bit from UVA. I know UVA was a reach, which makes me hesitant to try to negotiate some $ from them. I have also thought about using the Iowa $ and trying to get one of its peers to match it.
I am not leaning toward a particular school at the moment. Ideally, I would like to be weighing the options between a W&M/Wake/W&L with substantial money and UVA at sticker or with a little $. Right now I have a hard time justifying around $120k in debt from somewhere like Wake verses $220k in debt at UVA with significantly better employment options.
Also, I'd like to get thoughts on when to start withdrawing from schools I know I won't be attending.
Thus ends my ramble. Do your thing TLS.