TLS, what should I do? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ineptimusprime

Bronze

TLS, what should I do?

Post by ineptimusprime » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:57 pm

Okay. I've been accepted at Nebraska Law and should qualify for resident tuition (around 14k). My spouse will be working while I do the whole law school thing and my parents have also volunteered to help us pay for school (10k a year). I never want to live in a city with a population over 500,000 (which I think rules out BIGLAW for the most part) and would not mind practicing in a small town in Nebraska. I'd prefer to move back home (Southeast Idaho) eventually, but wouldn't absolutely hate not being able to do so.

I've also been accepted to University of Idaho, but the tuition is about $1,000 a year more than Nebraska and it's ranked a tier lower. Plus, I absolutely despise Moscow and the Northern Idaho abyss in general.

In the TLS collective opinion, is Nebraska the wiser move? I applied last cycle too, and I've already waited a year. I retook the LSAT this last october and had to cancel because a migraine set in towards the end of the first section. So is it:

(a) Nebraska at in-state sticker
(b) Idaho at in-state sticker
(c) retake AGAIN and wait another year

I'm also waiting on Texas Tech's and Utah's decisions on my apps. I can envision scenarios where I would attend both of those schools too, but at this juncture what would you do if you were me and had the career goals that I do?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: TLS, what should I do?

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Utah if costs are reasonable.

ConfidenceMan2

New

Post by ConfidenceMan2 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:06 pm

I think with your career goals, making connections fast and early in areas where you will want to practice could be important. That said, I'd be curious to know what kind of law you're hoping to practice. Why is it that you want to be a lawyer? (I don't mean this antagonistically at all, I just think it's useful information to help sort through what your best options are). What would you do if you graduated median from NE and couldn't land a JD job? Have a backup plan?

As to the above poster, why Utah, if he's interested in NE/ID? I personally think Nebraska makes sense if that's where you want to practice, but I'd strongly consider retaking and aiming for some scholarship money if I were you.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:47 pm

OP currently lives & attends school in Utah. New facilities & better job opportunities, although Nebraska's economy should be fairly strong.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:51 pm

These are not the types of schools you should move all over the country for. 20 years ago it would have been unheard of, nowadays it happens because of marketing. Stay local.

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP currently lives & attends school in Utah. New facilities & better job opportunities, although Nebraska's economy should be fairly strong.
If I'm not mistaken, they haven't even broken ground yet on the new building. When is it supposed to be done?

The current Utah law building is like unto a Motel 6. The Nebraska law building is like a lower end Marriott (Spring Hills Suites?) in comparison. If facilities were the decision-maker, it'd be Nebraska all the way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”