. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 am

Last edited by AllDangle on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: Lower T14 (UVA,Mich) v. UF, for Florida market

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 am

1. Yes
2. This is a matter of opinion. I would say no. If you are open to working anywhere, then maybe - but even then it's a matter of opinion.
3. Yes
4. Can you try to find a school somewhere in the middle? Maybe a half scholarship to Emory?

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:33 am

Depends on what you want. If you want to work for one of the big firms in Florida that pay six figures, absolutely go to the T14. Unless you are on law review at UF, you will have almost no shot at one of these jobs. Of course, if you can come out of Florida for little debt, there's a very good chance you can get a job that pays in the 45 - 65k range. If you would be happy with that job, and are debt averse, go to Florida. Otherwise, the T14 will give you MUCH better chances of getting a good job in Florida.

For what its worth, I was talking to an associate at a great firm in Florida with another law student (UF 2L). He told the 2L that his firm doesn't consider applicants from UF anymore. Then I told him I went to CCN, and he asked me forward my resume.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 am

Michigan gives no preference to those applying through binding ED.

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:44 am

Please don't take this the wrong way but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLZ RETAKE. You're applying next cycle and have a very decent GPA. If you already scored a 165 once, there's no reason you shouldn't be able hit 170 or higher in June or October. A 170+ with your gpa will give you much better options including T14 with $$.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:53 am

FL biglaw not gonna happen out of UF

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:19 pm

Last edited by AllDangle on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 pm

AllDangle wrote:
kwais wrote:FL biglaw not gonna happen out of UF
A person I know at UF (2L) said that he knew people in the top 10% who were landing biglaw.
Obviously a person cannot assume they will be one of those people in the top tier, but it appears biglaw is still a possibility out of UF.
I also know someone who won the lottery. I wouldn't plan my future around it though.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:24 pm

AllDangle wrote:
kwais wrote:FL biglaw not gonna happen out of UF
A person I know at UF (2L) said that he knew people in the top 10% who were landing biglaw.
Obviously a person cannot assume they will be one of those people in the top tier, but it appears biglaw is still a possibility out of UF.
when you need to be in the top 10% at the state's flagship school to have a shot at biglaw, it is safer to assume that it is not going to happen. However, yes, your extremely scientific study has pointed out that it is not impossible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:25 pm

If your goal is Florida biglaw, you need to have backup plans. You get those from the T14, not so much from UF

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Last edited by AllDangle on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:59 pm

AllDangle wrote:Are the odds of landing a biglaw job in FL coming from a lower T14 school greater than those coming from UF to the extent that it justifies T14 sticker debt? In regards to back-up plans, the amount of debt someone would leave with after three years at UF with in-state tuition and a probable scholly would make it so they have other options available; it would not simply be biglaw or bust in order to pay off massive debt. Good way to look at it or no?
If you want BigLaw, then yes as UF isn't a viable choice. TCR is to retake and get $ at a T14.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:23 pm

blowhard wrote:
AllDangle wrote:Are the odds of landing a biglaw job in FL coming from a lower T14 school greater than those coming from UF to the extent that it justifies T14 sticker debt? In regards to back-up plans, the amount of debt someone would leave with after three years at UF with in-state tuition and a probable scholly would make it so they have other options available; it would not simply be biglaw or bust in order to pay off massive debt. Good way to look at it or no?
If you want BigLaw, then yes as UF isn't a viable choice. TCR is to retake and get $ at a T14.
Penn just posted Spring OCI employer, there is a Miami firm and DA office. Since they will only seriously consider people with ties, there will be relatively few competition. I think coming from FL to a T14 gives you a really good shot at biglaw in FL. I don't know anywhere outside of T14 or UF will give you that good of a shot short of you becoming top of class. Actually you should probably choose T14 if you are risk adverse, since taking on the debt may be a less of a risk than hoping to be in top 5% at UF.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:54 pm

Your total expected return over, say, 5 years after graduating will be MUCH higher from a T14 because you have a much higher shot of landing a biglaw job. Biglaw job + T14 sticker debt will still net you more money over 5 years than a shitlaw job and minimal debt.

Of course, if you strike out at the T14, then you are probably more screwed than if you had gone to Florida. This isn't necessarily likely, especially if you're smart about your job search, but it is a real possibility. Also, the caliber of the T14 will matter. Columbia will net much better results than Georgetown.

skirkland

New

Post by skirkland » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:22 am

AllDangle wrote: I should have more than a decent chance at gaining acceptance to UF.
take a look at my profile. We have very similar numbers. I applied at UF in november and received a 14k/year scholarship. Everyone that I've spoken with (including attorney recruiters that I volunteer under) have said that UF is top dog in Florida.

If your goal is to stay in Florida, I would go with UF. If you hurry and apply you may receive some excellent scholarship opportunities.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 am

skirkland wrote:
AllDangle wrote: I should have more than a decent chance at gaining acceptance to UF.
take a look at my profile. We have very similar numbers. I applied at UF in november and received a 14k/year scholarship. Everyone that I've spoken with (including attorney recruiters that I volunteer under) have said that UF is top dog in Florida.

If your goal is to stay in Florida, I would go with UF. If you hurry and apply you may receive some excellent scholarship opportunities.
This is true. But there are between 14 - 20 bigger dogs outside of Florida who will take jobs away from the top dogs in Florida. Ask your recruiters if, as a rule, they would rather have someone from UF or Vandy. Then Duke. Then Chicago. They'll take the bigger out-of-state dogs every time.

Also, UF is raising its tuition like crazy. 14k / yr probably won't be much more than a 2/3 or so scholarship by the time you graduate. And last year scholarship was contingent on top 50%.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”