Can't believe I am asking ths question, but please humor me? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dream Machine

Bronze

Can't believe I am asking ths question, but please humor me?

Post by Dream Machine » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:38 pm

I can't believe I am asking this question. Basically, I am in my early 20s and graduated college in 2011 with a 3.81 and got a 162 on the October LSAT. I have a job that I hate, so I have applied to law schools. I still live with my parents right now in South Florida, and would eventually like to practice in South Florida, and I am hoping the market magically improves. I know; I am delusional. I applied to a bunch of schools before I received my October score, so the calibuer of schools that I have been accepted to varies a great deal. As far as Florida schools go, I have gotten into FSU (which will likely be at sticker), and Nova Southeastern with likely with a full ride, or at least a significant amount of money. My mom told me to consider Nova Southeastern and to not completely write it off because of the amount of money I would save, and because I could commute from my house. I am not trying to trivialize Nova, and I have met some VERY intelligent attorneys who practice in South Florida as well as people who do not practice law but went there for law school, but even they tell me to go to FSU. Also, I am not one of these people who is into bashing 4th tier schools and bases his entire self worth on what law schools he gets into. But can you guys please post responses on this thread so I can show this to her, and she can see how ridiculous such a thought actually is, and so she can leave me alone. Thanks.
Last edited by Dream Machine on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolfan0516

Bronze

Re: Can't believe I am asking ths question, but please humor me?

Post by dolfan0516 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I can't believe I am asking this question. Basically, I graduated college in 2011 with a 3.81 and got a 162 on the October LSAT. I have a job that I hate, so I have applied to law schools. I still live with my parents right now in South Florida, and would eventually like to practice in South Florida, and I am hoping the market magically improves. I know; I am dumb. I applied to a bunch of schools before I received my October score, so the calibuer of schools that I have been accepted to varies a great deal. As far as Florida schools go, I have gotten into FSU (which will likely be at sticker), and Nova Southeastern with likely with a full ride, or at least a significant amount of money. My mom told me to consider Nova Southeastern and to not completely write it off because of the amount of money I would save, and because I could commute from my house. I am not trying to trivialize Nova, and I have met a few VERY intelligent attorneys who practice in South Florida and went there, but even they tell me to go to FSU. Also, I am not one of these people who is into bashing 4th tier schools and bases his entire self worth on what law schools he gets into. But can you guys please post responses on this thread so I can show this to her, and she can see how ridiculous such a thought actually is, and so she can leave me alone. Thanks.
Did you apply to UF? That would be your best bet. Only thing FSU is better for than UF is if you want to work in state government in Tallahassee. Otherwise UF is far and away the best law school to go to if you want to practice anywhere in Florida.

I'm from Miami and have a sister who graduated UM law

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:56 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:I can't believe I am asking this question. Basically, I graduated college in 2011 with a 3.81 and got a 162 on the October LSAT. I have a job that I hate, so I have applied to law schools. I still live with my parents right now in South Florida, and would eventually like to practice in South Florida, and I am hoping the market magically improves. I know; I am dumb. I applied to a bunch of schools before I received my October score, so the calibuer of schools that I have been accepted to varies a great deal. As far as Florida schools go, I have gotten into FSU (which will likely be at sticker), and Nova Southeastern with likely with a full ride, or at least a significant amount of money. My mom told me to consider Nova Southeastern and to not completely write it off because of the amount of money I would save, and because I could commute from my house. I am not trying to trivialize Nova, and I have met a few VERY intelligent attorneys who practice in South Florida and went there, but even they tell me to go to FSU. Also, I am not one of these people who is into bashing 4th tier schools and bases his entire self worth on what law schools he gets into. But can you guys please post responses on this thread so I can show this to her, and she can see how ridiculous such a thought actually is, and so she can leave me alone. Thanks.
Did you apply to UF? That would be your best bet. Only thing FSU is better for than UF is if you want to work in state government in Tallahassee. Otherwise UF is far and away the best law school to go to if you want to practice anywhere in Florida.

I'm from Miami and have a sister who graduated UM law
I did, no word yet though. Thanks for the response, and GO FINS!!!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Just go to FSU if you're choices are FSU and Nova. Even that at sticker, it is dirt cheap. I disagree with whoever said that UF Law is "far and away" better. Marginally better? Perhaps. Their tax program is a big deal. But at most the scale is UF>FSU>>Miami>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nova, not UF>>>>>>>>>>>FSU>>Miami>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nova.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Whatever your goals are within Florida - D.A, Biglaw, Gov't - it will be easier to get your foot in the door if you go to a better school. You should really consider taking the LSAT again and apply in the next cycle. With your good gpa and an LSAT of say 167+ you could get 1-2 T14s to bite. What's more, even if you don't want to go OOS you would be looking at free tuition at w/e Florida school you would want to go to.

I know you mentioned you hate your job; but, you really should take the time to retake the LSAT and apply early next cycle. This would also give you time to come up with a concrete list of schools that you want to apply to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:31 pm

buckilaw wrote:Whatever your goals are within Florida - D.A, Biglaw, Gov't - it will be easier to get your foot in the door if you go to a better school. You should really consider taking the LSAT again and apply in the next cycle. With your good gpa and an LSAT of say 167+ you could get 1-2 T14s to bite. What's more, even if you don't want to go OOS you would be looking at free tuition at w/e Florida school you would want to go to.

I know you mentioned you hate your job; but, you really should take the time to retake the LSAT and apply early next cycle. This would also give you time to come up with a concrete list of schools that you want to apply to.
I can understand the re-take sentiment, but I am actually a pretty bad standardized test taker. I had to do every official practice question and practice test ever released by LSAC...twice, and I could still only muster a 162. I am pretty dumb.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
buckilaw wrote:Whatever your goals are within Florida - D.A, Biglaw, Gov't - it will be easier to get your foot in the door if you go to a better school. You should really consider taking the LSAT again and apply in the next cycle. With your good gpa and an LSAT of say 167+ you could get 1-2 T14s to bite. What's more, even if you don't want to go OOS you would be looking at free tuition at w/e Florida school you would want to go to.

I can understand the re-take sentiment, but I am actually a pretty bad standardized test taker. I had to do every official practice question and practice test ever released by LSAC...twice, and I could still only muster a 162. I am pretty dumb.
How did you review your practice tests?

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:34 pm

buckilaw wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:

How did you review your practice tests?
What do you mean exactly?

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:40 pm

The conventional wisdom is that the best way to get actual improvement during study is to thoroughly review practice tests. You do this in order to establish patterns and plan future study time. For instance, early on I missed tons of parallel reasoning questions, so I went back to the logical reasoning bible and studied that section intently, eventually I did much better on parallel reasoning questions. Over the course of many practice tests you can identify these trends and essentially fix them.

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:05 pm

The problem is that I encountered the most trouble with games. I got 11 questions wrong on the games section and still got a 162. I felt pretty comfortable with games in all honesty, but the ones I saw on the test were simply more difficult variations of things I had seen before. I probably spent the most time on games when I was studying for the test. And trust me, this was an ungodly amount of time (I literally lost weight from forgetting to eat while studying for this test.). No matter how quickly I did games in practice, it was a lot more difficult to do them under pressure come gameday, no pun intended.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”